What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (4 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those of us that own the OLED65E6P which video settings do use? Value Electronics calibrated the following settings for me:

HDR Effect Medium
ISF Expert (Bright Room)
ISF Expert (Dark Room)

Up until today, I used the HDR Effect Medium to view any 4K/UHD presentations, whether on 4K/UHD discs or 4K/UHD showings on DriecTV. For Blu-rays and DirecTV 720p or 1080i/p viewings, I've used ISF Expert (Bright Room) for daylight viewings and for night time viewings, I'd used ISF Expert (Dark Room) setting. I have a great deal of ambient light in my HT room during daylight hours.

So today, I was watching some "Sherlock" TV episodes during the daytime that I recorded beforehand and decided for kicks to watch them with the HDR Effect Medium setting. After some comparisons between that setting and ISF Expert (Bright Room) setting, I preferred to watch those recorded episodes with the HDR Effect Medium even though it was only displayiing 1080i instead of the normal 2160p you get with 4K/UHD programming. The HDR effect made it a more pleasurable picture to my eyes.

Have any other 65E6P or other 4K/UHD model owners experimented with the same settings?
After several days of watching everything utilizing the HDR Effect Medium setting, I've decided to keep that setting active going forward. It gives me a more detailed and pleasant viewing experience no matter the programming. Sports, classic films, newer films and even studio shows.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Blue Gardenia is playing tomorrow morning on Noir Alley. I can't wait to hear Eddie Muller's comments about that film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I so much want this film on Blu-ray disc! I haven't watched the DVD for some time but going from memory, the elements seemed to need a lot of work. What was the picture quality of the TCM showing? Good enough to prompt Warner Archive to consider a Blu-ray release?
It looked good, but not quite good enough for a BD release in my opinion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been slacking in my viewings of Planet Earth II. I need to get back on track with that release as I've been busy clearing out my DVR recordings on several shows I had to watch before deleting them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
After several days of watching everything utilizing the HDR Effect Medium setting, I've decided to keep that setting active going forward. It gives me a more detailed and pleasant viewing experience no matter the programming. Sports, classic films, newer films and even studio shows.

That's interesting. It must be the OLED display that allows for that. I have two different settings saved on my Vizio 4K LED display -- one for 1080p material, and another for 4K UHD material. The latter setting is too bright for the former material. Last night, after we watched the UHD disc of Lucy I recently bought on sale, I forgot to return the setting back to my 1080p calibration before watching a hockey game. I couldn't figure out why the ice looked so blown out, then I checked which setting I was using. Doh!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning I watched the 4K/UHD of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and thought it was another 4K/UHD disc. However, several sequences in this film scream for 3-D, so I'll be trying to buy that disc if it's ever on sale or low enough price point.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I want to pick up the UHD version of Fantastic Beasts once the price drops (I do not have a 3D display). I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and films, so feel comfortable making this a blind purchase. I have no plans to upgrade my BD copies of the Potter films, though -- it would take an incredibly low price to entice me.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This morning I watched the 4K/UHD of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and thought it was another 4K/UHD disc. However, several sequences in this film scream for 3-D, so I'll be trying to buy that disc if it's ever on sale or low enough price point.

Yep, that is the dilemma I have with this particular film. I couldn't decide what to do this past week so I didn't buy it. Probably not a bad thing as I don't have time to watch it right now and I can pick it up on sale in the future. If they both drop in price, I may buy both versions even though that's not something I like to do.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Blue Gardenia is playing tomorrow morning on Noir Alley. I can't wait to hear Eddie Muller's comments about that film.
My latest viewing of "The Blue Gardenia" was enjoyable. Muller's commentary before and after each movie makes that experience very worthwhile. I loved his comments about Raymond Burr. It is ironic that the actor best known for playing Perry Mason always played the villain in film career. He was excellent in those roles, but he was always the bad guy. Other classic bad buys like Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine, at least, mixed in some good guy roles during their villain playing days.:) Come to think of it, some our best villain actors became good guys like Bogart, Widmark and Kirk Douglas to name a few. William Powell was another one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched "Song of the Thin Man" yesterday which was the last of the Thin Man films. It wasn't up to the first three films, but it had its moments.

Also, I finished the first of the two "Planet Earth II" discs. The 2160p video is absolutely gorgeous. I'm going to try to watch the second disc this week.

This week, I'm going to the movies which I haven't been doing a lot of since getting my OLED panel.:) I plan on seeing "Beauty and the Beast" and "Ghost in the Shell". Opening later this week is "Gifted". After watching the trailer, I am really interested in seeing this film.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After viewing last night's episode of "Feud", I would love to see the de Havilland sisters be the subject matter of this series. However, I don't expect anything to come of it or any other type of movie about them until Olivia passes away.

As to last night's episode, another great one with some very good guest appearances by Sarah Paulson and Serinda Swan. Both, Sarandon and Lange nailed their parts last night. Some great acting there, particularly, Lange's performance in Anne Bancroft's dressing room. I didn't know that Wendell Corey was president of the academy. Interesting seeing him be approach by his former co-star in Harriett Craig.;)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My latest viewing of "The Blue Gardenia" was enjoyable. Muller's commentary before and after each movie makes that experience very worthwhile. I loved his comments about Raymond Burr. It is ironic that the actor best known for playing Perry Mason always played the villain in film career.
Your point is well taken ...but not always ...
1005cf214bb51fb18114eb8bbab9ea38.jpg
;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some updated viewings on my part:

I finished watching the "Planet Earth II" 4K/UHD discs. I'm surprise more people haven't been talking about this release. Just beautiful seeing nature in 2160p. My favorite segment is the one on "Cities" followed by the "Desert". I'm going to watch the bonus Blu-ray disc sometime this week.

I watched "Ghost in the Shell" at my local Dolby Atmos theater in 3-D. I had little or no knowledge of the source material or previous film, but I totally enjoyed this film. Nothing like seeing Scarlett in 3-D.:D

I viewed the Target "Rogue One" 3-D Collectible Edition disc and thought it looked and sounded reference quality. As with my other viewings on my LG panel, I had the HDR "Medium" setting activated during this viewing. As to some complaining about the CGI faces of Fisher and Cushing, I had zero problem with them on my OLED E6P. IMO, I thought they looked better on my panel than what I remembered during my previous 3 viewings on various movie screens.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
So ... You indicated that you might try to catch the new "Beauty and the Beast" as well. Did you get the chance to view it? What did you think of it? (My wife and I think it's *terrific*!)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So ... You indicated that you might try to catch the new "Beauty and the Beast" as well. Did you get the chance to view it? What did you think of it? (My wife and I think it's *terrific*!)
I'm going to see Beauty and the Beast tomorrow. My local theater screwed up on their discounted Tuesday pricing so I got to see this Dolby Atmos 3-D presentation for $8.50 instead of the usual $11.50 ticket cost.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Color me envious, Robert that you've chewed through the Planet Earth II series, Scarlett and Rogue One in a short period of time.

Scarlett in 3-D should be a priority for me...

960201_Ghost_in_the_Shell_Scarlett_Johansson_2_aeac805303d6c795b51ea920f763a012.png
After seeing her earlier in her career, I must say she has turned out to be a very attractive woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks