What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, with all that talk about Frances McDormand being a big John Wayne film I decided to stream El Dorado from iTunes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This morning I watched one of my favorite films from 1990. The Hunt for Red October. God, I love that film and its tremendous cast.

MV5BY2Y5NWVjMmQtMWRmOC00ZTg3LWI3YWQtZGI2MWUwNWQ4OWQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Yes, this film is emminently re-visitable. Before McTiernan's career (and later his personal life) blew up; this was arguably his best film. Great source material, a wonderful cast, and a strong production all come together to create one of 1990's best features. I was looking at Metacritic while writing this post and was amazed that it only garnered a 58, with some critics really (in my opinion) missing the boat (so to speak) on this film. Just writing this post kind of makes me want to revisit the film.

With regards to Clancy's books it (HFRO) is probably my second favorite book after Red Storm Rising.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, this film is emminently re-visitable. Before McTiernan's career (and later his personal life) blew up; this was arguably his best film. Great source material, a wonderful cast, and a strong production all come together to create one of 1990's best features. I was looking at Metacritic while writing this post and was amazed that it only garnered a 58, with some critics really (in my opinion) missing the boat (so to speak) on this film. Just writing this post kind of makes me want to revisit the film.

With regards to Clancy's books it (HFRO) is probably my second favorite book after Red Storm Rising.

- Walter.
One of my all-time favorite lines of dialogue from any movie was the following. I'll never forget the audience reaction to it the first time I watched this film during its theatrical run. They busted out in laughter and probably agreement as it pertains to politicians. Richard Jordan was great in that role.

Listen, I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops, but it also means that I keep my options open.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that line of dialogue is one of the more memorable lines from the film. Richard Jordan is an actor who I always thought should have had more recognition and a bigger career. I know you are fan of The Friends of Eddie Coyle, as am I, and Jordan was terrific in that film.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You don’t own the Blu-ray? Robert I’m shocked.
Of course I do, but, the disc was upstairs in my film library and I was downstairs laying on my sofa in my HT with no intention of moving from that spot.:) Furthermore, it’s not like I haven’t watched that disc several times already.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Of course I do, but, the disc was upstairs in my film library and I was downstairs laying on my sofa in my HT with no intention of moving from that spot.:) Furthermore, it’s not like I haven’t watched that disc several times already.
You’ve already ‘bragged’ about having mega-thousands of discs. Sounds like it time to have double-mega-thousands of discs. An upstairs copy and a downstairs copy (and maybe a third for when you’re out at the ceement pond)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You’ve already ‘bragged’ about having mega-thousands of discs. Sounds like it time to have double-mega-thousands of discs. An upstairs copy and a downstairs copy (and maybe a third for when you’re out at the ceement pond)
No brag, just fact!:)

In this case, I do have such copies of this particular title to do so. I bought the German Blu-ray when it first came out and then it wasn't six months later, one of my sisters bought me the US BD release for a birthday present. Knowing my sister, I kept my mouth shut and thank her for finally giving me this John Wayne film in HD.;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It would probably be less expensive for Robert to hire a butler to shuttle the discs between floors instead of doubling up on all those discs. ;)

"Jeeves, old man, could you bring the Blu-ray copy of El Dorado down to the formal home theater room?"

"Certainly, sir. Would you care for a glass of sherry while you watch your film?"

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This film about Gloria Grahame's time in the UK never played in my local area. Now, it's coming out on DVD, but, not Blu-ray. I'm going to wait and see if an HD stream is offer by Vudu or iTunes.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/film-...l-due-on-disc-and-digital-april-24-from-sony/
I haven't checked, but the UK should have a BD version of this film, which is very good.I saw it when it played Dallas. Benning is glorious, as always, and Bell is excellent. They were both nominated for BAFTASs. Very touching film. Surprise and effective cameo by Vanessa Redgrave.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, every year there are a few films that get lost of their way to the Oscars: i.e. have a fair amount of pre-release buzz and are featured in many pre-Oscar prediction lists, particularly those drawn up in the early fall. This film was one of the primary "lost" films of this Oscar season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Robert!

I never know where to ask about something like this. I can never keep track of which boutique distributor has contracts with which studios, etc.

There was a Paramount release in 1970 of a film called Norwood. Is there any way a film like that might even get a DVD release?

norwood-us-lobbycar-bottom-and-top-from-left-glen-campbell-joe-namath-E5NJC4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks