What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm now watching "The Great Gatsby" (1949) starring Alan Ladd on DVD. It's an Australian import that plays on Region 1 players. The video presentation is mediocre, but to finally have this 1949 film version to watch is good enough for me. Not bad for $12.06 which was the discounted sale price from Deep Discount. I think I saw this film version back in my youth as I have some vague memories of it. I've been trying to see this film again for the last 35 or so years and now I'm finally watching it again.:) The year 2018 has been an excellent year for me in regard to finally getting to watch so many of my "holy grail" film titles on physical disc that have been missing from my collection for decades. Also, I think Ladd is very good as Jay Gatsby. Though, I'm not feeling the same for Betty Field as Daisy.

MV5BYjllODg0ZGYtYzE1OS00ZTc3LThmYjYtMjg0ZDM3ODlhZjYyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTcxMDI2MDY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This weekend's Noir Alley selection is "His Kind of Woman" (1951) starring Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price, Tim Holt, Raymond Burr and Charles McGraw. I must say the best part of this film is Vincent Price as the hammy actor. Of course, Burr playing his usual villainous role. Eddie is going to have a field day with comments about this film as it had problems due to Howard Hughes involvement. Without a doubt, he's going to discuss the casting of the Nick Ferraro role which eventually went to Burr.

woman+lobby.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great film. Wish Warners would release some of these RKO films on blu ray.
Another interesting fact about this film noir/crime film is the length of it. At 120 minutes that's quite a bit longer than most films from that genre. I suggest setting some extra time on your recording, otherwise, you might miss Eddie's closing comments.

MilesCullen

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce Trojanowski
Another interesting fact about this film noir/crime film is the length of it. At 120 minutes that's quite a bit longer than most films from that genre. I suggest setting some extra time on your recording, otherwise, you might miss Eddie's closing comments.
Eddie Muller posted on Twitter yesterday that not only will the film will be long, but also his intro and outro. So I'm guessing plan for 2.5 hours if you are recording:

https://twitter.com/EddieMuller/status/1081399499736571906

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When you're dealing with classics, time must be spent discussing their greatness. We're SO lucky TCM is generous enough to let him talk. Like you, I can't wait to hear what he has to say about this movie (and then watch the movie, hopefully in good quality).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When you're dealing with classics, time must be spent discussing their greatness. We're SO lucky TCM is generous enough to let him talk. Like you, I can't wait to hear what he has to say about this movie (and then watch the movie, hopefully in good quality).
One thing I noticed is that TCM must have some rights restrictions when it comes to certain Noir Alley titles in which they're restricted from having it available on the TCM app. The latest of such titles is "Double Indemnity" which is a Universal property.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One thing I noticed is that TCM must have some rights restrictions when it comes to certain Noir Alley titles in which they're restricted from having it available on the TCM app. The latest of such titles is "Double Indemnity" which is a Universal property.
Yeah, I noticed that. Last week, I was away from home, and my DVR went offline so I couldn't remotely program it to record Noir Alley. I had my tablet with the TCM app on it, but I forgot until midway Sunday morning to open it and watch. Thus, I missed Eddie's introductory remarks. I did watch most of the movie and then hear the end comments, but I was very disappointed the movie and his comments didn't appear on the TCM app for me to watch later in the day. Of course, I have the Blu-ray of the movie, but I did want to hear what he had to say about it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I noticed that, too. I do wish they would at least put Muller's comments up for access -- I wouldn't watch the film that way anyway, since I have a nice shiny BD disc sitting on the shelf. I would have loved to hear his comments, though.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
His Kind of Woman, a very wacky adventure-thriller. Not quite noir in my book, but as Eddie said, it's such a mix of so many genres that it's hard to classify it. Howard Hughes may have been enchanted with Vincent Price's character, but I found him tiresome in the end. The Mitchum-against-the-world story was all that interested me. Eddie's comments were, as always, illuminating. I wonder who the actor was who filmed the scenes that Raymond Burr inevitably filmed?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
His Kind of Woman, a very wacky adventure-thriller. Not quite noir in my book, but as Eddie said, it's such a mix of so many genres that it's hard to classify it. Howard Hughes may have been enchanted with Vincent Price's character, but I found him tiresome in the end. The Mitchum-against-the-world story was all that interested me. Eddie's comments were, as always, illuminating. I wonder who the actor was who filmed the scenes that Raymond Burr inevitably filmed?
Hell, about half of the movies shown on Noir Alley are not noir according to the strict definition of “film noir”. I always liked this movie, but it’s 20-25 minutes too long. However, Burr was the right choice as the villain.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That finale for "His Kind of Woman" went on forever (80 minutes by Muller's count), and it was so obvious Hughes was delighted with Price that there was just way too much of him in the end. I had to fast forward through some of this one. Curious, but will not go on my need to see again list. But I'll watch anything Mitchum does. He has been a favorite ever since I saw "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" as a kid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday I had my first viewing experience in a Dolby Cinema movie theater. It was my second viewing of "A Star is Born" 2018 with Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, Sam Elliot and Dave Chappelle. Wow! Very impressive as I'll be checking out that Dolby Cinema movie theater quite often even if I have to make a 120 miles roundtrip to do it. With AMC's A-List in which you can see 3 movies every week for just $19.95, I'll be doing some better planning in the near future so I can enjoy that cinema experience again while also seeing another film playing in an IMAX theater that is just across the hallway. Unfortunately, the AMC theater complex in my city is second rate so I'll try to limit my viewings there to about 6 or so movies per month. It's called a classic AMC theater so it gets some movies that don't play in my other two favorite local movie cinemas. I'll also use it to watch certain movies a second or third time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning I watched "The Heroes of Telemark" on Blu-ray disc. The BD is barebones without any extras that Sony released on Tuesday.

MPW-1905

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This weekend's Noir Alley selection is "Lured" (1947) starring George Sanders, Lucille Ball, Charles Coburn and Boris Karloff. Also, some other outstanding character actors like Cedric Hardwicke, Joseph Calleia, Alan Mowbray and George Zucco are in the cast. Directed by Douglas Sirk, this will be my first viewing of this film. I'm going to watch my Blu-ray from Cohen Media which also has an audio commentary by Jeremy Arnold so I'll probably end up watching this movie twice over the next 24 hours. It will be interesting to compare his commentary to Eddie's comments about the film.

lured-finalposter.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks