What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (4 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought the Criterion Blu-ray looked great. Eddie's comments were fine, but the 31+ minute interview with Imogen Sara Smith on the Criterion disc was really good. I also enjoyed the 12 minute interview with Coleen Gray. I'd had a crush on her since I first saw "Red River" as a kid. It's funny how she did "Nightmare Alley" and "Kiss of Death" prior to "Red River".

I haven 't seen the 2021 film version yet, but I think I like the casting of the female roles in the 1947 film better. That's not to say the actresses in the 2021 film aren't great actresses, but I just think the casting of Blondell, Gray and Walker nailed it. Blanchett in Walker's role is just too blatant for my taste. Walker was against type except for her role in "Impact". I guess the 2021 film did nail the ending without that "happy" ending that Zanuck insist on having for the 1947 movie. Anyhow, I'll probably buy the 4K digital of the 2021 movie as I don't expect to see it released by Disney on 4K disc.
Enjoyed Eddie's comments as usual, and since I don't remember what he had to say the first time around (I do remember he talked about Shadowlands then, too), I was disheartened to hear about the author's sad demise.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thanks to member mskaye posting it in another thread. This 39 minute podcast which is part 1 of two segments featuring George Feltenstein and Alan K. Rode (Film Noir Foundation) talking about Angels with Dirty Faces and other Michael Curtiz films. Again, this is part 1 of two segments. I'll post part 2 shortly.

A really good listen as both George and Alan grew up in NYC Metro area about the same time as I did and they talk about how Channel 5 (WNEW) with Warner titles and Channel 9 (WWOR) with RKO titles influenced them as it did me.

Finally they posted the second part of this segment between George Feltenstein Alan K. Rode about Michael Curtiz.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
The latest "Ask Eddie" segment:

Also, "Noir City" has been postponed due to Covid! Eddie's wife has tested positive for Covid Omicron variant. He is negative, but that's not the reason why it's been postponed. It's because this latest variant is just spreading like a wild fire.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Marabunta!

1642202581789.png

I must say I am very impressed by the Australian Imprint Blu-ray of "The Naked Jungle" that came out on January 7th. This region free Blu-ray offers a solid upgrade video presentation-wise than the iTunes HD Digital that I viewed here. In anticipation of this Blu-ray release, I watched that digital again in late 2021, to refresh my memory. When I popped in the Blu-ray this afternoon, I instantly realized that this Blu-ray was a significant improvement as the colors were more vibrant with more detail than what I observed recently with that iTunes digital. The Blu-ray doesn't indicate a new scan on the box for this Technicolor film. Perhaps, my cataract surgeries have something to do with my viewing today.;) Anyhow, I'll be doing some more comparisons between this BD and digital when I get a chance. This Blu-ray is in 1.37 aspect ratio which I think is correct framing-wise even though the movie's filming began in June, 1953. It has three different audio commentaries in which I already listened to one of them. There is a Charlton Heston documentary. It also three different radio adaptations including one with Heston and Donna Reed as well as one with William Conrad.

More to come as I get into more of the bonus material and do some direct comparisons between the Blu-ray and iTunes HD digital. As of now, I'm a very happy camper.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1642232001097.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "The Mob" (1951) starring Broderick Crawford, Richard Kiley, Neville Brand and Ernest Borgnine. My last viewing of this movie was in 2018, here are my thoughts. That viewing was on DVD, so I'm going to watch it again for the first time on Blu-ray which I bought back in November with that Region "B" Indicator Boxset. I believe this Blu-ray has an audio commentary too so I'll probably listen to that along with Eddie's comments.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2022 schedule:

01-01-22: Repeat Performance
01-08-22: Nightmare Alley

01-15-22: The Mob

01-22-22: Over-Exposed
01-29-22: Quai des Orfèvres
02-05-22: The Turning Point
02-12-22: Side Street
02-19-22: Cast a Dark Shadow
02-26-22: TBA

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 125026

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "The Mob" (1951) starring Broderick Crawford, Richard Kiley, Neville Brand and Ernest Borgnine. My last viewing of this movie was in 2018, here are my thoughts. That viewing was on DVD, so I'm going to watch it again for the first time on Blu-ray which I bought back in November with that Region "B" Indicator Boxset.
Marabunta!

View attachment 124985

I must say I am very impressed by the Australian Imprint Blu-ray of "The Naked Jungle" that came out on January 7th. This region free Blu-ray offers a solid upgrade video presentation-wise than the iTunes HD Digital that I viewed here. In anticipation of this Blu-ray release, I watched that digital again in late 2021, to refresh my memory. When I popped in the Blu-ray this afternoon, I instantly realized that this Blu-ray was a significant improvement as the colors were more vibrant with more detail than what I observed recently with that iTunes digital. The Blu-ray doesn't indicate a new scan on the box for this Technicolor film. Perhaps, my cataract surgeries have something to do with my viewing today.;) Anyhow, I'll be doing some more comparisons between this BD and digital when I get a chance. This Blu-ray is in 1.37 aspect ratio which I think is correct framing-wise even though the movie's filming began in June, 1953. It has three different audio commentaries in which I already listened to one of them. There is a Charlton Heston documentary. It also three different radio adaptations including one with Heston and Donna Reed as well as one with William Conrad.

More to come as I get into more of the bonus material and do some direct comparisons between the Blu-ray and iTunes HD digital. As of now, I'm a very happy camper.
I watched this Blu-ray again with the second commentary. This time I was really paying attention to the framing of the movie and the more I watch it, the more I think the 1.37 ratio is correct for this movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looking forward to The Mob. As usual, have never seen it, so always happy to get introduced to something new. However, we're expecting a hellacious ice storm Saturday night/Sunday morning, and who knows how long power will remain on? Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Still waiting for my copy of The Naked Jungle to arrive in the mail.Along with Imprints House of Cards. Very happy to hear that it's a good print.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thoroughly enjoyed The Mob. Several nice twists in the film and performances were good, particularly from the men. Eddie's background information is always interesting if always too brief for my taste.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I thoroughly enjoyed The Mob. Several nice twists in the film and performances were good, particularly from the men. Eddie's background information is always interesting if always too brief for my taste.
Yeah, that's out if his control, but it would be nice if he had 7-8 minutes for both comment segments instead of 5-6 minutes. By the way, did you chuckle after seeing the ending? I did the first time and did so again on Sunday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1642556073547.png

A fine looking Blu-ray from WAC! One of the most underrated Flynn movies about a Norwegian village that raises up against their Nazi occupiers. Clearly, a film intended for propaganda purposes that probably served it's purpose in 1943. Director Lewis Milestone sure knew how to film action/war sequences. More to come later on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1642816686139.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Over-Exposed" (1956) starring Cleo Moore and Richard Crenna. I have no memory of this movie and failed to purchase the DVD boxset "Bad Girls of Film Noir" Volume 2. That was a missed opportunity by me since I did purchase the first volume.

Below is the updated "Noir Alley" schedule. It looks like no "Noir Alley" film during one weekend in February and the entire month of March which is probably their annual Oscar salute promotion. There are at least three "TBA" weekends.

02-26-22: Cast a Dark Shadow
04-02-22: TBA

04-09-22: Bob le flambeur
04-16-22: Night and the City
04-23-22: The Window
04-30-22: Johnny Angel
05-07-22: No Man of Her Own
05-14-22: The Killer is Loose
05-21-22: My Name is Julie Ross
05-28-22: Bad Day at Black Rock
06-04-22: Out of the Past
06-11-22: The Guilty
06-18-22: TBA
06-25-22: TBA
07-02-22: The Strange One
07-09-22: Hide Tide
07-16-22: Scarlet Street
07-23-22: 5 Against the House
07-30-22: Raw Deal

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
View attachment 125313

A fine looking Blu-ray from WAC! One of the most underrated Flynn movies about a Norwegian village that raises up against their Nazi occupiers. Clearly, a film intended for propaganda purposes that probably served it's purpose in 1943. Director Lewis Milestone sure knew how to film action/war sequences. More to come later on.

Just ordered this today. Can’t say when I saw it last, probably 30 years or more.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
View attachment 125730

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Over-Exposed" (1956) starring Cleo Moore and Richard Crenna. I have no memory of this movie and failed to purchase the DVD boxset "Bad Girls of Film Noir" Volume 2. That was a missed opportunity by me since I did purchase the first volume.

Below is the updated "Noir Alley" schedule. It looks like no "Noir Alley" film during one weekend in February and the entire month of March which is probably their annual Oscar salute promotion. There are at least three "TBA" weekends.

02-26-22: Cast a Dark Shadow
04-02-22: TBA

04-09-22: Bob le flambeur
04-16-22: Night and the City
04-23-22: The Window
04-30-22: Johnny Angel
05-07-22: No Man of Her Own
05-14-22: The Killer is Loose
05-21-22: My Name is Julie Ross
05-28-22: Bad Day at Black Rock
06-04-22: Out of the Past
06-11-22: The Guilty
06-18-22: TBA
06-25-22: TBA
07-02-22: The Strange One
07-09-22: Hide Tide
07-16-22: Scarlet Street
07-23-22: 5 Against the House
07-30-22: Raw Deal
A lot of familiar titles on the list, but I'll dutifully watch them, either for Eddie or the whole film if it's one I really admire (like Night and the City). I have never seen Over-Exposed.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A lot of familiar titles on the list, but I'll dutifully watch them, either for Eddie or the whole film if it's one I really admire (like Night and the City). I have never seen Over-Exposed.
Even though I own both sets of the Bad Girls, I don't remember watching Over-Exposed. And like you, Matt, I'll be watching the familiar titles just for the intros and outros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks