What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (5 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is a new 2021 documentary on Dean Martin that is playing on TCM this month. It's playing twice on November 19th and 26th at 8:00 p.m. ET. Here is a link to an article about this documentary.

I watched that documentary last night and thought it was excellent. Anybody else watch it yet? It's showing again on November 26th. Also, it's on the TCM app until December 3rd.

ccrawford

Premium
Real Name
Cathy
I watched this last night and enjoyed it also. There was good insight into Dean Martin the family man from his daughter Deana and some enlightening comments from Jerry Lewis's son Scotty.

I have always respected Dean Martin for standing behind Sammy Davis Jr. when Davis was barred from JFK's inaugural gala.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looking forward to watching Johnny O'Clock tomorrow though it will be in the evening since I'll be reviewing tomorrow.
I'll watch and listen to Eddie's comments, but I'll probably not watch the movie again as I have it coming to me on Blu-ray. I hope to watch the Blu-ray next week.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus

I watched that documentary last night and thought it was excellent. Anybody else watch it yet? It's showing again on November 26th. Also, it's on the TCM app until December 3rd.
Have it on my dvr and will watch it tonight. Martin Scorsese has said that he wanted to do a biopic of Dean Martin but so far it has not been filmed.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched the documentary on Dean Martin this morning. It was a very enjoyable trip down memory lane. Dean Martin's various films and his NBC series were both staples of my formative years in terms of entertainment. Always enjoyed the 'looseness' and the spontaneity of the TV series. At least that is how it felt, but as we saw in the Vegas segment, there was a scripted aspect to it in terms of the same material being presented every evening.

Regarding the 'cool' aspect I tend to go back to a bit of supplementary content on the DVD for L.A. Confidential in which Kevin Spacey relates some advice on how to play his character Jack Vincennes from director Curtis Hanson. "Two words. Dean Martin".

Enjoyed the exploration of his career and his relationships. In terms of relationships I thought the examination of the song Volare and what it might have meant to Martin was especially poignant. While we will never know what 'Rosebud' was for Martin, the exposition by his daughter Deana certainly felt like as good an explanation as we will ever receive.

Martin had a real charm and a way to connect with people that felt natural and very unforced. Definitely one of a kind.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enjoyed the Dean Martin documentary which I watched this afternoon. Reasonably thorough and wonderful remembrances from many who worked with him. Would have liked more about the movie career with Jerry. That part seemed rather scattershot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll watch and listen to Eddie's comments, but I'll probably not watch the movie again as I have it coming to me on Blu-ray. I hope to watch the Blu-ray next week.
Well, after Eddie's "Intro comments", I ended up watching the movie again followed by his closing comments. I think I've seen this movie even more times than Eddie over the years. I laughed out loud when Eddie made reference to Jeff Chandler's line of dialogue and was surprise he actually showed it during his "Intro" comments. I don't know, but I always thought that line was funny to me from the first time I watched that movie as a kid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You could also get the Indicator Columbia Noir #1 set, which has a Blu-Ray of "The Lineup" with the commentary, and that way you wouldn't have to try and sync up two separate media. But I'm in the same boat that you are. I have the Columbia Noir #1 on DVD which has the commentary and the Noir Archive on Blu which doesn't, but haven't gotten around to getting the Indicator yet.

BTW, for those of you who haven't listened to the commentary, the car chase in the end, unlike most car chases in the movies, is accurate to the streets of San Francisco, and follows the topography. It's also fun listening to Eddie Muller point out each intersection as it comes up and talk about its history, and his own personal relation to it, and other movies that corner is featured in (the hotel in "Bullitt", for example). The first time I visited San Francisco, a fellow film buff friend took me on that route, from the Cliff House to the freeway intersection near downtown, so listening to Mr. Muller talk about it was very real for me.
Those Indicator Columbia Noir sets are hard to come by now and are rather expensive for those of us that already have many of them on Blu-ray.
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and ordered all four Indicator box sets as an early Christmas gift to myself and they arrived just about an hour ago.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Well, I decided to bite the bullet and ordered all four Indicator box sets as an early Christmas gift to myself and they arrived just about an hour ago.

Wow! I'm impressed! So far I only have numbers #1 & #2. I'm dying to get "Johnny O' Clock" on Blu, as it's one of my faves. But I'm not all that interested in the rest of the films in set #3, so I'm waiting a bit. I was particularly pleased with set # 2. I had never seen "Framed" before, and "Affair in Trinidad", though not the greatest of Noirs, looks absolutely stunning. It's all Rita Hayworth, and I have no problem with that. Another thing I like are the "Three Stooges" shorts in HD. Everything is so sharp, the cheesy painted backdrops and recycled sets look transcendent in their seediness.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

I'll have to take a look at your new reviews in the Noirvember challenge thread. Looking forward to reading them. I was happy you introduced me to the thread, as I enjoyed sharing my thoughts on some of these films, but I haven't posted anything of late as I'm working on a new story which is taking up all of my time. I hope to post some more before the end of the month--in particular "Framed & "Incident in Trinidad"-- but we'll see.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Finally got around to Johnny O'Clock this afternoon and remembered I had seen it many years ago, but it meant much more to me now being much more familiar with many of the actors present and knowing the excellent backstory provided by Eddie. Yes, Cary Grant would have fit the role better, but Dick Powell was fine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
the-naked-spur-1953-shutterstock-editorial-5880390i.jpg

Today, after watching two Warner Archive Blu-ray releases, "The Naked Spur" (1953) and "Santa Fe Trail" (1940) and with further deliberation, I decided to delete "Santa Fe Trail" from my listing below and replace it for now with "The Naked Spur". The video presentations for both Blu-rays are outstanding. A great job by WA! However, I have some issues with "Santa Fe Trail" that goes beyond the historical inaccuracies in the film. Trust me, there are a bunch of inaccuracies in this film. However, I can't honestly continue to list it as one of my "100 all-time favorite westerns" with the serious personal issues I have with that film's script as it pertains to slavery. IMO, the film was trying to be anti-slavery while at the same time trying to appease the "Jim Crow" South of 1940. I'm sure the studio did so because they wanted this movie to be shown in the South, but things like this bothers me more today than when I was a kid first watching this action packed western.

The following passage from the movie is most troubling for me with its use of the word "cancer" and underground railroad for escaped slaves which gave so many slaves an opportunity for freedom.

"The town of Palmyra, cancer of Kansas and the western end of the underground railroad for slaves"

Another passage spoken by Robert E. Lee while standing next to Jefferson Davis of all people at John Brown's execution, I found ironic to say the least.

"So perish all such enemies of the union. All such foes of the human race."

Perhaps, the filmmakers were making a point against Lee and Davis with those chosen words, but it bugged me too. There is more dialogue that I found troubling now as a senior citizen than as a kid watching this movie at 10-12 years of age. Back then, I just wanted action in my westerns and care little about actual substance in my films. As a so-called more mature person,;) I want more out of my favorite westerns than great action sequences.

As to the western "The Naked Spur", a fine western with a great cast of actors, spoken dialogue and action sequences. Perhaps, this western should have always been on this list. However, for some reason, I never could list it as such. I think the beauty of the Technicolor cinematography finally being on display with this Blu-ray release had a big influence on me changing my mind about listing it. My main problem with the film is still the ending. No way,
I just buried Robert Ryan's body without collecting that reward. That $5000 would be of great use for a young couple out in California in 1868.:)

Right now, I'm in the middle of watching "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" (1948). Most people probably don't see this great movie as a western, but I see it as a contemporary western complete with fist fights, gun fights and banditos. I'm listening to Eric Lax's audio commentary from the 2010 Blu-ray.

Crawdaddy's "100" All-Time Favorite Westerns:

• 3 Godfathers (1949) (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Big Sky, The (DVD)
  • High Noon (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Last of the Dogmen (DVD/2022 Kino BD)
  • Lonely are the Brave (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Open Range (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Ox-Bow Incident, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Red River (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Shane (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Sons of Katie Elder, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Unforgiven (4K/UHD/4K Digital)
  • Wild Bunch, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)

• 3:10 to Yuma (1957) (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • 5 Card Stud (DVD)
  • Alamo, The (1960) (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Ambush (DVD)
  • Angel and the Badman (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Apache (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Arizona (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Backlash (Blu-ray)
  • Big Country, The (Blu-ray)
  • Blood on the Moon (Blu-ray)
  • Bravados, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Broken Lance (Blu-ray)
  • Buffalo Soldiers (1997) (DVD)
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Blu-ray/4K Digital)
  • California (Blu-ray)
  • Canyon Passage (Blu-ray)
  • Cheyenne Autumn (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Comanche Station (Blu-ray)
  • Cowboy (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Death Hunt (Blu-ray)
  • Destry Rides Again (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Devil's Doorway (DVD)
  • Dodge City (Blu-ray)
  • El Dorado (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Escape from Fort Bravo (Blu-ray)
  • Fastest Gun Alive, The (DVD)
  • Fort Apache (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Four Faces West (Blu-ray)
  • Furies, The (HD Digital/Criterion BD)
  • Geronimo (1939) (Not on Home Video)
  • Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Gunfighter, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Hombre (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Hondo (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Horse Soldiers, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Hud (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Jeremiah Johnson (Blu-ray)
  • Joe Kidd (Blu-ray)
  • Jubal (Blu-ray)
  • King and Four Queens, The (Blu-ray)
  • Kit Carson (DVD)
  • Last Hunt, The (Blu-ray)
  • Last of the Mohicans, The (1992) (DVD/Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Last Train from Gun Hill (DVD/Upcoming Paramount BD)
  • Last Wagon, The (Blu-ray)
  • Magnificent Seven, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Man Without a Star (Blu-ray)
  • McLintock! (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Monte Walsh (Blu-ray)
  • My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Naked Spur, The (Blu-ray)
  • Nevada Smith (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Night Passage (Blu-ray)
  • Only the Valiant (Blu-ray)
  • Outlaw Josey Wales, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Pillars in the Sky (Blu-ray)
  • Plainsman, The (1936) (DVD/Kino BD)
  • Professionals, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Proud Ones, The (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Pursued (Blu-ray)
  • Ride the High Country (Blu-ray)
  • Rio Bravo (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Rio Grande (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Rocky Mountain (DVD)
  • Searchers, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (Blu-ray)
  • Shootist, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • South of St. Louis (Blu-ray)
  • Stagecoach (1939) (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Tall in the Saddle (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Tall Men, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • They Died with their Boots On (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Tin Star, The (DVD)
  • Unforgiven, The (1960) (Blu-ray)
  • Union Pacific (German Blu-ray/Kino BD)
  • Vera Cruz (MGM Blu-ray/Kino Blu-ray)
  • Virginia City (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Walk the Proud Land (DVD)
  • Warlock (Blu-ray)
  • War Wagon, The (Blu-ray/HD Digital)
  • Westerner, The (DVD)
  • Western Union (Blu-ray)
  • Westward the Women (DVD)
  • Will Penny (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Winchester '73 (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Yellow Sky (Blu-ray)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
the-naked-spur-1953-shutterstock-editorial-5880390i.jpg

Today, after watching two Warner Archive Blu-ray releases, "The Naked Spur" (1953) and "Santa Fe Trail" (1940) and with further deliberation, I decided to delete "Santa Fe Trail" from my listing below and replace it for now with "The Naked Spur". The video presentations for both Blu-rays are outstanding. A great job by WA! However, I have some issues with "Santa Fe Trail" that goes beyond the historical inaccuracies in the film. Trust me, there are a bunch of inaccuracies in this film. However, I can't honestly continue to list it as one of my "100 all-time favorite westerns" with the serious personal issues I have with that film's script as it pertains to slavery. IMO, the film was trying to be anti-slavery while at the same time trying to appease the "Jim Crow" South of 1940. I'm sure the studio did so because they wanted this movie to be shown in the South, but things like this bothers me more today than when I was a kid first watching this action packed western.

The following passage from the movie is most troubling for me with its use of the word "cancer" and underground railroad for escaped slaves which gave so many slaves an opportunity for freedom.

"The town of Palmyra, cancer of Kansas and the western end of the underground railroad for slaves"

Another passage spoken by Robert E. Lee while standing next to Jefferson Davis of all people at John Brown's execution, I found ironic to say the least.

"So perish all such enemies of the union. All such foes of the human race."

Perhaps, the filmmakers were making a point against Lee and Davis with those chosen words, but it bugged me too. There is more dialogue that I found troubling now as a senior citizen than as a kid watching this movie at 10-12 years of age. Back then, I just wanted action in my westerns and care little about actual substance in my films. As a so-called more mature person,;) I want more out of my favorite westerns than great action sequences.

As to the western "The Naked Spur", a fine western with a great cast of actors, spoken dialogue and action sequences. Perhaps, this western should have always been on this list. However, for some reason, I never could list it as such. I think the beauty of the Technicolor cinematography finally being on display with this Blu-ray release had a big influence on me changing my mind about listing it. My main problem with the film is still the ending. No way,
I just buried Robert Ryan's body without collecting that reward. That $5000 would be of great use for a young couple out in California in 1868.:)

Right now, I'm in the middle of watching "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" (1948). Most people probably don't see this great movie as a western, but I see it as a contemporary western complete with fist fights, gun fights and banditos. I'm listening to Eric Lax's audio commentary from the 2010 Blu-ray.

• Big Sky, The (DVD)

• 5 Card Stud (DVD)
  • Ambush (DVD)
  • Backlash (Blu-ray)
  • Broken Lance (Blu-ray)
  • California (Blu-ray)
  • Death Hunt (Blu-ray)
  • Devil's Doorway (DVD)
  • Dodge City (Blu-ray)
  • Hud (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Joe Kidd (Blu-ray)
  • Jubal (Blu-ray)
  • Kit Carson (DVD)
  • Monte Walsh (Blu-ray)
  • Pursued (Blu-ray)
  • Rocky Mountain (DVD)
  • Tin Star, The (DVD)
  • Warlock (Blu-ray)
  • Westerner, The (DVD)
  • Yellow Sky (Blu-ray)
Loved what you had to say, Robert, about both films.

I felt exactly the same way you did when I was a child about "Santa Fe Trail"--great action & amazing photography, direction and acting so who cares about some historical inaccuracies?--and now, for the reasons you state above, I can no longer watch it.

"The Naked Spur", since I first saw it at MOMA in the 1970's in a stunning print--don't know whether it was 3-strip but it might have been; it was even more glorious looking than the Blu-Ray--has been one of my favorite westerns and also my favorite Anthony Mann. As far as the ending goes, I've always ignored it, as I assumed it was insisted upon by the Production Code.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1637827732842.png

For the umpteenth time, I completed watching "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" (1948). After watching it with the audio commentary and some of the bonus material and doing some further research about the source material there is no doubt this is a contemporary western. Furthermore, you can see it's influence on such western/adventure movies like "The Wild Bunch" and to a lesser degree "The Professionals".

The main storyline about gold prospecting in Mexico that took place in the first 20 years of the 20th Century in which transportation was by horses and mules in a very isolated area of Mexican mountain ranges. Of course, greed, mistrust, and insanity comes into play involving the three gold prospecting partners as they battled themselves, the elements and bandits.

What is really hard to comprehend about this great movie is that Fred C. Dobbs, one of the most iconic movie characters is played by Humphrey Bogart, and he wasn't even nominated for an Oscar. IMO, this was Bogart's best acting performance and it's really hard to comprehend how some of the following actors were nominated ahead of Bogart. I bet you Bogart lost his head, when he found out he wasn't even nominated.:laugh: Inside joke for those that seen the film.:) Now, granted some of them deserved their nominations and all were great in their respective roles, but Bogart not being nominated for his portrayal of Fred C. Dobbs is on the same level of absurdity as Robert Mitchum not getting nominated for "The Night of the Hunter" and John Wayne for "The Searchers".

Laurence Olivier: Hamlet
Lew Ayres: Johnny Belinda
Montgomery Clift: The Search
Dan Dailey: When My Baby Smiles at Me
Clifton Webb: Sitting Pretty

By the way, the casting of this movie was perfect as Walter Huston, Tim Holt, Bruce Bennett, Barton MacLane and Alfonso Bedoya were excellent. Huston richly deserved his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. John Huston deserved his Oscars for Director and Writing. I can understand why "Hamlet" won the Oscar for Best Picture as it's an outstanding film, but my choice would've been this film. Anyhow, an argument can be made for either film so I don't really have a major problem with "Hamlet" winning it like I do with Bogart not even getting an Oscar nomination.

One more thing, I don't care what they say, that isn't Ann Sheridan in a dark wig as the prostitute that walks by Bogart. I played that sequence over and over again with freeze frames and that's not her, even with that publicity photo showing her in costume and on the movie set. What do you guys think?

• Big Sky, The (DVD)

• 5 Card Stud (DVD)
  • Ambush (DVD)
  • Backlash (Blu-ray)
  • Broken Lance (Blu-ray)
  • California (Blu-ray)
  • Death Hunt (Blu-ray)
  • Devil's Doorway (DVD)
  • Dodge City (Blu-ray)
  • Hud (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Joe Kidd (Blu-ray)
  • Jubal (Blu-ray)
  • Kit Carson (DVD)
  • Monte Walsh (Blu-ray)
  • Pursued (Blu-ray)
  • Rocky Mountain (DVD)
  • Tin Star, The (DVD)
  • Warlock (Blu-ray)
  • Westerner, The (DVD)
  • Yellow Sky (Blu-ray)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1637830631653.png

1637830654900.png

That's right, yesterday, I finally watched "Shane" in two different aspect ratios in their entirety and then went back to sampling different scenes with both aspect ratios. I've watched "Shane" (1953) more times than I can remember over the years. I might have been Joey's age when I first watched this great film. It's not only one of my all-time favorite westerns, but it's also on my all-time favorite films list. This western might seem to be cliché to those that first watched it later in life than I was circa 1963/1964. However, it was the first western for me that had a realistic saloon fight, gun shots and final showdown.

The movie's plot is simple enough about a battle in Wyoming between homesteaders and a powerful rancher. Suddenly, a stranger drifting north shows up one day and decides to hire on with the leader of the homesteaders. A man with a definite violent past looking for another way of life is attracted to this homesteader's lovely wife and little boy that starts to idolize this stranger. The title character Shane is played by Alan Ladd, likes and respects the homesteader, played by Van Heflin. Jean Arthur in her first film role in five years that also became her last film role plays Heflin's wife, who is the soul of this western. The little boy Joey is played by Brandon De Wilde. The cast is full with great character actors like Ben Johnson, Jack Palance, Emile Meyer, Edgar Buchanan, Elisha Cook Jr., John Dierkes and Ellen Colby. Jack Palance was outstanding as the gunfighter Jack Wilson hired to terrorize the homesteaders, but Meyer and Dierkes as the evil Ryker brothers were outstanding too. I always enjoyed the sound of Dierkes evil laugh in this movie.:)

This is one of the most beautifully photographed westerns that richly deserved its Oscar in cinematography for Loyal Griggs. The on location filming by Griggs and director George Stevens really captured the beauty of the Grand Teton mountains.

As to the aspect ratios. We know that the movie was filmed 1.37:1 Academy ratio in 1951. However, the film didn't have it's general release until the summer of 1953, and was shown to movie audiences in the 1.66:1 ratio. For most of my viewings, I viewed the movie in 1.37 ratio. I've watched it in 1.66 ratio three times now. There isn't much cropping in 1.66, but I still prefer the 1.37 ratio. To me, the movie just looks better to me in that aspect ratio. Others might disagree, but that's my opinion.

I'm now down to the final 11 westerns to watch of my "100" list. I plan on watching at least two more of those 11 before December 1st. That way I can make my final push for the last nine westerns and still have time to watch come other westerns in December.

• Big Sky, The (DVD)

• 5 Card Stud (DVD)
  • Ambush (DVD)
  • Backlash (Blu-ray)
  • Broken Lance (Blu-ray)
  • California (Blu-ray)
  • Death Hunt (Blu-ray)
  • Devil's Doorway (DVD)
  • Dodge City (Blu-ray)
  • Hud (DVD/HD Digital)
  • Joe Kidd (Blu-ray)
  • Jubal (Blu-ray)
  • Kit Carson (DVD)
  • Monte Walsh (Blu-ray)
  • Pursued (Blu-ray)
  • Rocky Mountain (DVD)
  • Tin Star, The (DVD)
  • Warlock (Blu-ray)
  • Westerner, The (DVD)
  • Yellow Sky (Blu-ray)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
On the subject of those Oscar nominations, I have to agree that it's criminal that Bogart isn't there. Much as I love him, I think probably Clifton Webb's Mr. Belvedere probably is the least worthy since it's a great comic performance but pretty one note throughout. I also haven't seen Johnny Belinda in a long, long time, so Lew Ayers' performance is not fresh in my mind, so I have some reservations there, too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the subject of those Oscar nominations, I have to agree that it's criminal that Bogart isn't there. Much as I love him, I think probably Clifton Webb's Mr. Belvedere probably is the least worthy since it's a great comic performance but pretty one note throughout. I also haven't seen Johnny Belinda in a long, long time, so Lew Ayers' performance is not fresh in my mind, so I have some reservations there, too.
Lew Ayers was really good in Johnny Belinda, but his performance wasn't on the level as Bogart's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks