What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (6 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 123624 View attachment 123625

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Repeat Performance" (1947). This is the second showing of this fine movie on "Noir Alley". However, I think this is the first showing of the Film Foundation's restoration of the movie which Flicker Alley is releasing onto Blu-ray next month on February 11th. I still can't believe that Joan Leslie was only 21 years old when filming began on this movie. This was Richard Basehart's film debut.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2022 schedule:

01-01-22: Repeat Performance
01-08-22: Nightmare Alley
01-15-22: The Mob
01-22-22: Over-Exposed
01-29-22: Quai des Orfèvres
02-05-22: The Turning Point
02-12-22: Side Street
02-19-22: Cast a Dark Shadow
02-26-22: TBA
Evidently, this was the second showing of the restored version because I now remembered seeing those restoration credits during out first showing on Noir Alley back on 12-29-19. Here are our comments about the film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Evidently, this was the second showing of the restored version because I now remembered seeing those restoration credits during out first showing on Noir Alley back on 12-29-19. Here are our comments about the film.
Thanks for that link. I still plan a rewatch (maybe tonight), but it’s good to know what I thought a couple of years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks to member mskaye posting it in another thread. This 39 minute podcast which is part 1 of two segments featuring George Feltenstein and Alan K. Rode (Film Noir Foundation) talking about Angels with Dirty Faces and other Michael Curtiz films. Again, this is part 1 of two segments. I'll post part 2 shortly.

A really good listen as both George and Alan grew up in NYC Metro area about the same time as I did and they talk about how Channel 5 (WNEW) with Warner titles and Channel 9 (WWOR) with RKO titles influenced them as it did me.

The latest "The Extras" podcast with Tim Millard interviewing George Feltenstein:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is little doubt in my mind that "Pursued" (1947) is a western film noir. Anybody disagrees with that opinion?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
There is little doubt in my mind that "Pursued" (1947) is a western film noir. Anybody disagrees with that opinion?

Honorary? This is where Eddie Muller and I disagree.
I always considered "Pursued" one of the great Noirs, and one of the great films of its decade, as well as one of the great films of its director, Raoul Walsh.
"Pursued" has all the hallmarks of Noir, both in the way it's photographed, and also in its themes. Just because the characters wear spurs and ride horses doesn't change anything.
(I heard a bit of condescension in Mr. Muller's voice when he spoke the word "western" as well as "honorary", but maybe I was mistaken)
Film is film. And Noir is Noir.
Noir can be found anywhere.
Noir is not a genre.
Noir is not a style.
Noir is a state of mind and a way of being.
While Noir is often concerned with crime, that isn't intrinsic to what makes it Noir.
Yes, as Mr. Muller mentioned, it does involve the dark past; that is, being haunted by it, which also shapes the look of the film.
It also involves a tragic sense of life, as if each breath you take may be your last, and when despair is transformed into an awareness of the present moment.
This is also very much a part of Noir, and it's certainly present in "Pursued."
In fact, the first time I'm aware that a French writer used the word "Noir", I believe it was Albert Camus, in reference to an American novel from the 1930's, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?", which was a major influence on his novel, "The Stranger".
Neither "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" or "The Stranger" are crime novels, but does that make them "honorary" Noirs?
Literary scholars don't think so.
"Pursued" isn't honorary either.
OK. End of rant.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Honorary? This is where Eddie Muller and I disagree.
I always considered "Pursued" one of the great Noirs, and one of the great films of its decade, as well as one of the great films of its director, Raoul Walsh.
"Pursued" has all the hallmarks of Noir, both in the way it's photographed, and also in its themes. Just because the characters wear spurs and ride horses doesn't change anything.
(I heard a bit of condescension in Mr. Muller's voice when he spoke the word "western" as well as "honorary", but maybe I was mistaken)
Film is film. And Noir is Noir.
Noir can be found anywhere.
Noir is not a genre.
Noir is not a style.
Noir is a state of mind and a way of being.
While Noir is often concerned with crime, that isn't intrinsic to what makes it Noir.
Yes, as Mr. Muller mentioned, it does involve the dark past; that is, being haunted by it, which also shapes the look of the film.
It also involves a tragic sense of life, as if each breath you take may be your last, and when despair is transformed into an awareness of the present moment.
This is also very much a part of Noir, and it's certainly present in "Pursued."
In fact, the first time I'm aware that a French writer used the word "Noir", I believe it was Albert Camus, in reference to an American novel from the 1930's, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?", which was a major influence on his novel, "The Stranger".
Neither "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" or "The Stranger" are crime novels, but does that make them "honorary" Noirs?
Literary scholars don't think so.
"Pursued" isn't honorary either.
OK. End of rant.
I think you’re reading a little bit too much in a 45 second snippet.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Still on definitions, but to move sideways away from noir for a moment ... I always consider Bad Day at Black Rock at a truly great Western. But I guess the post-war era would disqualify it for some.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1641623730011.png
1641623817933.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" Movie is "Nightmare Alley" (1947) staring Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray and Helen Walker. For some strange reason this will give me an opportunity to finally watch the 2021 Criterion Blu-ray that I purchase six months ago. I don't know why I was reluctant to watching this excellent movie again as I haven't watched it in 2+ years. I probably would have watched it sooner, if this pandemic didn't take place and I was able to watch the new version in a movie theater.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2022 schedule:

01-01-22: Repeat Performance
01-08-22: Nightmare Alley

01-15-22: The Mob
01-22-22: Over-Exposed
01-29-22: Quai des Orfèvres
02-05-22: The Turning Point
02-12-22: Side Street
02-19-22: Cast a Dark Shadow
02-26-22: TBA

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just watched the Criterion Blu-ray a month or six weeks ago, so no need to watch it on TCM. But I'll record it to listen to Eddie's intro and outro which are sure to be interesting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1641652755447.png

Has this fine film been released on Blu-ray anywhere? One of my favorite James Mason acting performances. Anyhow, I watched it again on "The Criterion Channel" this morning. One of the best espionage movies ever made with Michael Wilson writing the screenplay based on a real person and events. Filmed on location with Joe Mankiewicz directing.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
View attachment 124314

Has this fine film been released on Blu-ray anywhere? One of my favorite James Mason acting performances. Anyhow, I watched it again on "The Criterion Channel" this morning. One of the best espionage movies ever made with Michael Wilson writing the screenplay based on a real person and events. Filmed on location with Joe Mankiewicz directing.
I'm unaware of any Blu-ray disc. I love the film and would snap up any high definition release on disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1641692057234.png
1641692577386.png

Yup, another fine Fox film that has never been released on Blu-ray.:( Therefore, I watched it on The Criterion Channel. In some ways, I actually prefer this film version to the remake made years later as a western "Broken Lance". This 1949 film has Susan Hayward going for it.:) A tyrannical father of four sons drives them apart as he favors one son over the other three and basically treats those other three sons like crap. Father gets in legal trouble running his family bank and the favorite son tries to protect him and then ends up in jail himself. Father dies and the favorite son swears blood vengeance against his three brothers. Yes, "House of Strangers" is an appropriate name for this film noir. Robinson, Conte, Haywood and Luther Adler are excellent with Paul Valentine and Efrem Zimbalist Jr. making his film debut as two of the brothers. The cast also includes a young Diana Douglas, Kirk's first wife and mother of Michael. Joe Mankiewicz directed this movie and probably wrote most of the script, though, Philip Jordan has sole screen writing credit. Below are the other two film versions of basically the same storyline. I liked the 1954 film, but prefer the 1949 movie. I've seen the 1961 film version "The Big Show", but it's my least favorite of the three movie versions.

1954 Film Version:

1641693888748.png

1961 Film Version:

1641694019814.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched the Criterion Blu-ray a month or six weeks ago, so no need to watch it on TCM. But I'll record it to listen to Eddie's intro and outro which are sure to be interesting.
I thought the Criterion Blu-ray looked great. Eddie's comments were fine, but the 31+ minute interview with Imogen Sara Smith on the Criterion disc was really good. I also enjoyed the 12 minute interview with Coleen Gray. I'd had a crush on her since I first saw "Red River" as a kid. It's funny how she did "Nightmare Alley" and "Kiss of Death" prior to "Red River".

I haven 't seen the 2021 film version yet, but I think I like the casting of the female roles in the 1947 film better. That's not to say the actresses in the 2021 film aren't great actresses, but I just think the casting of Blondell, Gray and Walker nailed it. Blanchett in Walker's role is just too blatant for my taste. Walker was against type except for her role in "Impact". I guess the 2021 film did nail the ending without that "happy" ending that Zanuck insist on having for the 1947 movie. Anyhow, I'll probably buy the 4K digital of the 2021 movie as I don't expect to see it released by Disney on 4K disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    H-508
    Recent bookmarks