What's new

Crazy idea for a floor mat (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I am wondering if anybody has ever cut out a section of carpet (the size of a standard floor mat) and did that instead of trying to remove the door and shaving off the bottom and installing weatherstripping... my rear door has no clearance to the existing carpet such that I have to place my floor mats a doors length away. This means the carpet that is there is already getting dirty and in need of replacement. I just painted the hallway the door goes to and thinking about replacing the carpetting there. I'm thinking of leaving out a rectangular shape (the size of a standard floor mat) and simply putting the floor mat, flush to the carpet.... Has anybody done this? I wont nail it down or anything so it can be lifted and shaken out and stuff, but it might be a good way to do this without affecting the draft from the door which is nicely sealed as it is. (don't mess with a working door strategy).

The added bonus is I wont have to deal with shifty mats too...

jay

Janna S

Second Unit
Hi Jay!

It's pretty common to cut away (or not install at all) the carpeting in front of an outer doorway. Often you will see tile or hardwood or linoleum on the floor in that entry area, which makes it a visually separate entryway or vestibule area. I'd recommend taking the carpet out in a nice size and shape, so it doesn't look like you just cut a small chunk of spoiled carpet out - so it looks like a planned entrance area. I'd put a chunk of vinyl or tiles down. Here in Alaska, where it's common to take your shoes off when you enter a home, that uncarpeted entry floor area is usually piled high with shoes and boots.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi Janna of the north! Yeah, I guess tiling would work, but wont address the purpose of the floor mat. I had a floor mat right outside the door on my deck but after a rain, I found that water will pool underneath the mat for days...weeks on end which I didn't like. I could get another outside mat with a more open pattern so hopefully water wouldn't sit there, but was thinking the inside idea would be kind of cool, an integrated floor mat. The carpetting in the hallway is in need of repair anyway and I want to do that before I install floor/crown molding

Jay

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
How are you going to keep the edges of the cut carpet from fraying? The tile idea is the way to go. Make the tiled area large enough such that you can put a mat off to the side of the door.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I've seen the tile approach used before and I agree it makes sense here.

But if you want to use the carpet also, you can keep the edges from fraying by having it bound at a carpet store.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think I am going to go with the tile idea...

How should I cut/treat the tile/carpet border to prevent fraying... do I use a "saddle"? like I would between a hardwood floor and carpet?

I'm considering thinking of perhaps using Bluestone

instead of tile because of it's history and origin of Bluestone quarrying in the Catskills, a place I am frequently hiking in. It's mostly an exterior product used for walkways, sidewalks, etc, but would this be silly to try to use it instead of tile in my hallway. It would have real cool as my hallway is going to already have a "outdoors" theme.

I plan on getting crown and floor molding in somewhat of the nature/leave theme and then paint trees on my walls and make it like walking through the woods. I can get stencils of oak and maple leaves and make it like fall with fall colors and stuff..

I'm having a lot of fun planning this out! I think the bluestone would compliment this plan and it means a lot to me, being an avid hiker and a avid Catskills hiker too.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks