What's new

crazy school rules (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
elementary school: no running, you MUST walk on the center center line.

Middle school: don't go up the left side of the stairs, no swearing (that is the rule we never followed)

high school: PDA is not allowed and may get a referal to the office, no head phones, no skateboards, no swearing, no leaning over on your chair for one substitute teacher.

What are some crazy ones you have heard of.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
For elementary school weirdness, I've got all of you beat.

My elementary school had separate boy and girl playgrounds. If a girl or boy "crossed the line" to the other side there was hell to pay.

Absolutely the oddest school rule I've ever seen.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
so there was no such thing as dating in your school. I thought that the no PDA rule is insane since i see it almost every single day some where on the property.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
also another dumb high school rule that nobody follows, girls are not allowed to wear tank tops if there "lingere straps" are showing (this is how the princible told us.) If there are no bra straps scene, they can wear one.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Ryan, are you from Montgomery County? (if so, what school?) Those rules sound scarily similar to the ones I have to put up with.

At least people don't care as much if people break the silly rules. The most annoying ones, IMO, are the 'ID card' rules. If you forget your ID or are not prominently displaying it on your chest at all times, you can be taken out of class (or out of the hall) to an administrator and charged $5 for a new ID card. Absurd.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
also another dumb high school rule that nobody follows, girls are not allowed to wear tank tops if there "lingere straps" are showing (this is how the princible told us.) If there are no bra straps scene, they can wear one.
TUBE TOPS!!! :D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
When I was in high school, we had a principal who was a cross between Hitler and a rotted stump, and he decided to ban all radios including Walkmans (this was back in '83). Now I can see the point of this rule, as being applied to during classes, but they went overboard with the enforcement efforts. If you were caught with a walkman (not even listening to it, just carrying it!), even before school, after school, between classes or during lunch, you could have it confiscated. I would have gotten in less trouble walking down the hall with a kilo of cocaine than a walkman, sad to say. Everyone hated that principal.

KJP

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
did they search the backpack for walkmans since the same rule applys but if you hide it in your backpack, you wont get in trouble.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I go to school in Baltimore County too (Perry Hall High), and a lot of my friends use PDAs without a second glance from anyone. The big thing here last year was sandals. Finally, our principal cracked and allowed slides and clogs, but it's still the death penalty if you're caught wearing flip-flops. On a side note, there's actually a gang war brewing here between two groups of kids from Perry Hall and Chase, with threats of a firearm apparently being involved.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
It's been a couple *cough* *cough* years since high school, but I understand that some of these zero tolerance anti-drug policies are so rigid and absurd now that kids have been suspended and even expelled for having aspirin/tylenol. Evidently zero tolerance translates into zero common sense.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
), and a lot of my friends use PDAs without a second glance from anyone.
it is called public display of affection. At lunch the other day, two people were sitting next to me making out and all and the teacher comes up and goes "alright you two can either get a room or you can both go up to the office." We all hate him even though I had him 2 years ago. I see many in the corner insted of trying to get to class.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
PDA="Public Display of Affection" I'm assuming in this case? (I'm not that old yet)
The zero tolerance rules are lame, but dress codes, clear backpacks, ID's are all in place because of security. Along with metal detectors, drug dogs, and locker searches.
High school was a waste of time and I always got in trouble in grade school and junior high...to this day I still say I was always being framed :)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
You kids have it easy. In my second grade class, if students asked to go to the restroom, the teacher would tie them to their chairs and wait until they had soiled themselves before untying them. Then they had to stay after school and clean up the mess. This teacher’s abuse, while not a rule, per se, was sanctioned by the school and even by the parents. There’s no way something like this could happen today without, at a minimum, the teacher becoming the subject of a criminal investigation. Times have definitely changed in the past forty years. Kids today complain if they can't wear sandals. In my day, kids couldn't complain even if they went home bloody.

But academic abuse has its rewards. I was able to diagram hideously complex sentences by the end of the third grade. I’m not sure that is a skill bestowed upon even high school seniors these days.

Man, do I feel old. I gotta quit reading these threads.

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I always hated the bullshit at school. The faculty acted like thier "rules" meant something in the real world. You don't start a job and expect people not use foul language, if you do your in for a rude awakening. No running in the halls, no chewing gum during class, no talking out of turn, it's all a bunch of crap. Granted, today's schools are a lot different then those ten years ago, but that is still no excuse for stupid rules. Do they honestly think that makeing rules such as no PDAs on school grounds are going to stop kids from using them? In short, no, kids are going to want to use them more just to break the rules. I remember hearing somewhere that the United States' students education level is near the bottom when compared to the rest of the world. That says something, the public school system is in drastic need of reform. I don't want this to go into politics so I will leave it at that.
[r]Rant mode off[/r] :)

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I always hated the bullshit at school. The faculty acted like thier "rules" meant something in the real world. You don't start a job and expect people not use foul language, if you do your in for a rude awakening. No running in the halls, no chewing gum during class, no talking out of turn, it's all a bunch of crap.

How old are you?

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Back in high school I hated many of the rules, but trust me guys they don't really hurt you down the road. I know especially in the late teen years alot of people like to rebel against authority and gain a degree of independence, but the rules are there for a reason.

Most normal people do not abuse what the rules aim to stop, but there are always those few who go to far causing rules to be implmented in the first place. A few years from now, rules that seemed so important and detrimental to your high school education, will be distant memories.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks