What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (5 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Clark also reviewed this Blu-ray import of "Reap the Wild Wind" (1942) with an all-star cast including my guy John Wayne. I'm tempted to buy this all region BD release, but I might wait to see if this gets released in Region A. I thought I read somebody like Kino might be releasing it in 2019.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/reap-the-wild-wind-review/
The Kino Insider has confirmed a Region A BD release.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4700000/

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Did anyone listen to the latest Warner Archive Podcast entitled "Dangerous Duos"? At the very end George gave some hints about projects they were working on. He said they were finishing up work on a 3-strip Technicolor musical. Which one could it be?

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did anyone listen to the latest Warner Archive Podcast entitled "Dangerous Duos"? At the very end George gave some hints about projects they were working on. He said they were finishing up work on a 3-strip Technicolor musical. Which one could it be?
Yesterday, I was too busy watching Alita: Battle Angel and traveling back and forth between two movie theaters that were 40 and 60 miles from my home so I'll try to listen to it today. Below is a link to their latest podcast.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/warner-archive-collection-podcast

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If I had to guess, I'd say Show Boat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I'm going to my local cinema and see "To Kill a Mockingbird" on the big screen. I'm sure I'll have some flashbacks to when I first saw this film in a movie theater as a young boy with the rest of my family back in 1962.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I'm going to my local cinema and see "To Kill a Mockingbird" on the big screen. I'm sure I'll have some flashbacks to when I first saw this film in a movie theater as a young boy with the rest of my family back in 1962.
After using the Sinemia application to purchase my movie ticket, I remembered I watched this great film in a movie theater again back in 2012, when it was about to be released on Blu-ray to celebrate its 50th Anniversary. I almost didn't go today because of that, but I decided to go anyway and I'm happy I did so. Watching the film today after so many previous viewings, I got emotional during my screening today. I don't remember ever having that type of reaction beforehand about this film. However, today; I did shed some tears as I'm becoming more emotional in my old age.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

As mentioned, it could be Show Boat but it might be a Judy Garland (The Pirate or Summer Stock) or Astaire (Yolanda And The Thief, Three Little Words or Royal Wedding) or one their musical bios (Till The Clouds Roll By or Words And Music) or perhaps Annie Get Your Gun! My own personal hope is that it is Good News with my Junebug, an absolutely delightful musical confection and screaming out for a HD release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I spent my afternoon watching the 4K/UHD releases of "Captain America: The First Avenger" and "The Little Mermaid". Both looked and sounded great on my HT setup. I think just about all of the remaining Marvel films not yet on 4K/UHD will be released in the coming months. I wanted to watch all of the Marvel films in order this year, but that might be complicated because I want to watch them all in 4K/UHD.

As to "The Little Mermaid", I never bought it on Blu-ray for some reason. So my 2006 DVD is the last time I watched it. Damn, the movie came out 30 years ago. Time does fly by.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
iTunes is having a big sale of Warner titles with most of them $4.99 in HD. Below is some of those titles. Again, most of them are $4.99 with a few of them $5.99-7.99 range. There are some titles more expensive that I didn't list below.

Straight Time
Up the Down Staircase
Till the Clouds Roll By
A Stolen Life
Torch Song
Sex and the Single Girl
Shoot the Moon
Lone Star (1996)
Klute
The Thin Man
Gigi
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
A Guy Named Joe
The Mask of Dimitrios
Around the World in 80 Days (There are 2 selections for this title, but one has iTunes Extras with it)
East of Eden
Citizen Kane
A Face in the Crowd
High Sierra
In This Our Life
Bells are Ringing
Fort Dobbs
Marie Antoinette
The Good Earth
The Lusty Men
The Champ (1931)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anybody seen the movie "The Girl He Left Behind" starring Tab Hunter and Natalie Wood? It's on sale too on iTunes for $4.99 in HD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A bunch of more titles just got added to this sale. Wow!
I want to say thank you again, Crawdaddy, for the tip and listing some titles because I went right there and bought some and watched one of my all-time favorites Up the Down Staircase this afternoon. Color is much stronger than the DVD, and it's cleaner, too, if not completely spotless, making me think it won't come to Blu-ray, so glad I have this now to fall back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks