What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Enjoyed Thunder Road despite some inconsistent acting among the cast. I remember when I was a kid, my parents used to take my brother and me to the movies with them all the time, but not when they went to see this. My dad thought it would be too rough (seeing it today, it wouldn't have been).

Eddie also confirmed what I'd long known; the movie may have had urban critics turn their noses up at it, but it was a smash in the South. It played five or six weeks at our local small town theater which was rare in those days.
It played for a long time in Syracuse, New York as well, though mostly at drive-ins. Syracuse had a lot of displaced Southerners who came up there for factory work. The most popular AM radio station in the 50's and 60's played country music. The local movie critic panned it, but the drive-ins were packed.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Elvis would've been perfect as Mitchum's younger brother. It would have given him a chance to work with one of the greats and perhaps get some acting tips.
I once saw Robert Mitchum on a TV chat show, and he told how he took Elvis home to have dinner with his family. He said he went up in his son's estimation after that! I'm going to watch Elvis tonight in Loving You.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Noir Alley

A woman slowly discovers that her artist husband is hiding a terrifying secret.

See Barbara Stanwyck and Humphrey Bogart in THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS ('47) next Saturday and Sunday on #NoirAlley hosted by Eddie Muller.

1673866789525.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I disagree with Eddie here, it's western noir to me. Anybody else agrees with me?

Another western that I consider western noir is "Rancho Notorious" which I just watched on Blu-ray. A tremendous job by Warner Archive. What a lovely Blu-ray presentation. By the way, I'm not buying that Kennedy and Ferrer
died like that song stated at the end of the movie.
Just another concession to the Production Code.

1674032406757.png
1674032429913.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Noir Alley

In addition to THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS, director Peter Godfrey collaborated with Barbara Stanwyck on CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT and CRY WOLF.

Look out for him in a bit role as a racetrack "tout" who gives horse tips in THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS Saturday and Sunday on #NoirAlley.

1674033849060.png

Noir Alley

Though completed in June 1945, THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS sat on the Warner Bros. shelf until March 1947, supposedly because of its similarities to GASLIGHT ('44).

See it Saturday and Sunday on #NoirAlley hosted by Eddie Muller.

1674034153205.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I had NO idea such a movie was even in production, much less ready to open! I see it's not based on a Chandler novel but one by someone else. Nice period look, but I'm not sure Neeson is great casting as Philip Marlowe.
Eddie’s been talking about it quite often during his Ask Eddie segments.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I watched two different film versions about a grumpy old man. Both films I enjoyed quite a bit as the 2016 Swedish film was tremendous, last night, I viewed the Vudu HD digital that I purchased the other day for $4.99. I watched the 2023 film starring Tom Hanks in a movie theater earlier on Thursday which I enjoyed even more so. There are some differences, but one thing the Swedish film did better was give us some back story about Ove's relationship with his father. And, showing examples of his dedication he had towards his wife. With that said, there were some things I liked better in the Hanks film like the longer timeline in which
Otto found some happiness in life again.

1674202096650.png
1674202112486.png

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yesterday, I watched two different film versions about a grumpy old man.
Peg and I watched A Man Called Ove again last night (in anticipation of eventually seeing the Hanks' version sometime--likely when it hits home video). We like Ove so much, we are curious what we'll think of Otto. We both think Hanks will do a great job with the role but its always curious to see what Hollywood will do with an already well-told tale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1674288349629.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" starring Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck and Alexis Smith. The movie was filmed in 1945 but wasn't released until 1947. It's the only screen pairing for two of the greatest movie stars. I last watched the movie in late September, so I doubt I'll watch it again this weekend. Listening to Eddie's comments will be my focus as I'll try to watch another noir this weekend.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2023 Schedule:

01-07-23: Don't Bother to Knock
01-14-23: Thunder Road

01-21-23: The Two Mrs. Carrolls
01-28-23: Highway 301
02-04-23: Hangover Square
02-11-23: Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
02-18-23: Lightning Strikes Twice
02-25-23: Hunt the Man Down

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peg and I watched A Man Called Ove again last night (in anticipation of eventually seeing the Hanks' version sometime--likely when it hits home video). We like Ove so much, we are curious what we'll think of Otto. We both think Hanks will do a great job with the role but its always curious to see what Hollywood will do with an already well-told tale.
Hollywood made a few changes, but they're basically the same movie. Tom Hanks is one of my favorite all-time actors and we're about the same age which is why I slightly liked his movie more than the Swedish film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 172729

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" starring Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck and Alexis Smith. The movie was filmed in 1945 but wasn't released until 1947. It's the only screen pairing for two of the greatest movie stars. I last watched the movie in late September, so I doubt I'll watch it again this weekend. Listening to Eddie's comments will be my focus as I'll try to watch another noir this weekend.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2023 Schedule:

01-07-23: Don't Bother to Knock
01-14-23: Thunder Road

01-21-23: The Two Mrs. Carrolls
01-28-23: Highway 301
02-04-23: Hangover Square
02-11-23: Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
02-18-23: Lightning Strikes Twice
02-25-23: Hunt the Man Down
I bypassed the movie, but I did watch Eddie's comments which were pretty good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched it again and was reminded of how wildly off Bogie's performance becomes as the film runs. He's just awful in the last quarter hour. I love Stanwyck in the movie (though why she waited so long to call for help once she went upstairs is a stupid lapse in the writing). Alexis Smith is rather one-note: beautiful but very stoic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched it again and was reminded of how wildly off Bogie's performance becomes as the film runs. He's just awful in the last quarter hour. I love Stanwyck in the movie (though why she waited so long to call for help once she went upstairs is a stupid lapse in the writing). Alexis Smith is rather one-note: beautiful but very stoic.
I always laugh out loud with Bogart's last line of dialogue. I wonder if 1947 audiences did the same thing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Speaking of Barbara Stanwyck and noir, I wonder if Warner Archive has Clash by Night earmarked for possible Blu-ray release any time soon? (I'm assuming they own it since it's an RKO film.) With that cast, I would have thought it would have been high up on the list of movies to remaster for HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks