1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Message #1161 of 3185 Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    NFL football the rest of the day even though my teams stink to the high heaven. Also, probably the third episode of "From the Earth to the Moon" and Bluebloods on my DVR.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    While Eddie's comments are always illuminating, I was a little disappointed he didn't go more into some of the other key members of the supporting cast: Kent Smith has a major role in the film and I wanted to hear more about Selena Royale. And Richard Egan had some good moments in the early going, too, that I thought might get some Eddie love.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, so much for binge watching as I'm already through 6 of the 12 episodes. Part of the blame goes to the Raiders stinking up the joint so I lost interest in NFL football for the day and turned my attention to this HBO series.:)

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I noticed "Three on a Match" (1932) a Pre-code film I haven't seen in several years was playing on TCM. I pulled out my Forbidden Hollywood Volume 2 DVD collection and watched it again last night. Only about 63 minutes long, but with a tremendous cast including the following:
    Joan Blondell
    Warren William
    Ann Dvorak
    Bette Davis
    Humphrey Bogart
    Lyle Talbot
    Edward Arnold
    Allen Jenkins
    Jack La Rue
    Glenda Farrell

The story is about three girls who grow up in NYC in which one was the smartest girl in the class, another was the most popular one and the third was the incorrigible one. Their individual paths take a drastic turn for each of them. A great performance from Dvorak, who's character goes from the penthouse to the outhouse. Minor roles for Bogart and Arnold, but highly effective with their limited screen time. Davis with her blonde hair looks attractive a long way from "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane".;) I think it's one of the first films that has drug abuse in it. I always wondered why Dvorak didn't become a bigger star. She had the looks and acting chops.

[​IMG]

This morning I watched episodes 7 & 8 of "From the Earth to the Moon". I'll watch one more episode today and leave the final three episodes for either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Those Forbidden Hollywood sets are wonderful. I need to go through mine again.

Too many films on the shelves, and too little time to re-watch them. :(

Suzanne.S likes this.
  6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

It’s really sad watching “First Man” and “From the Earth to the Moon” and then realizing that today, in 2018, NASA can’t so much as launch a crew to replace the failing gyros on the Hubble Telescope. *sigh*

Rodney and Hollywoodaholic like this.
  7. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I agree.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I read up on her yesterday, it appears her personal life and some bad career decisions might have hurt her. I'm going to watch another of her films later this week.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    James Cagney was one helluva of an actor. Looking back at the 1938 films, as good as Tracy was in "Boys Town", I thought Cagney was better in "Angels with Dirty Faces". Cagney should have won the Best Actor that year. The range he exhibited in that film was simply amazing. The "Dead Man Walking" scene and the pivotal scene in the death house was such great acting. Man, he was superb in this film. That death house scene was meant to be ambiguous according to Cagney, but I always thought his character was thinking of his best friend and did it for him. The famous Cagney shrugging of the shoulders and neck twitching mannerisms were from this film. Also, what a great cast with Pat O'Brien, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan, George Bancroft and the Dead End Kids. The classic story is about two boys from the lower East Side of NYC in the 1920's in which one grows up to be a priest and the other boy gets sent to reform school and becomes a career criminal. Great cinematography by Sol Polito. The death house sequence was tremendous camera work with the shadows and lighting. The great Michael Curtiz directed this film and he was AA nominated twice that year for Best Director, one for "Four Daughters" and this film. The same year he directed "The Adventures of Robin Hood" which got a Best Picture nomination, but not a directing one. Curtiz had one great year in 1938.

[​IMG]

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    A busy day today with "Affair in Trinidad" and "The Man Who Invented Christmas". Both via streaming from TCM app and Amazon Prime respectively. I'll report back my thoughts later on. I've seen "Affair in Trinidad" beforehand at least 2-3 times as I have it on DVD too.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I finished the last of the 12 episodes yesterday. I particularly like the last three episodes which dealt with science, some of the astronaut wives, and the last mission on the Moon. Such a great series needs to be released on Blu-ray.

B-ROLL and Scott Merryfield like this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I noticed iTunes has a bunch of titles on sale including HD Digital of "Dark Victory" and "Stage Door". I have the former on Blu-ray, but the latter only on DVD. Also, "Song of the Thin Man" is $4.99 in HD.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

We really need The Thin Man series on BD. My wife and I both love these films -- we just watched our DVD set again recently.

Rodney, Keith Cobby and DavidJ like this.
  14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Me, too. They upconvert quite nicely although many of them display some dirt, damage, and need some work.

15. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Yes, we do. The wife and I both love them and our 12 year old does too.

16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Based on this post, I went ahead and got this on iTunes. I just watched it. Beautiful looking transfer. I’m surprised Twilight Time chose not to release it on Blu-ray as some of their releases look far worse than this iTunes file. The stereo sound also has directional dialog. And as to the
    decision of the clergy to not let Bogart tell the people the truth that he wasn’t really a priest, I thought, how typical, the Catholic Church and their coverups. :rolleyes:

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I had a slight detour as far as which movies I did watch over the last 24 hours or so. I didn't get a chance to watch "The Man Who Invented Christmas" yet. I did watch "Affair in Trinidad" (1952) starring Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford. This was their 4th of 5 pairings on film for these two stars. An okay film in my opinion about a night club singer and her brother-in-law trying to find out who murdered her husband. What I never understood is why the brother was killed in the first place? That plot point never made sense to me. Hayworth was good though as well as Ford.

[​IMG]

Robin9 likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Next up was "Theodora Goes Wild" (1936) a romantic comedy starring Irene Dunne, Melvyn Douglas, Thomas Mitchell, Spring Byington and Thurston Hall. Over the years I've never been a big fan of Irene Dunne, but the older I get, the more I like her. I guess part of my early disdain for her was due to her musicals, as I didn't like musicals when I was a younger except for a very select few. With that said, I have to say that Dunne was an excellent actress that could play drama, musicals and comedies. This was her first comedy and she received a Best Actress nomination for it. I'm from Connecticut and this is another Hollywood movie in which a fictitious Connecticut town serves as a back drop to the main storyline. Anyhow, it's about a straight-laced woman that has been writing romance novels under a pseudonym unbeknownst to her uptight family and town. She meets her publisher's illustrator of her novels and romance blooms between the two of them after he follows her back to her hometown from NYC, along with the complications from her family as well as some similar complications affecting his life . This is my second viewing of this film as I decided to finally watch my 2010 DVD of it after seeing it playing on TCM app. I have to admit that I really liked this film. Dunne and Douglas were excellent and Spring Byington has always been a favorite character actress of mine.

[​IMG]

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Another TCM showing gave me the idea to watch my DVD of "They Met in Bombay" (1941) starring Clark Gable, Rosalind Russell, Peter Lorre and Reginald Owen. An action drama film about two jewel thieves that fall in love at the early stages of WWII while trying to escape police custody. Not a great film by any imagination, but it's still an entertaining film that was directed by the underrated Clarence Brown. Some of plot points are inconceivable so you have to go along with them in order to enjoy this film. The movie has some comedic moments along with some good action scenes, particularly towards the end of the film, when the movie takes a right turn into WWII battle sequences. It's been many years since I watched this film in its entirety, but I'm glad I did so. It held up well to me.

[​IMG]

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, I'm surprise they didn't release it on BD too after doing so on DVD. Perhaps, those sales weren't good.