What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If you want some interesting listening, here is a 4 part conversation between Raymond Chandler and Ian Fleming. There is a fighting chance some adult beverages were involved...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This weekend's "Noir Alley" film is "Border Incident". A very underrated film that's about a subject matter that is still relevant today almost 70 years after this film was released.

border-incident-movie-poster.jpg

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If anybody has become a fan of Eddie Muller because of Noir Alley - I highly recommend the commentary he did with Kim Morgan for the DVD of "Road House." They are literally drinking booze during it. It is highly entertaining.:emoji_ok_hand:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have seen Border Incident before, but I look forward to watching it again tomorrow at lunchtime with Eddie's comments adding to the enjoyment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If anybody has become a fan of Eddie Muller because of Noir Alley - I highly recommend the commentary he did with Kim Morgan for the DVD of "Road House." They are literally drinking booze during it. It is highly entertaining.:emoji_ok_hand:
Yeah, I've experienced other audio commentaries with Eddie and Jame Ellroy in which it appears some booze was being consumed as those commentaries were not only informative, but highly entertaining. Some pretty funny stuff.

I haven't watched my Blu-ray of "Road House" yet, luckily, Kino has included that same audio commentary on that BD release. I need to check it out as I didn't listen to it when I viewed the previously released DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watching "Border Incident" reminded me again that I hardly recognize James Mitchell in this movie. Arnold Moss is very good in this film and Alfonso Bedoya died too young as I always enjoyed his appearances in films.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Border Incident. Man, that is one gritty film. I'd seen it before;
George Murphy's fate is unforgettable, but watching this time around I still kept thinking Rodriguez would save him in time. Nope. Brutal.

Per Muller's comments, it's good they showed the corruption on the American business side because simply enforcing E-Verify (the government requiring all employers check the database for legal workers before hiring) would certainly dissuade most illegal immigration for work, but the corruption doesn't stop there. Lobbyists make sure no state that depends on 70% immigrants for agricultural work (or hospitality work) abides by it. My state just elected a governor who specifically ran on enforcing it; but he's already backing down on it. The former governor backed off as well after $400,000 in lobby money flowed against it. Business always trumps enforcement. This film justifies comments about such policies.

But this film reduces the issue to the very personal and deeply disturbing reality in the trenches.... literally. And what a powerful statement it is. And a great, tight script and some fantastic suspense sequences. It should be required viewing for every socially conscious American, and every film lover.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Border Incident is a brutal and harrowing film through much of its running time. Must have absolutely shocked audiences of the day that a big star on the side of right could go down and go down gruesomely. It was very clear that the world was changing after the horrors of World War II. The movie was filled with so many familiar faces (some that didn't even get billing) that Eddie could have gone on for another hour discussing the superb cast.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I'm going to use my Sinemia subscription to watch "The Philadelphia Story" at my local Quality theater complex. I don't remember ever seeing this on the big screen.

philadelphia.jpg

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Philadelphia Story and The Maltese Falcon always seemed to be the second feature at the revival houses I’d frequent back in the ‘80’s. I saw each of them dozens of times and really grew to appreciate them, after having a lukewarm reaction to each on first viewing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Philadelphia Story and The Maltese Falcon always seemed to be the second feature at the revival houses I’d frequent back in the ‘80’s. I saw each of them dozens of times and really grew to appreciate them, after having a lukewarm reaction to each on first viewing.
My first exposure to "The Philadelphia Story" was in the 1960s during my childhood watching the following TV show on channel 2 WCBS out of NYC. If I had to guess, I watched this film about 40-50 times in my lifetime. Today's theater viewing looked great and they had the 4K restoration segment just ahead of the film so it's the same transfer used on Criterion Blu-ray.

http://www.lumenick.com/february-26-1963-wcbs-goes-to-all-night-movies/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How do you like this snapshot? Three of my all-time favorites in one photo with Bogart, Flynn and Garfield. Since, it's been about two years from my last viewing I'm going to watch my "Dodge City" Blu-ray this weekend.

All the stars and VIPs pose during a stop in Rio Puerco, New Mexico. Standing from left to right are Lya Lys, Gilbert Roland, Frank McHugh, “Big Chief Santa Fe”, Maxie Rosenbloom, Priscilla Lane, Errol Flynn, John Garfield, Jack L. Warner, Humphrey Bogart, Rosemary Lane, Jean Parker, Wayne Morris, Frances Robinson, John Payne, and Alan Hale. Crouching at center in the black hat is Lee Lyles, vice-president of the Santa Fe Railroad. Seated on the tracks are Leon Turrou (former FBI agent and consultant on Warner Bros.’ soon-to-be-released Confessions of a Nazi Spy), Hoot Gibson, Buck Jones, and Guinn “Big Boy” Williams. Note the used flash bulbs on the tracks.

DodgeCity_DGCT1005.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks