What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
My affinity for newspaper movies goes back to my childhood, long before I ever heard of the word "Watergate". Some of those early films I watched in my childhood were Five Star Final, Deadline U.S.A., His Girl Friday and Calling Northside 777. A few years later while in high school back in the early 1970's, I used to go to my school library and read the NYT every single school day. One news story that fascinated me during those times was the publishing of The Pentagon Papers. Everyday, I would read those published stories and the legal battle that took place over them. Personally, I had a personal interest because I had an older brother that served two tours in Vietnam, who luckily survived those two years over there.

When I found out this movie was about the Washington Post involvement in this controversy, I was naturally concern that the NYT wouldn't get the proper credit for being the first newspaper to publish The Pentagon Papers. I'm very happy to say that my concerns were resolved very satisfactory.

I was one of only four people in my 9:40 p.m. showing. This film captivated my attention and I didn't once look at my phone to see what was the time. The film was well written and directed. Furthermore, it had splendid performances from not only Streep and Hanks, but all of the supporting actors. I'm not a big Streep fan. I don't hate her like some other people hate certain actors because it's not my thing to personalize my feelings towards actors. I just wasn't a fan of many of her movies and especially the ones in which she had some kind of accent. I'm not saying they weren't good films, but some of them weren't my cup of tea. After saying that, I must say she is a great actress and she was wonderful in this film. She really brought to life Kay Graham and her journey from being a stay-at-home wife/mother to a widow in which circumstances thrust her into running the family business, a business that isn't for the meek in any way. This film isn't just about the fight over The Pentagon Papers, but about some issues that are still being fought today, more than 46 years later. I actually had tears in my eyes the last 5-10 minutes of the film. I walked out of the theater tonight, proud to be an American.

Newspapers and media aren't right all the time and they make their share of mistakes, but this film illustrates without a doubt, that they are a necessary ingredient in maintaining our system of government in order to protect the people and our values. I give this film 5 on the basis of a 1-5 with 5 being the best grade. I used my Movie Pass tonight and I'm going to use it again to revisit this film.
So does it surpass Wind River as your pick for the year’s best film?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for the enthusiastic recommendation, Robert. The Post is going to be my first official Movie Pass flick tomorrow morning (hopefully) and I'm really looking forward to it now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's funny because I like Meryl with her accents just as much as "American" Meryl. Different strokes, I guess.

In The French Lieutenant's Woman, we get both varieties. But I think the movies and her performances in them in things like Sophie's Choice, Out of Africa, A Cry in the Dark, and Plenty are simply terrific!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's funny because I like Meryl with her accents just as much as "American" Meryl. Different strokes, I guess.

In The French Lieutenant's Woman, we get both varieties. But I think the movies and her performances in them in things like Sophie's Choice, Out of Africa, A Cry in the Dark, and Plenty are simply terrific!
Yeah, I just didn't care for those films except I enjoyed Out of Africa.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Meryl's Julia Child accent was priceless in my opinion.

I'm delighted to hear how much you loved The Post. I'm not sure when I'll have the chance but I am dying to see it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eleanor Parker is one of my top ten favorite actresses of all-time. During my childhood, I believe the first film I ever noticed her in was "The Naked Jungle" with Charleton Heston. What kid growing up in the 1960's, wouldn't love a movie about an army of ants destroying everything in its path.:) At that time and still today, I thought she was one of the most beautiful actresses I ever seen in any movie. Man, she knew how to cry in movies with those beautiful eyes and trembling lips.

The following links are a two-part article about Parker and the movies she starred in. There are some things I don't agree with such as his take on "The Pride of the Marines" as I watched that film more than a few times growing up, so I disagree about his premise on the film itself and the movie disappearing from the public eye. Anyhow, this is a long read so I placed those links here so people can read them at their own leisure.

Eleanor Parker, Part 1: Dream Factory

Eleanor Parker, Part 2: Technicolor

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got back from the last showing of "The Commuter". Using Movie Pass for such films is a great benefit. Another entertaining Liam Neeson action flick, most of it happening on a commuter train.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Eleanor Parker is one of my top ten favorite actresses of all-time. During my childhood, I believe the first film I ever noticed her in was "The Naked Jungle" with Charleton Heston. What kid growing up in the 1960's, wouldn't love a movie about an army of ants destroying everything in its path.:) At that time and still today, I thought she was one of the most beautiful actresses I ever seen in any movie. Man, she knew how to cry in movies with those beautiful eyes and trembling lips.

The following links are a two-part article about Parker and the movies she starred in. There are some things I don't agree with such as his take on "The Pride of the Marines" as I watched that film more than a few times growing up, so I disagree about his premise on the film itself and the movie disappearing from the public eye. Anyhow, this is a long read so I placed those links here so people can read them at their own leisure.

Eleanor Parker, Part 1: Dream Factory

Eleanor Parker, Part 2: Technicolor

The regally resplendent Eleanor Parker is one of my favourite actresses too, and I fully agree with your comments about The Naked Jungle, a title I’d love to see released on Blu-ray.

I’ve just recently purchased and watched a couple of her pairings with Robert Taylor on DVD, as I doubt we’ll see these on Blu anytime soon.

Shame too, as I think Many Rivers To Cross especially would look wonderful given the WAC treatment, judging by the quality of the DVD.

Valley of the Kings may not have been too great a movie, as the article you linked points out, but I enjoyed it just the same. I thought the period photography of the city of Cairo (in addition to the pyramids etc) was beautifully captured - the horse-drawn-carriage chase through the markets and backstreets of Cairo being the highlight of the film for me. I’ve never been to Cairo, and the only other film I recall that was significantly set in Cairo itself was The Spy Who Loved Me, so this was a particular treat.

Your post has inspired me to unwrap my DVD of Interrupted Melody to watch next.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Eleanor Parker is one of my top ten favorite actresses of all-time. During my childhood, I believe the first film I ever noticed her in was "The Naked Jungle" with Charleton Heston. What kid growing up in the 1960's, wouldn't love a movie about an army of ants destroying everything in its path.:)

Sad that the those kids in the audience needed to suffer through an hour of romantic crap to get to it!

But you're certainly right -- Ms. Parker was a beauty, and she's had terrific performances in many movies. She was still gorgeous in 1965 for THE SOUND OF MUSIC, but was unfortunately (again) wasted in a sappy, poorly-written role.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The regally resplendent Eleanor Parker is one of my favourite actresses too, and I fully agree with your comments about The Naked Jungle, a title I’d love to see released on Blu-ray

Like so many other m.i.a. Paramount classics (and Disney live-action titles) it has had a 1080p master produced that looks very nice, but you know Paramount...only if Kino or Olive or someone can license it from them will we get a Blu-ray.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Jean Porter made a trio of b-musical-comedies for Columbia that I always wanted to see, all from 1947, "Little Miss Broadway," "Two Blondes and a Redhead," and "Sweet Genevieve." I suspect they were all pretty routine items, but Porter was always a fun, pleasing actress, and I know I'd likely enjoy them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I had my second viewing of "The Greatest Showman" using Movie Pass. I actually enjoyed it more the second time. I know some people are turned off from seeing this film because they think this film glorifies P.T. Barnum and the circus. To an extent, that's true, but the film also has some great messages against bigotry, class structure, body shaming, greed and the lack of empathy and tolerance for others. Furthermore, the film focuses on the beginning of show business. IMO, the music and dancing is far more superior than La La Land. With actors that can do both, very well. I don't usually buy sound tracks as musicals is far from being my favorite film genre, but I can't get some of those songs out of my head. I can't wait until I buy this film on 4k/UHD disc so I can finally experience it in Dolby Atmos as my theater complex has failed to show this movie in one of their Dolby Atmos theaters. Furthermore, it's a beautifully filmed movie and one that will leave a smile on your as you exit the theater. My film grade is 4.5 out of 5.0.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yesterday, I had my second viewing of "The Greatest Showman" using Movie Pass. I actually enjoyed it more the second time. I know some people are turned off from seeing this film because they think this film glorifies P.T. Barnum and the circus. To an extent, that's true, but the film also has some great messages against bigotry, class structure, body shaming, greed and the lack of empathy and tolerance for others. Furthermore, the film focuses on the beginning of show business. IMO, the music and dancing is far more superior than La La Land. With actors that can do both, very well. I don't usually buy sound tracks as musicals is far from being my favorite film genre, but I can't get some of those songs out of my head. I can't wait until I buy this film on 4k/UHD disc so I can finally experience it in Dolby Atmos as my theater complex has failed to show this movie in one of their Dolby Atmos theaters. Furthermore, it's a beautifully filmed movie and one that will leave a smile on your as you exit the theater. My film grade is 4.5 out of 5.0.

That one statement has me interested in seeing this film, Robert. Both my wife and I thought the music in La La Land was very unmemorable, and I was concerned this film would be similar. We'll have to give this one a try at some point when it comes to home video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks