What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (6 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Doris Day had a career to be proud of: a slew of hit films in many genres and a lot of people she made happy with her mere presence in a film, a hit TV show that ran for five seasons, a succession of million-selling records that have entered the pantheon of standards, and animal activism for decades that in itself is deserving of headlines. And all of this stardom done while pretty much keeping to herself and not begging for headlines or scandal to keep her name before us. A class act! I loved her and will deeply miss her.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Doris Day had a career to be proud of: a slew of hit films in many genres and a lot of people she made happy with her mere presence in a film, a hit TV show that ran for five seasons, a succession of million-selling records that have entered the pantheon of standards, and animal activism for decades that in itself is deserving of headlines. And all of this stardom done while pretty much keeping to herself and not begging for headlines or scandal to keep her name before us. A class act! I loved her and will deeply miss her.
Eloquently worded tribute to a great lady!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the HD stream of "Donovan's Reef" this morning that I purchased on iTunes for $4.99. It's not a pristine transfer, but it's an improvement over the 2001 DVD as I sampled that disc again this morning. This film cracks me up and is a direct tie-in to my youth as I remembered seeing this film at my local movie theater when I was a little kid with my older brother. This 1963 film is definitely not politically correct as it pertains to today's standards, but I still enjoy watching this movie very much. IMO, Lee Marvin makes the movie much more enjoyable to me as his character of Gilhooley is just so funny. His reaction to that train set gets me every time. To this day, I wished I had a train set like that one.:) I wish Wayne and Marvin did more than three films together as they had good film chemistry. I imagine that Ford, Wayne and Marvin got along swimmingly between drinks and takes. Anyhow, a wonderful supporting cast with Elizabeth Allen, Jack Warden, Cesar Romero, Dorthy Lamour, Marcel Dalio and Mike Mazurki with some fine cameo appearances by Edgar Buchannan and Dick Foran. IMO, an underrated John Ford comedy.

48949_front.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tonight, I watched a stream of "The Glass Key" (1935). Not a quality stream, but it served it's purpose. IMO, the 1942 film version is better than this 1935 film version. Better cast and improved writing.

220px-The_Glass_Key_%281935_film%29_poster.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've set my new DVR for this week's Noir Alley, but I'll have to decide if I want to watch Key Largo on the DVR recording or my Blu-ray. I'm glad it's spurring me to choose because I've been meaning to revisit it anyway and kept finding something else to watch instead.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've set my new DVR for this week's Noir Alley, but I'll have to decide if I want to watch Key Largo on the DVR recording or my Blu-ray. I'm glad it's spurring me to choose because I've been meaning to revisit it anyway and kept finding something else to watch instead.
Matt,

I haven't even watch my Blu-ray of "Key Largo" and it's embarrassing to admit to such a shortcoming.:blush: Anyhow, so you know which format I'm going to choose tonight. Another Blu-ray that I kept aiming to watch, but never got around to watching it.

Look at this photo of Edward G. and Claire that looks to take place back in the 1930s as both appear much younger than in "Key Largo".

191276.jpg

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
That photo must be from when Robinson and Trevor were co-starring together as Steve Wilson and Lorelei Kilborne in the "Big Town" radio series. I've been listening to some of those just in the past two weeks. There are about nine episodes from the fall of 1937 included on a Radio Spirits collection of the series. Not sure how long they remained the stars of the show together, as others eventually took over the main roles into the 1940s.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I spent the afternoon going to my local movie theater to watch "Tolkien". A solid movie about the writer of "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Ring" books.

220px-Tolkien_film_promotional_poster.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt,

I haven't even watch my Blu-ray of "Key Largo" and it's embarrassing to admit to such a shortcoming.:blush: Anyhow, so you know which format I'm going to choose tonight. Another Blu-ray that I kept aiming to watch, but never got around to watching it.

Look at this photo of Edward G. and Claire that looks to take place back in the 1930s as both appear much younger than in "Key Largo".

191276.jpg
A great movie and the Blu-ray's audio and video presentations were top notch. I'm looking forward to hearing Eddie's comments about this film. John Huston had one terrific year in 1948 with this film and "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". Bogart got ripped off not getting any acting nominations. No offense to Olivier in Hamlet, but Bogart's performance in "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" was tremendous and perhaps his best acting performance. I'm sure the voting was split for him and he did play a despicable character in one of those films.;) My girl Claire Trevor was really good in "Key Largo". She is still one of my favorite all-time actresses.

225px-Key_largo432.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One more thing, 1948 was one helluva film year. It's up there with some other great film years that distinguishes themselves from other film years.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Claire Trevor's performance in Key Largo's justly won the AA. The scene where Robinson forces her to sing Moanin' Low is unforgettable.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Claire Trevor's performance in Key Largo's justly won the AA. The scene where Robinson forces her to sing Moanin' Low is unforgettable.
Absolutely. But Robinson is just as riveting as Trevor in this. Would have been a shoo-in for a supporting actor nomination, but I suspect he wanted to be placed in the Best Actor category and there were just too many other top performances from that year for him to place there. If Bogie couldn't get in there with Madre or Largo, Robinson wasn't going to get in either. Hard to believe he was NEVER nominated for anything in his career.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eddie's comments were excellent as always and I appreciated his tribute to Richard Brooks. As some of you know, Brooks is one of my favorite directors and I considered his writing skills to be his strongest suite. I simply love his written dialogue in so many of his films that he either directed or just wrote the screenplay for. An underrated director that has never received the notoriety that he deserved.

I'm glad he acknowledges Claire Trevor's great performance in this film. Yes, Eddie G. was excellent in "Key Largo". Another actor that was never given the accolades he deserved for his acting career.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Key Largo. I can't believe I haven't seen this film before (or don't remember from perhaps a 60s TV viewing). Top notch writing, directing and acting all around. Robinson and Trevor are definitely the stand outs, but don't forget Barrymore. His helplessness and despair in the wake of Rocco was heartbreaking and palpable, and when also he's told the Osceolas were dead.

The fun Muller comment was the bit actor who went on to invest $5,000 to start Hamburger Hamlet, which later sold in 1987 for $33 Million. I contributed to that fund having many meetings with my agent at the Hamlet on Sunset right at Doheny in the 80s before it sold. That was the business lunch location. There also was one right on Hollywood Boulevard across from the Chinese Theater. That was the tourist mecca location. Location location location.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    H-508
    Recent bookmarks