What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Howard Hughes may have treated her like crap, but at least we have him to thank for giving us Jean Simmons' excellent turn as a femme fatale in Angel Face.

And that ending. Kind of knew it was coming, but pretty shocking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Howard Hughes may have treated her like crap, but at least we have him to thank for giving us Jean Simmons' excellent turn as a femme fatale in Angel Face.

And that ending. Kind of knew it was coming, but pretty shocking.
Considering the year this film was made, I bet you it was more shocking then.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't watch Noir Alley except to listen to Eddie's comments about "Angel Face" (1950). His comments are similar to what he stated during his audio commentary on "Angel Face" DVD. Since, I just watched that DVD less than six months ago, I decided to watch another film instead which was "The Lady Eve" starring Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda and Charles Coburn. I watched it in HD on iTunes, but I'm getting ready to watch it again on DVD from Criterion because I wanted to listen to the audio commentary. Talk about a film title that needs to be released on Blu-ray.

20f1805d98de4fd5f2e78c5ebbd28248.jpg
I love this film, but even when I first viewed this film when I was in high school, I never did get what exactly Jean saw in Hopsie for her to fall in love with him. Was it him being naive and somewhat innocent except being a little too strident in his thinking about women. I don't know, I never got the attraction she felt for him. Sure, he was good looking, but kind of a dope.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I love this film, but even when I first viewed this film when I was in high school, I never did get what exactly Jean saw in Hopsie for her to fall in love with him. Was it him being naive and somewhat innocent except being a little too strident in his thinking about women. I don't know, I never got the attraction she felt for him. Sure, he was good looking, but kind of a dope.

It was the slap. No one's ever done anything like that to her before. That raised her excitement level and was the ultimate turn on for a spoiled girl like that.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What slap??????????

Did you not watch Muller's comments before the film? The very first scene between Mitchum and Simmons while he's at her house with the ambulance, she gets worked up and he slaps her across the face because he says she's hysterical. That was a complete shock to her system, someone ever doing something like that to her. She slaps him back, but the die is cast, and so is her obsession.

Muller in the opening comments says that Preminger, probably at Hughes' urging, made Simmons do the scene many many times as part of his retribution against her for getting out of her contract with Hughes (and in a timely manner, rather than stretched over many years). This was her last film for him and he got his... licks in.

That has nothing to do with the motivation I'm talking about per the character becoming obsessed with Mitchum as the spoiled girl finally 'spanked,' but it was the very first scene between the two stars and Muller specifically talks about... the slap(s).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did you not watch Muller's comments before the film? The very first scene between Mitchum and Simmons while he's at her house with the ambulance, she gets worked up and he slaps her across the face because he says she's hysterical. That was a complete shock to her system, someone ever doing something like that to her. She slaps him back, but the die is cast, and so is her obsession.

Muller in the opening comments says that Preminger, probably at Hughes' urging, made Simmons do the scene many many times as part of his retribution against her for getting out of her contract with Hughes (and in a timely manner, rather than stretched over many years). This was her last film for him and he got his... licks in.

That has nothing to do with the motivation I'm talking about per the character becoming obsessed with Mitchum as the spoiled girl finally 'spanked,' but it was the very first scene between the two stars and Muller specifically talks about... the slap(s).
I was talking about "The Lady Eve" as to what Jean/Lady Eve sees in Charles/Hopsie.

As to Muller's comments about "Angel Face" he goes into great detail about the slaps and the other things Preminger did to Simmons on the audio commentary he did on the Angel Face" DVD.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, I got lost and thought we were still on Angel Face, oops (I saw the name Jean in that post and thought it meant Jean Simmons). Yeah, as a huge Preston Sturges fan, I love The Lady Eve, and yes, that's a good question what would turn her on about Charles. Perhaps just a challenge to get his full attention.

I stand by my take on what obsessed Simmons character with Mitchum's character in Angel Face, though.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, I got lost and thought we were still on Angel Face, oops. Yeah, as a huge Preston Sturges fan, I love The Lady Eve, and yes, that's a good question what would turn her on about Charles. Perhaps just a challenge to get his full attention.
As to "Angel Face"
I still don't know why Frank would get into the car with Diane driving, knowing what she's capable of at the end of the film. No way, I would get into the car with that psycho chick.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, that was an uncharacteristic mistake by Frank.

He's the chauffeur, after all, and the race car driver. Plus he had so callously put her aside knowing she's psycho. But if it weren't for tough guys making dumb moves, half the Noir canon wouldn't exist.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As to "Angel Face"
I still don't know why Frank would get into the car with Diane driving, knowing what she's capable of at the end of the film. No way, I would get into the car with that psycho chick.
Yep, that was my one big problem with the movie. After seeing how obsessed she is throughout his interaction with her and being smart enough to see through her later schemes once he figures out what she's up to, there is no sensible reason he would have gotten in a car with her AT ALL once he had made his intention of leaving her known, let alone a car with her behind the wheel.

But Eddie's comments are, as always, invaluable and add so much to one's enjoyment of the movie. And I NEVER would have known making the movie was a miserable experience for her since her performance is so focused and powerful without chewing scenery.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert, Matt & Wayne,

Thanks for the discussion on Angel Face. I had never seen this film before, but watched it today via the TCM app. I do agree with you both wondering why Mitchum would get in a car with the conniving Simmons at the end. Still, I thought this was one terrific film, and the back story laid out by Eddie Muller is quite fascinating. I see there is only a DVD-R available on Amazon in Region 1. This one deserves a BD release.

This is why I enjoy this thread so much -- discovering wonderful films. Thanks, Robert, for keeping the thread as active as you do. :thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, Matt & Wayne,

Thanks for the discussion on Angel Face. I had never seen this film before, but watched it today via the TCM app. I do agree with you both wondering why Mitchum would get in a car with the conniving Simmons at the end. Still, I thought this was one terrific film, and the back story laid out by Eddie Muller is quite fascinating. I see there is only a DVD-R available on Amazon in Region 1. This one deserves a BD release.

This is why I enjoy this thread so much -- discovering wonderful films. Thanks, Robert, for keeping the thread as active as you do. :thumbsup:
Let's hope if it ever makes it to Blu-ray they include Eddie's commentary from the DVD. It was one of his best from beginning to end.

As to this thread, I almost decided to drop it as I didn't think the membership enjoyed it enough for me to continue updating it. Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today I took a break away from my home theater and decided to take in a matinee showing of "The Predator" at my local cinema in Dolby Atmos. The film isn't in the class of the original film nor is it as good as the second one, but I found it very entertaining. Shane Black, an alumnus of the first film's cast, directed and co-write this latest version. His particular humor is displayed in the film so I laughed throughout the film and its violence. I will be buying that upcoming 4K/UHD release.

shane-black-predator.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow! The Criterion Blu-ray of “My Man Godfrey” looks fantastic. What a stark difference between the DVD and this BD release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow! The Criterion Blu-ray of “My Man Godfrey” looks fantastic. What a stark difference between the DVD and this BD release.
Has anybody watched their Criterion BD yet of "My Man Godfrey"? One of my favorite characters in this great film is Molly played by Jean Dixon. The entire cast was perfect and were on their "A" game.

MV5BNmMwZTJlMTctYjM5Ni00Zjg4LWEzN2EtZmJlZjcyMmMzM2NiL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks