What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When you say move the listing here, what do you mean? If you mean to put it in this thread, I would suggest you don't and instead keep it as a separate thread that you update as time permits.
The problem is the listing itself hasn't been updated since February, 2007 and that thread's last post was back in November, 2009. Not exactly an active thread.:) I don't know, it seems like a lot of work with over 1100 titles. I might just bold the names of films that have disc releases.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think it was @Thomas T that felt the complete opposite of your POV about the two film versions. Perhaps, he'll offer his opinion as I value all opinions.

I've seen five filmed versions of the Emily Bronte novel: the 1939 William Wyler film, the 1950 TV production with a young Charlton Heston as Heathcliff, the 1970 Timothy Dalton version, the 1988 Jacques Rivette version (which barely resembles the Bronte novel) and the 1992 version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche. So far none of them is the definitive version of the Bronte novel. The 1939 version is just the first half of the book (similar to East Of Eden using only the last third of the Steinbeck novel). That being said, I love the 1939 film in spite of its imperfections (so perhaps you're confusing me with someone else :)). Heston makes a fierce Heathcliff in the 1950 TV production and I would have loved to see him tackle the role on the big screen. The thing I remember most about the 1970 film is the gorgeous Michel Legrand score, so beautiful that I bought the soundtrack CD. The Jacques Rivette version is, um ..... interesting but as I said, very little resemblance to the source material. I wasn't impressed with the 1992 version and found Juliette Binoche's Cathy a little too "Gallic".

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've seen five filmed versions of the Emily Bronte novel: the 1939 William Wyler film, the 1950 TV production with a young Charlton Heston as Heathcliff, the 1970 Timothy Dalton version, the 1988 Jacques Rivette version (which barely resembles the Bronte novel) and the 1992 version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche. So far none of them is the definitive version of the Bronte novel. The 1939 version is just the first half of the book (similar to East Of Eden using only the last third of the Steinbeck novel). That being said, I love the 1939 film in spite of its imperfections (so perhaps you're confusing me with someone else :)). Heston makes a fierce Heathcliff in the 1950 TV production and I would have loved to see him tackle the role on the big screen. The thing I remember most about the 1970 film is the gorgeous Michel Legrand score, so beautiful that I bought the soundtrack CD. The Jacques Rivette version is, um ..... interesting but as I said, very little resemblance to the source material. I wasn't impressed with the 1992 version and found Juliette Binoche's Cathy a little too "Gallic".
You must check out the Bunuel version for his directorial touches. They're quite perverse and, at times, surrealistic. The 1939 version is well directed and shot, gorgeous score; however, Geraldine Fitzgerald's performance towers over everyone else's, particularly the very weak Oberon.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
You must check out the Bunuel version for his directorial touches. They're quite perverse and, at times, surrealistic. The 1939 version is well directed and shot, gorgeous score; however, Geraldine Fitzgerald's performance towers over everyone else's, particularly the very weak Oberon.

I've not intentionally avoided the Bunuel version, it's just never been available to me and to the best of my knowledge never released in R1 (I don't do bootlegs). I have a region free player so if anyone knows of a legitimate release outside the U.S.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Perhaps, I'm easily confused.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've not intentionally avoided the Bunuel version, it's just never been available to me and to the best of my knowledge never released in R1 (I don't do bootlegs). I have a region free player so if anyone knows of a legitimate release outside the U.S.
I don't think it's available in R1 (unaware of any release anywhere else). I saw it as a child on the big screen and was particularly fascinated by the ending (no spoilers), which is quite Bunuelian (did not know that at the time), and by the use of the Liebestod, (again, music which was foreign to me but which grabbed me in an intoxicating way that I could not explain until many years later, when Wagner's musical world enriched my life beyond words). I did see the movie again as an adult at MoMA, knowing much more about both Bunuel and Wagner. Oh, and I've read the novel twice.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Through movies like “Psycho” I became fascinated with the music of Bernard Herrman. In the ‘70s I collected every recording I could find, including classical compositions.

One of these was a multi disc recording of his opera version of “Wuthering Heights”. This version is magnificent, but at 5 discs, is longer than some Wagner operas, and true to the novel unremittingly grim. Herrman refused to cut anything, and it is only rarely produced even after his death. Its very authentic and uses passages from the book and Bronte written poetry.

It would be a marathon in the theatre, but is very interesting played over a couple of days in parts on your iPhone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MV5BNDg2NjIxMDUyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzEzNTE1NTM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I ventured out to my local cinema to watch "Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) on a 70 foot screen with Dolby Atmos. Wow! Despite the film inaccuracies, I thought the film was outstanding. One of the best films I've seen this year. I was a casual fan of their music during they're hay day which means I liked certain songs more so than some others they produced, so I'm not really aware of the inaccuracies of their exact storyline. I figured half of my movie audience based on age and stuff were in the same boat as I, in which we're not diehard fans. This movie made $50M this past weekend. You have to figure that a bunch of crossover patrons were part of that box office. Hell, I might see it again because the Dolby Atmos was that tremendous with its musical numbers. I remembered watching Live Aid at home so seeing the reenactment of the concert did bring back some memories of it. God, Freddie Mercury was a great performer as lead singer of one of the most influential bands in rock music. My favorite Queen song is "Under Pressure" with David Bowie. I can listen to that song ten times in a row.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've always been a fan of survival stories and have watched The Naked Prey numerous times over the years. Certainly one of my favorite films in that particular genre. I recently picked up the Criterion Blu-Ray but haven't viewed it as of yet.

Thanks for the link to Mike Clark's review. I find myself in agreement with most of Mr. Clark's sentiments.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've always been a fan of survival stories and have watched The Naked Prey numerous times over the years. Certainly one of my favorite films in that particular genre. I recently picked up the Criterion Blu-Ray but haven't viewed it as of yet.

Thanks for the link to Mike Clark's review. I find myself in agreement with most of Mr. Clark's sentiments.

- Walter.
Yeah, Clark goes back to the days of Siskel and Ebert. Now, with those two gone, he's one of the few reviewers I like to read on a regular basis. As to "The Naked Prey" I recently picked up that Criterion release on sale even though I own the MOC Region 2 Blu-ray. I hope one day in the near future to sit down and watch both discs and their supplemental material. I always enjoyed this film so perhaps I'll do what I say I want to do.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been into this film for the last four hours or so. I've watched it twice on DVD once with Eddie Muller's commentary that I didn't realize he did until I look at the DVD case this morning. I watched much of it a third time from Noir Alley recording so I can hear Eddie's comments again about this film and to measure that video presentation of that broadcast versus 2009 DVD. IMO, this is an excellent film! I've seen bits and pieces of it over many years, but never watched the entire film. Shame on me for not watching this film beforehand. I'll reserve any further comments about the film until others have watched and expressed their film opinion. By the way, Eddie's comments about a certain "Hollywood Squares" personality brief appearance in this film were different on Noir Alley than what he stated on the DVD commentary. On the commentary he insisted it wasn't that person but another actor he named, on Noir Alley, he just says he couldn't verify it was him. IMO, it was him based not only on his looks, but sound of his speaking voice which many of us that grew up on the 1960s knew very well due to his frequent TV appearances.

One more thing, this is the serial killer Albert Fish that was mentioned in the film by Richard Kiley's character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Fish
It looks like the TCM app isn't carrying "The Sniper" for streaming on iTunes. I don't know if it's a rights issue or not? I want to post some more comments about this very underrated film and will do so in the coming hours. I couldn't stop thinking of it, days after viewing this film. The film's ending wasn't something I expected and it was very effective to me. I can see why they only showed three of his killings so they don't completely have the audience without any sympathy for him by film's end, if they continue to show his brutal murders of women. Now they can attempt to show this was a disturbed human being that the system allowed to slip through the cracks. In short, his killing spree could've been avoided if he was institutionalized and treated for his mental illness instead of being released out into society.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The TCM app didn't have Tales of Manhattan from the other night either, and I was very disappointed as I forgot to have the DVR record it for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another Anthony Mann directed film for me today on DVD "The Tall Target" (1951) starring Dick Powell, Adolphe Menjou, Paula Raymond, Marshall Thompson, Will Geer, Ruby Dee and Leif Erickson. A film about the attempted assassination of Abraham Lincoln as he made his way to his first inauguration in 1861. The plot is discovered by a NYC cop played by Dick Powell as he try's to stop it from happening with the attempt planned for Baltimore as Lincoln's train arrives there briefly before arriving in DC. Of course, the ironic fact about this cop is that his name was John Kennedy. It's been a while since I last watched this film, but it's a really good suspenseful film with a really good cast and is only 78 minutes in length. Mann was really a terrific director and this film shows his directing talents on full display. I highly recommend this film to anybody interested in suspense films with an air of film noir added in.

220px-The_Tall_Target_poster.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching "The Tall Target", I was in the mood for another Dick Powell film, "Station West" (1948) with Jane Greer, Agnes Moorehead, Burl Ives, Tom Powers, Raymond Burr, Gordon Oliver, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams and with smaller roles for Regis Toomey, Steve Brodie, John Kellogg and John Doucette. This RKO western is about an undercover army officer is investigating some gold shipment robberies that resulted in some soldiers getting killed in the process. Another fine film that I haven't seen in years, but there has always been one jump sequence in this film that always bothered me with Powell and Moorehead involved in that film sequence. IMO, it was a messy cut by the film editor probably at the behest of studio executives. Either way, it always bothered me, even so, I always enjoyed this western especially Powell's interaction with Greer and Ives. Lastly, this is another short film at 80 minutes which means it was probably used as double feature during its theatrical run.

MV5BN2U3YWJjOWItOWY3Yy00NTMxLTkxMGUtOTQ1MzEzODM2MjRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MTk0MDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A couple more things about "The Sniper". I loved the amusement park scenes, with him at the shooting gallery and then the dunk tank. A great piece of filmmaking there. Another scene that was funny, but sad was the police lineup sequence with the various convicted perverts brought in for a police lineup.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another scene that was funny, but sad was the police lineup sequence with the various convicted perverts brought in for a police lineup.
This particular sequence made me very squeamish; I didn't find it very amusing poking fun at people (even criminals) for their dysfunctional behavior. It's no laughing matter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This particular sequence made me very squeamish; I didn't find it very amusing poking fun at people (even criminals) for their dysfunctional behavior. It's no laughing matter.
I respect that perspective as it's the right one to have, but I did laugh the first time I watch the scene. Not so much the second or third time as other emotions and thoughts overcame me.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching "The Tall Target", I was in the mood for another Dick Powell film, "Station West" (1948) with Jane Greer, Agnes Moorehead, Burl Ives, Tom Powers, Raymond Burr, Gordon Oliver, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams and with smaller roles for Regis Toomey, Steve Brodie, John Kellogg and John Doucette. This RKO western is about an undercover army officer is investigating some gold shipment robberies that resulted in some soldiers getting killed in the process. Another fine film that I haven't seen in years, but there has always been one jump sequence in this film that always bothered me with Powell and Moorehead involved in that film sequence. IMO, it was a messy cut by the film editor probably at the behest of studio executives. Either way, it always bothered me, even so, I always enjoyed this western especially Powell's interaction with Greer and Ives. Lastly, this is another short film at 80 minutes which means it was probably used as double feature during its theatrical run.

MV5BN2U3YWJjOWItOWY3Yy00NTMxLTkxMGUtOTQ1MzEzODM2MjRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MTk0MDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
The more I looked into this film's playing time, the more I think it's been cut after release. I see longer running times on sites like AFI than the actually runtime on the DVD. It was an RKO film, so who knows what may have happened here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks