Crazy lady yelling at my Halloween decorations

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob McLaughlin, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Last night my neighbors called and said they had called the police. Apparently there was a woman standing in front of my house screaming at my Halloween decorations. (I have a pretty elaborate Halloween display in my front yard, in fact the local hayride rerouted so it could come past my house.) My neighbors said the lady was yelling threatening things at my house like "You're gonna wish you were dead!" so they called the police. When the police showed up, the lady was gone but my neighbors got her description.

Now I wonder what her story is. I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood and in 6 years, no one has touched any of my decorations. Now I have to worry this lady is going to come burn my house down or something. Is this one of those so-called "religious" people that has something against Halloween? Should I put out a video surveillance system? Maybe I should sit on the porch all night with a shotgun.

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Yesterday my girlfriend bought the "Can't Sleep, Clowns Will Eat Me!" fridge magnet.
    I think she and your visitor have a lot in common but you probably have nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

Hey, with the right costume you could be part of the display! [​IMG]

What exactly do you have in your front yard, anyway? Maybe we can help you figure out what set her off.

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

It doesn't sound like it. It definitely sounds like a crazy lady...probably some wacko on drugs, who thought your decorations were real.

I would say that it was probably a one time thing and she probably won't come back, but if so, at least you know your neighbors are on the ball (by calling the cops). Definitely talk to the neighbors and make sure everyone phones in anything 'suspicious' to the cops again.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I would add her to the Halloween decorations. There are many imaginative ways of doing that. No one would be the wiser.

--
    H

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I guess she prefers the trick to the treat?

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Inform the police about the terroristic threats and slap a restraining order on her.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Are you sure you don't have a crazy lady in your setup? [​IMG]

You weren't at your house when this happened, right?

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

When I first read the thread title I thought it would turn out to be a "religious" thing as well, I figured they also told you to burn all of your kid's Harry Potter books....I actually saw a parent last year getting yelled at down the street because their kid was dressed up as HP. You can imagine how it went down: "your kid will burn in..." "Who the F**K are you to tell me how to..." yatta yatta yatta...[​IMG] In front of the kids, huh...Lovely.

10. Bob McLaughlin

Bob
    Actually I was inside my house watching Monday Night Football, my neighbor was on his front porch so he heard the lady and called the police. The odd thing is that the police didn't even come talk to me, my neighbor called me and told me all about it.

I know our borough police will keep an eye on things--they actually rerouted the Haunted Hayride that they run each year, just so it will come past my decorations. I'm not sure what decoration set her off, perhaps it was the scale of the whole thing: I have a headless horseman, a wizard and scorceress, a hanged man, a giant spider, a ghost, a werewolf, an undertaker and headstone, and a witch being burned at a stake. I don't have a picture but here's an article my local paper did on my front yard:
    http://www.gatewaynewspapers.com/woo...rogress/37237/

11. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I wouldn't rule out dementia either. Pure folks.

12. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    That's a very nice article Bob. So I take it you're not going to Transylvania this year? [​IMG]

We gotta see some pictures.

13. andrew markworthy

Maybe she was pointing out that Halloween is still three weeks away, so why have you got your decorations up already? [​IMG]

Sorry, Bob, I'm not intending to belittle what sounds like a pretty cool display. It's purely a Brit's instinctive reaction - we don't make a particularly big deal out of Halloween (except for moaning about trick or treating, which is a relatively new thing over here, and like litigation lawyers, something we feel should have stayed the other side of the Atlantic).

14. MarkHastings

I know! You can't see my decorations because my Christmas tree is too bight. [​IMG]

15. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

[​IMG]

I loved that moment in the Simpsons..... and so did some of my conservative religious friends.

16. MarkHastings

Speaking of the Simpsons...

[​IMG]

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You reap what you sow, even if it takes some 500 years to grow [​IMG].

--
    H

18. Bob McLaughlin

Bob
    Hilarious, Mark! I'm a sucker for a Simpsons reference.

We Yanks put up our Halloween decorations earlier every year, it seems. I start seeing Halloween merchandise as soon as the back-to-school sales are over.

No trip to Transylvania this year--we had a baby instead. We really were planning a Transylvania trip before we got pregnant!

I will have to take some pics of the display and will post soon, hopefully there will be enough daylight when I get home, although to really do it justice you need to see the display after dark.

19. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

[​IMG] I knew someone would beat me to the Simpson's tie in.

It's still a little scary, though. I'm thinking dimentia ala alzheimers or schizophrenia. I think if it had been a religious nut they would have made sure to find someone home to rant at. I'd definitely double check the locks and set the alarm at night if you have one. A wireless camera trained on all of your hard Halloween celebratory work couldn't hurt either to catch any vandalism or hopefully catch a pic of your new friend.

Harry and the Hogwart's gang just can't win. Religious over indulgers complain about the demons and "real" practicing witches complain that they ride the broom backwards. Halloween has never had anything to do with devil worship. Devil worship never really had anything to do with devil worship for that matter.

20. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm so sorry, I realize that this is completely insensitive of me, but the topic header for this thread almost made me keel over laughing! [​IMG]