What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One more thing about tonight's Noir Alley selection, it's 111 minutes long similar to "The Asphalt Jungle" so make sure you add some additional minutes to your record time. Otherwise, you'll probably miss a good portion of Eddie's "after" comments.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This morning, I completed a personal project mine, every movie I own digitally I input into my DVD Profiler by retailer, price, date and video format. This also includes any digital codes I redeemed. For most people this isn't much of a project, but with over 2,000 movies in my digital library, it was something of a task for me. I wish I did it from the beginning, but now that it's done, I can now input all of my future digital titles quite easily with enough information to give me some context for each film title. Based on seeing those prior digital purchases in full view, I will be tightening up my future digital purchases as I've noticed some extravagant and unnecessary spending on my part. Far too much repetition with some movies that I can rectify with better spending choices and restraint.
Congrats on completing that task, Robert. I am fortunate that I've been inputting the films I purchase for many years into DVD Profiler (even in the days when it was Intervocative Software). Along with purchase date, cost and retailer, I also keep track of each time I watch a particular title (and also when my wife watches, too). It makes it easier sometimes to decide what to watch -- I'll look for something I haven't seen in a long time.

I am curious how you were able to enter purchase date, retailer and price after the fact. Did you save all your receipts? That's something I never did.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Congrats on completing that task, Robert. I am fortunate that I've been inputting the films I purchase for many years into DVD Profiler (even in the days when it was Intervocative Software). Along with purchase date, cost and retailer, I also keep track of each time I watch a particular title (and also when my wife watches, too). It makes it easier sometimes to decide what to watch -- I'll look for something I haven't seen in a long time.

I am curious how you were able to enter purchase date, retailer and price after the fact. Did you save all your receipts? That's something I never did.
It was a major pain in the rear end. It was a manual process in which I scoured each digital library on iTunes and Vudu including cross checking between each streaming service. I went back into my iTunes purchase history and logged everything. The same with Vudu. The most difficulty I had was with film collections like Iconic Films of the 1950s. iTunes doesn't list the titles in your purchasing history, but luckily, iTunes notes which studio so I was able to piece titles together. A long process that I take full responsibility for not doing in the beginning.

If I had to do it all over again, at the time of purchase or receipt of purchase I would have logged everything including discs I bought. No way I can do the same retroactively with my physical library as too many retailers and titles involved with 22-23 years of disc collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This was my second viewing of "Nora Prentiss" and thought it has some Noir elements, However, I don't agree with Eddie as thinking of it as being Noir when I'm usually more liberal in the use of that terminology. The film is rather boring which is why this was only my second viewing. No offense to the actors who were fine in their respective roles. Due to script deficiencies, you really had to suspend your ability to accept how believable the film's premise was, particularly, the last 20 minutes of the film. My main problem about this not being a Noir film is the following
there are no bad people in this film, I'm talking about people without any redeeming values. The wife at first was kind of restrictive, but she wasn't a bad person. Her last few sequences with her husband made up for her earlier coldness towards him. The title character was a good woman despite being the other woman and a nightclub singer.

By the way, the DVD's video presentation is mediocre at best and I'm being kind using those words. By the looks of it, the TCM presentation was represented of how the DVD looked on my display. Not one of Warner Archive's best efforts. Also, this movie illustrates the hypocrisy of the production code which I'll explain in more detail later after others watch this film, but I think some of you will realize what I'm talking about after seeing this movie. As to Ann Sheridan, I always thought her best screen partner was James Cagney. Perhaps, it was both of them having red hair.;) Seriously, I think they had good screen chemistry together due to their on-screen personalities and their smart ass exchanges.

Next week's Noir Alley showing I'm really looking forward to as I finally sit down and watch my Region B Blu-ray of it. A really fine film that borders on greatness with me.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nora Prentiss. What a murky, messy, noisy, hissing print. And why in the hell is it called Nora Prentiss? Her role is one-dimensional, and totally subservient to milquetoast Kent Smith, who I'd never in a million years believe she'd be attracted to.... Unless the early part of the film focused instead on HER crazy, wild, adventurous life and volcanic amours, which she then might be motivated to go the opposite direction and choose someone safe and bland. But why have her just suggest that in a few lines of dialogue? SHOW IT up front. And then I'd believe this is Ann Sheridan's picture. She really blew it passing on Mildred Pierce.

I perfectly understand why no one has been motivated to restore or remaster this film from this murky, noisy, hissing mess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nora Prentiss. What a murky, messy, noisy, hissing print. And why in the hell is it called Nora Prentiss? Her role is one-dimensional, and totally subservient to milquetoast Kent Smith, who I'd never in a million years believe she'd be attracted to.... Unless the early part of the film focused instead on HER crazy, wild, adventurous life and volcanic amours, which she then might be motivated to go the opposite direction and choose someone safe and bland. But why have her just suggest that in a few lines of dialogue? SHOW IT up front. And then I'd believe this is Ann Sheridan's picture. She really blew it passing on Mildred Pierce.

I perfectly understand why no one has been motivated to restore or remaster this film from this murky, noisy, hissing mess.
Come on Wayne, tell us how you really feel about Nora Prentiss.;) You're right, she blew it turning down Mildred Pierce which was a much better film than this one.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, join my voice to others who think this was not up to the usual quality of fare on Noir Alley. I didn't believe for a second that Sheridan would find Kent Smith her ideal and wait for him with Robert Alda ready, willing, and able to make an honest woman of her. And that ending was really absurd, too. Nope, just not a very good film.

I also agree about the print: poor quality and the sound was awful (got worse as the movie played: lots of hiss and flutter).

I did enjoy Eddie's comments even if I didn't agree with them. I do wish Ann had done more musicals. She had a fine singing voice.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This was my second viewing of "Nora Prentiss" and thought it has some Noir elements, However, I don't agree with Eddie as thinking of it as being Noir when I'm usually more liberal in the use of that terminology. The film is rather boring which is why this was only my second viewing. No offense to the actors who were fine in their respective roles. Due to script deficiencies, you really had to suspend your ability to accept how believable the film's premise was, particularly, the last 20 minutes of the film. My main problem about this not being a Noir film is the following
there are no bad people in this film, I'm talking about people without any redeeming values. The wife at first was kind of restrictive, but she wasn't a bad person. Her last few sequences with her husband made up for her earlier coldness towards him. The title character was a good woman despite being the other woman and a nightclub singer.

By the way, the DVD's video presentation is mediocre at best and I'm being kind using those words. By the looks of it, the TCM presentation was represented of how the DVD looked on my display. Not one of Warner Archive's best efforts. Also, this movie illustrates the hypocrisy of the production code which I'll explain in more detail later after others watch this film, but I think some of you will realize what I'm talking about after seeing this movie. As to Ann Sheridan, I always thought her best screen partner was James Cagney. Perhaps, it was both of them having red hair.;) Seriously, I think they had good screen chemistry together due to their on-screen personalities and their smart ass exchanges.

Next week's Noir Alley showing I'm really looking forward to as I finally sit down and watch my Region B Blu-ray of it. A really fine film that borders on greatness with me.
I just watched Nora Prentiss on the WatchTCM app. I had never seen it before but I enjoyed the heck out of it. I agree it's not really a noir, but I'd classify it as a melodrama. If Warner were to release a nice HD version, I'd buy it. As for the production code,
well we know that "immorality" couldn't go unpunished. The big sin in this case was adultery, but I think faking your own death might also quality as a crime, perhaps insurance fraud?, not to mention the disservice he did to the dead man's family who would have wondered what became of him. So Kent Smith wasn't all that innocent. I believe the hypocrisy you refer to is that Nora was just as guilty of adultery and she walks off scot-free with the implication of happiness following behind her?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah,
but should he pay with his life as I'm not implying he wasn't innocent when it comes to adultery and insurance fraud. Also, the dead man didn't have any family.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched my MOC Region "B" Blu-ray of "Pickup on South Street". A fine looking disc that's a huge improvement over the Criterion DVD disc that I kept due to some bonus material. I'll try to watch some of the bonus material this weekend on both discs before I listen to Eddie's before and after comments. Man, Jean Peters was one good looking woman. Her NYC accent was a little bit in this film, but she was really good. I always thought it strange seeing Richard Kiley playing against type here. As previously stated, Thelma was excellent in this movie and so was Richard Widmark as the cynical pickpocket.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yep, I'm tired of waiting for some domestic company to release this classic, and I have just ordered the MOC Blu-ray. I don't even have it on a commercial DVD, just a DVD-R I recorded years ago from the Fox Movie Channel. Can't wait to get it though I suspect I'll have watched the Noir Alley telecast before the disc arrives here.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yep, I'm tired of waiting for some domestic company to release this classic, and I have just ordered the MOC Blu-ray. I don't even have it on a commercial DVD, just a DVD-R I recorded years ago from the Fox Movie Channel. Can't wait to get it though I suspect I'll have watched the Noir Alley telecast before the disc arrives here.

You'll be pleased with the disc. The picture quality is superb.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Now playing on my HomePods...

93ED28A5-2B79-4195-9A60-ADC636C1F14E.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Schedule has been revised as noted below.

TCM's Noir Alley Revised 2019 schedule.

03-09-19: D.O.A. (1950)
03-16-19: High Sierra (1941)
03-23-19: Lady in the Lake (1946)
03-30-19: Border Incident (1949)
04-06-19: 99 River Street (1953)
04-13-19: Nobody Lives Forever (1946)
04-20-19: M (1951)
04-27-19: Woman on the Run (1950)
05-04-19: Nightmare Alley (1947)
05-11-19: White Heat (1949)
05-18-19: Key Largo (1948)
05-25-19: Dead Reckoning (1947)
06-01-19: The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
06-08-19: Nora Prentiss (1947)
06-15-19: Pickup on South Street (1953)
06-22-19: Shadow on the Wall (1950)
06-29-19: On Dangerous Ground (1951)
07-06-19: The Tattooed Stranger (1950)
07-13-19: The People Against O'Hara (1951)
07-20-19: While the City Sleeps (1956)
07-27-19: Thieves' Highway (1949)
09-07-19: The Big Clock (1948)
09-14-19: Nocturne (1946)
09-21-19: The Woman on the Beach (1947)
09-28-19: The Harder They Fall (1956)
10-05-19: Trapped (1949) replaces The Bribe (1949)
10-12-19: Clash By Night (1952)
10-19-19: This Gun For Hire (1942)
10-26-19: Force of Evil (1948) replaces A Woman's Secret (1949)
11-02-19: Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
11-09-19: Johnny Eager (1941)
11-16-19: The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
11-23-19: Kansas City Confidential (1952)
11-30-19: The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
12-07-19: Berlin Express (1948)
12-14-19: Criss Cross (1949)
12-21-19: Cash on Demand (1961) replaces I Died a Thousand Times (1955)
12-28-19: Repeat Performance (1947)
01-04-20: The Big Sleep (1946)
01-11-20: The Captive City (1952)
01-18-20: The Big Night (1951)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks