What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (6 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to watch "Casablanca" on the big screen again today. I haven't used Movie Pass nor Sinemia in the last week or so which makes this a perfect title to use either service.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to watch "Casablanca" on the big screen again today. I haven't used Movie Pass nor Sinemia in the last week or so which makes this a perfect title to use either service.
Every time I watched "Casablanca" I tear up during the following scene. The singing of "La Marseillaise" just gets me.

By the way, Claude Rains performance in "Casablanca" is IMO, one of the best supporting actor performances in cinema history. It's also among my favorite such performances. His character Captain Louis Renault is the perfect example that people aren't black and white as far as being a good or bad person. Generally, most of us are "gray" with good and bad qualities in which we are generally a mixed bag.

Just for laughs:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I could only imagine how audiences around the world reacted to that scene during WWII.

When Star Wars came out, there were reviewers that compared the cheering when the Death Star blew up to the same audience cheering during the "La Marseillaise" scene in Casablanca in its initial release.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
When Star Wars came out, there were reviewers that compared the cheering when the Death Star blew up to the same audience cheering during the "La Marseillaise" scene in Casablanca in its initial release.
One is the audience getting caught up in the action and cheering; the other is a heartfelt reaction.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One is the audience getting caught up in the action and cheering; the other is a heartfelt reaction.
Correct, here I am in 2018, tearing up 75 years later after it was filmed, a movie sequence that I've easily seen over 100 times in my lifetime. That emotion is coming from the heart and I'm not even French.;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After my second viewing of "Black Panther" in D-Box seating, I love the movie more so, but, didn't care for the D-Box seating. I should have settled for the nice recliners seating that movie complex normally provides its customers which are a lot cheaper.:blush:

D-Box Seats – No other seat lets you live the action as if you were really in the scene like our D-Box seats. These seats actually MOVE with the action of the movie on screen. Intensity levels are easily adjusted at the touch of a button. We recommend purchasing in advance due to high popularity! These large, comfy motion seats are exclusively available for select films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I did a deep dive into Criterion's BD Release of "Silence of the Lambs" Just a great film! I have to wonder if Sean Connery and MIchelle Pfeiffer regret turning down those roles from that movie. After watching Hopkins and Foster, they probably don't regret it much because I have a hard time thinking they could've done an equally great job. Also, some great bonus material in this BD release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today I sat down and finally watched a UK BD Import "The Man Who Never Was" starring Clifton Webb, Gloria Graham and Stephen Boyd.

BKBM9K.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Today I sat down and finally watched a UK BD Import "The Man Who Never Was" starring Clifton Webb, Gloria Graham and Stephen Boyd.

BKBM9K.jpg
Thanks for the tip. It’s a CinemaScope film I’ve not heard of. What are the specs on this Region B Blu-ray? I can’t find any reviews. Is it 2.55:1? Mono, stereo, or 4.0?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have it on a Region 1 DVD. I wasn't aware it was available on a UK Blu-ray. I like the movie very much and will check out its availability.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for the tip. It’s a CinemaScope film I’ve not heard of. What are the specs on this Region B Blu-ray? I can’t find any reviews. Is it 2.55:1? Mono, stereo, or 4.0?

The disc covers says " New High-Definition Digital Restoration in original 2.35 aspect ratio. Restored Original Stereo Soundtrack."

I haven't watched this disc for some time but I recall being pleased with the picture and sound quality. It's a good but not very well-known film. Clifton Webb, as always, was excellent in a role rather different from those he normally played. Gloria Grahame was also good playing outside her usual range.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This disc is Region Free and it's aspect ratio appears to be slightly wider than the DVD. Also, no subtitles on the BD while the DVD has them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks