What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From yesterday, the latest edition of "Ask Eddie":

One tidbit from this "Ask Eddie" segment is that Dana Delany is a huge noir fan and will be appearing with Eddie in September to show two Gloria Grahame movies on "Noir Alley". We now know why "The Glass Wall" was postponed for this coming weekend and the other movie is "Human Desire".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1627724236644.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Hollow Triumph aka The Scar" (1948). This is the last "Noir Alley" movie before the yearly TCM August break for their "Summer Under the Stars" film tribute. These are my comments from my last viewing of this movie. I'm not sure I will watch this movie again, but I will listen to Eddie's comments. By the way, this is its second showing on "Noir Alley" which was three years ago.

Edit: I will watch my Kino Blu-ray again because I just realized that Blu-ray release has an audio commentary by Imogene Sara Smith. I didn't listen to it the first time I watched this Blu-ray so I'll rectify that missed opportunity this weekend.:)

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2021 schedule:

01-02-21: The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry
01-09-21: The Glass Key
01-16-21: Witness to Murder
01-23-21: Born to Kill
01-30-21: The Killers
02-06-21: The Killer that Stalked New York
02-20-21: Native Son
02-27-21: Odds Against Tomorrow
03-06-21: Killer's Kiss
03-13-21: The Night Holds Terror
03-20-21: The Third Man
03-27-21: Pepe Le Moko
05-15-21: Touch of Evil
05-22-21: The Brothers Rico
05-29-21: Act of Violence
06-05-21: Possessed (1947)

06-12-21: Walk a Crooked Mile
06-19-21: The Blue Gardenia

06-26-21: Shadow of a Doubt
07-03-21: Guilty Bystander
07-10-21: The Bribe
07-17-21: Los Tallos Amargos (The Bitter Stems)
07-24-21: Cause for Alarm

07-31-21: Hollow Triumph aka The Scar

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have no clear memory of Hollow Triumph so I'll record and rewatch it (unless it comes back to me after I start viewing and remember that I didn't like it). Nice to have a month's break so we can build up anticipation for another several months of noirs to come afterwards.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
View attachment 96495

I also had time today to watch for the first time "Quantez" (1958) starring Fred MacMurray, Dorothy Malone, John Gavin, John Larch, Sydney Chaplin and James Barton. My Blu-ray arrived early from Kino in the mail today so I immediately watched it. I believe the Blu-ray's release date is May 11th. The film's storyline is a familiar one with a bank robbing gang that flees a posse by crossing the desert to end up in a deserted town that has a hidden danger unbeknownst to the recent arrivals. Which could only mean one thing in western lore. IMO, the movie is meh and kind of boring with not much action until the end of the movie. The Kino BD looked quite good on my 65" OLED, but the movie itself is mediocre. My video grade is 3.5 while my movie grade is 2.5 on a grading scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best.
I liked it a bit better than you did. Sort of a Key Largo out West. But the director never takes advantage of the possibilities in the material. I found the credit of "Gowns by Rosemary Odell" rather amusing since Dorothy Malone's entire wardrobe consists of a work shirt and denim jeans.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As it turned out, I had seen Hollow Triumph before and remembered it from its previous Noir Alley broadcast, but I went ahead and rewatched it and just rolled my eyes all over again at the number of coincidences in the movie. Pretty much when he gets the doctor's bank statement and sees how rapidly the balance had dropped, it becomes clear what's going on with him and the irony of the ending is a little blunted. And I like Henreid in his two most famous movies very much, but he's not a great enough actor to pull off playing two different characters convincingly. I don't believe that his taking over another's man's life wouldn't have been noticed by a lot more people.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Oh, I also noticed that neither Henry Brandon nor Jack Webb received any billing either in the main titles or in the final crawl. And Brandon had a speaking part!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As it turned out, I had seen Hollow Triumph before and remembered it from its previous Noir Alley broadcast, but I went ahead and rewatched it and just rolled my eyes all over again at the number of coincidences in the movie. Pretty much when he gets the doctor's bank statement and sees how rapidly the balance had dropped, it becomes clear what's going on with him and the irony of the ending is a little blunted. And I like Henreid in his two most famous movies very much, but he's not a great enough actor to pull off playing two different characters convincingly. I don't believe that his taking over another's man's life wouldn't have been noticed by a lot more people.
Yeah, it's absurd, but I love the Alton cinematography and the irony attached to the ending. I have to say my opinion of this movie has been raised after listening to Imogene Sara Smith's audio commentary. She made some salient points in favor of the movie. I especially love that brief scene with the cleaning lady near the end of the film.

Oh, I also noticed that neither Henry Brandon nor Jack Webb received any billing either in the main titles or in the final crawl. And Brandon had a speaking part!
It's funny how we hate the length of film credits today because they're too long while we notice that yesteryear's credits are much too short due to many of the supporting actors aren't given any film credit. I think that's due to various unions gaining more power as the studio system lost its grip on power.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1627868953838.png

This weekend, I watched the iTunes HD Digital. It's derived from the same scan/transfer used for the MPI Blu-ray. You can tell that the two Fox titles are derived from better film elements than the Universal movies. Anyhow, I believe this is the first Rathbone & Bruce "Holmes" movie. It's always been a favorite movie from the series and I still can't believe that last line of dialogue from Holmes/Rathbone got by the production code.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1627869270378.png

A fine movie that I revisited on iTunes HD Digital. It's a shame that Warner has never released this on Blu-ray in Region "A". I'm not a Lily Tomlin fan, but she was pretty funny in this movie. Art Carney was excellent in this movie along with supporting actors Eugene Roche, Bill Macy and John Considine. I wonder if Eddie will ever show this "Neo-Noir" on "Noir Alley" or next year's "Neo-Noir" film tribute?

A really good film about an over-the-hill PI with some health issues and no car trying to solve the murder of his former partner in 1977 LA. Tomlin plays the ditsy client that hires Carney to find her cat that is oddly connected to that murder along with some others that occur throughout the movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
View attachment 106697

This weekend, I watched the iTunes HD Digital. It's derived from the same scan/transfer used for the MPI Blu-ray. You can tell that the two Fox titles are derived from better film elements than the Universal movies. Anyhow, I believe this is the first Rathbone & Bruce "Holmes" movie. It's always been a favorite movie from the series and I still can't believe that last line of dialogue from Holmes/Rathbone got by the production code.
Had Fox gotten a house composer to actually score the ENTIRE movie, this would likely be the best Holmes movie ever. It's still pretty great even with those frantic chases on the moor without any accompaniment!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1627869941728.png

I watched the Kino Blu-ray of "Stranger on the Run" (1967). A TV movie that was directed by Don Siegel. After watching this western, I still didn't have any memory of it, but I'm pretty sure I watched it beforehand as there weren't many westerns that appeared on TV in 1967, that I didn't see at all. As to the movie, it's about a drifter that just got out of jail that travels to some railroad town in Colorado to look up the sister of one of his cellmates. After a murder, he's pursued by a posse of railroad detectives that think he committed the murder. Fellow HTF member, Gary Gerani did an audio commentary for it that I haven't listen to yet. I will do that the next time I watched the Blu-ray. By the way, the aspect ratio is 1.37 which is in line with it being a TV movie. I think this movie was shown in European movie theaters. It's a good western with Fonda, Michael Parks and Dan Duryea giving solid performances along with Anne Baxter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Had Fox gotten a house composer to actually score the ENTIRE movie, this would likely be the best Holmes movie ever. It's still pretty great even with those frantic chases on the moor without any accompaniment!
I'm going to check out "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" some time this week as I want to watch all of the HD digitals that I purchased last week from iTunes.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm going to check out "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" some time this week as I want to watch all of the HD digitals that I purchased last week from iTunes.
One of my all-time favorites! A great Moriarty, a creepy dual plot (cleverly one to distract from the other), and Rathbone triumphing with "By the Seaside" in a magnificent Holmesian disguise.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
A shame about the absence of music. While it may not be the best Holmes movie, it is IMO the best version of Baskervilles.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
View attachment 96495

I also had time today to watch for the first time "Quantez" (1958) starring Fred MacMurray, Dorothy Malone, John Gavin, John Larch, Sydney Chaplin and James Barton. My Blu-ray arrived early from Kino in the mail today so I immediately watched it. I believe the Blu-ray's release date is May 11th. The film's storyline is a familiar one with a bank robbing gang that flees a posse by crossing the desert to end up in a deserted town that has a hidden danger unbeknownst to the recent arrivals. Which could only mean one thing in western lore. IMO, the movie is meh and kind of boring with not much action until the end of the movie. The Kino BD looked quite good on my 65" OLED, but the movie itself is mediocre. My video grade is 3.5 while my movie grade is 2.5 on a grading scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best.
I actually liked Quantez a lot better than you did, as I really like psychological, talky Westerns. I have one question related to the production code, and perhaps I missed some exposition that explained why,
but there are only bad guys in this movie though there is a hierarchy of super-bad, John Larch, to intending-to-reform, Fred MacMurray. So I was expecting them all to be dead by the closing credit due to the production code, but John Gavin and Dorothy Malone, escape scot-free. Was there some explanation that they weren't truly guilty of any crime that I missed?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They finally posted the rest of the "Noir Alley" schedule for September thru December.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2021 schedule:

01-02-21: The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry
01-09-21: The Glass Key
01-16-21: Witness to Murder
01-23-21: Born to Kill
01-30-21: The Killers
02-06-21: The Killer that Stalked New York
02-20-21: Native Son
02-27-21: Odds Against Tomorrow
03-06-21: Killer's Kiss
03-13-21: The Night Holds Terror
03-20-21: The Third Man
03-27-21: Pepe Le Moko
05-15-21: Touch of Evil
05-22-21: The Brothers Rico
05-29-21: Act of Violence
06-05-21: Possessed (1947)

06-12-21: Walk a Crooked Mile
06-19-21: The Blue Gardenia

06-26-21: Shadow of a Doubt
07-03-21: Guilty Bystander
07-10-21: The Bribe
07-17-21: Los Tallos Amargos (The Bitter Stems)
07-24-21: Cause for Alarm

07-31-21: Hollow Triumph aka The Scar
09-04-21: Cloudburst
09-11-21: Drive a Crooked Road
09-18-21: Human Desire
09-25-21: Hell Bound
10-02-21: The Glass Wall
10-09-21: Brighton Rock
10-16-21: The Dark Past
10-23-21: La bestia debe morir (The Beast Must Die)
10-30-21: Strange Fascination
11-06-21: Five Steps to Danger
11-13-21: The Lineup
11-20-21: Johnny O'Clock
11-27-21: Tight Spot
12-04-21: The Unsuspected
12-11-21: Cruel Gun Story
12-18-21: Blast of Silence

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Beast Must Die will be released by Flicker Alley. It was remade by Chabrol as, guess what, The Beast Must Die. I've seen the French film but not the Argentinian. Looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks