Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
But I still had no idea what VD was. Till later...much later. Not up close and personal, though.
I remember in 8th Grade they had a special meeting with the PE coach in the Library with the 7th and 8th Grade boys in my school. They showed us a Disney cartoon ...

I High School they had to have a signed parental permission slip and they ran the same film ...
1601442053671.png
:D !

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This is an interesting October scheduling item:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
TCM's October Schedule:

Nice selection of films this month and one film that caught my eye is Araya (1959) which is a documentary about a Venezuelan salt mine and the building of huge pyramids of salt for export. Great black & white photography and one of my favorite documentaries.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Reactions: TravisR

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
On Friday, I was in the mood for some Jean Harlow so I watched the following two movies in their entirety on HBO Max:

1601726440905.png

Libeled Lady (1936) starring Harlow, William Powell, Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy. The HBO Max stream is pristine which means a possible Blu-ray release is in the near future. I've never seen this movie looked or sound this good. Warner did some serious work as this stream looks significantly better than the 2005 DVD. The improvement is so noticable, it's like watching the movie for the first time. I'm not going to go into any depth analysis regarding this movie's storyline as it's a screwball comedy about a rich young woman/Loy suing a major NYC newspaper for slander because they published an inaccurate story about her. Two newspapermen/Tracy & Powell are trying to involve her in a contrived scandal so they get her to drop the suit. Harlow plays the fiance of Tracy that they convince to help them in setting up this scandal. This movie is a personal favorite so any Blu-ray release will be an immediate purchase.

1601727383825.png

Bombshell/Blonde Bombshell (1933) starring Jean Harlow, Lee Tracy, Frank Morgan, Pat O'Brien, Franchot Tone, Uma Merkel. This satirical indictment of early Hollywood involves a young movie star being taken advantage of by her sleazeball family, movie studio publicist and those in her circle of employees and friends. A enjoyable comedy, but man, Lee Tracy is really a heel in this movie.:) Unfortunately, this HBO Max stream is the same as my iTunes HD digital. It's far from pristine and has plenty of anomalies. IMO, it's mediocre at best video-wise. I seriously doubt a Blu-ray release is coming in the near future. A new master would have to be used for such a release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This week's Noir Alley movie is "Where the Sidewalk Ends" (1950) starring Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Gary Merrill and Karl Malden. I'm going to watch the TT Blu-ray that has Eddie's audio commentary on it. I'll then listen to Eddie's Noir comments to see if he adds anything to his previous audio commentary.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2020 schedule:

03-07-20: Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
03-14-20: I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
03-21-20: Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
03-28-20: Crime Wave (1954)
04-04-20: Address Unknown (1944)
04-11-20: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)
04-25-20: Wicked Woman (1954)
05-02-20: Fallen Angel (1945)
05-09-20: Mildred Pierce (1945)
05-16-20: The Crimson Kimono (1959)
05-23-20: Cornered (1945)
05-30-20: A Kiss Before Dying (1956)
06-06-20: The Underworld Story (1950)
06-13-20: Murder by Contract (1958)
06-20-20: Underworld U.S.A. (1961)
06-27-20: The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
07-04-20: The Sign of the Ram (1948)
07-11-20: Bodyguard (1948)
07-18-20: Three Strangers (1946)
07-25-20: The Breaking Point (1950)
09-06-20: Night Editor (1946) "Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Only"
09-12-20: Danger Signal (1945)
09-19-20: Gilda (1946)
09-26-20: They Won't Believe Me (1947)

10-03-20: Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)
10-10-20: The Racket (1951)
10-17-20: Destination Murder (1950)
10-24-20: Macao (1952)
10-31-20: The Seventh Victim (1943)
11-07-20: Nightfall (1957)
11-14-20: Fear (1946)
11-21-20: Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
11-28-20: Suspense (1946)
12-05-20: Tomorrow is Another Day (1951)
12-12-20: The Burglar (1957)
12-19-20: The Unsuspected (1947)
12-26-20: Detour (1945)

• Appreciate
Reactions: cda1143

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Watching Bombshell always makes me a little sad because from accounts of her home life, Harlow had leech-like relatives just as depicted in this satirical gem. It just makes me feel so sorry for her, especially knowing that she would have only a few years at the top and even those years were filled with troubled marriages, illness, and those dastardly relatives.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Watching Bombshell always makes me a little sad because from accounts of her home life, Harlow had leech-like relatives just as depicted in this satirical gem. It just makes me feel so sorry for her, especially knowing that she would have only a few years at the top and even those years were filled with troubled marriages, illness, and those dastardly relatives.
Yeah, she was actually playing herself in Bombshell.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I can't wait to read what others have to say about "Where the Sidewalk Ends". I was always a big Dana Andrews fan and thought he was underrated as an actor. There is little doubt, he was one of the best film noir leading men during that era. Eddie was a little rough on Gene Tierney in his audio commentary, but he was right about her limited acting range. Another actress that had a sad life. Eddie might have ben right about that "gay" theme between Merrill and Brand's characters. Anyhow, "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is a terrific film as I always enjoy watching it every 5-10 years.

Reactions: cda1143

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Last night I also watched "To Catch a Thief" on iTunes in 4K/Dolby Vision. I thought it looked beautiful so I don't quite understand all of the criticism it has endured over the last several months. I loved the color in this new stream.:thumbsup:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Last night I also watched "To Catch a Thief" on iTunes in 4K/Dolby Vision. I thought it looked beautiful so I don't quite understand all of the criticism it has endured over the last several months. I loved the color in this new stream.:thumbsup:
I don't own it yet, but I plan to get it, and I also decided that if I update those four recent Hitchcock 4Ks, I'll get the streaming versions when prices are right. I started with Rear Window the other day.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Where the Sidewalk Ends. First class story and Noir. I can't believe I haven't seen this before (hey, at this stage, maybe I have), but I never blinked or drifted away. And it just wasn't Gene Tierney pouting her lips at the camera while she pretended to sleep. It is a beautifully-crafted film. The perfect flawed-hero narrative. My only complaint was, though the print was crisp and sharp, the tone flickered throughout from straight black & white to a slightly different shade. It was subtle but distracting.

I was never a big Dana Andrews fan (and the Zucker brothers had a field day with Crash Dive, as Airplane attests), but I had not seen him originally in Noirs, which he was obviously built for. He's an MVP for those. No spoilers, but I'm glad they didn't cop out (well, literally, they did; he's out) on the ending. The letter had to pay off. It couldn't be all diffuse filters, a Tierney kiss, and happy ever after, yet.

Until this film, I thought Congressman and Civil Rights icon John Lewis had coined the term "Good Trouble," but he just copped it from Willie on parole, who says it to Dixon in the cab while being roughed up... "You call this good trouble." I had to laugh. (Let's give the credit to screenwriter Ben Hecht).

Last edited:
Reactions: HawksFord

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As promised, I watched the intro and outro: nothing new but I always enjoy Eddie's easy style in delivering information on a film, its stars, and background artists. He is one of TCM's biggest assets!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Where the Sidewalk Ends. First class story and Noir. I can't believe I haven't seen this before (hey, at this stage, maybe I have), but I never blinked or drifted away. And it just wasn't Gene Tierney pouting her lips at the camera while she pretended to sleep. It is a beautifully-crafted film. The perfect flawed-hero narrative. My only complaint was, though the print was crisp and sharp, the tone flickered throughout from straight black & white to a slightly different shade. It was subtle but distracting.

I was never a big Dana Andrews fan (and the Zucker brothers had a field day with Crash Dive, as Airplane attests), but I had not seen him originally in Noirs, which he was obviously built for. He's an MVP for those. No spoilers, but I'm glad they didn't cop out (well, literally, they did; he's out) on the ending. The letter had to pay off. It couldn't be all diffuse filters, a Tierney kiss, and happy ever after, yet.

Until this film, I thought Congressman and Civil Rights icon John Lewis had coined the term "Good Trouble," but he just copped it from Willie on parole, who says it to Dixon in the cab while being roughed up... "You call this good trouble." I had to laugh. (Let's give the credit to screenwriter Ben Hecht).
I think you mean "Zero Hour!" because "Crash Dive" was a WWII movie about submarines that Andrews starred in with Tyrone Power.

As to that term "Good Trouble" I seriously doubt John Lewis copped that term from "Where the Sidewalk Ends".:)

Reactions: Hollywoodaholic

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Besides the NFL, I watched the following movies on the TCM app. Regarding "The Enchanted Cottage" (1945) I don't understand the movie posters that played up the theme of "scandal" with this movie. I've watched this movie in it's entirety about 3-4 times and there isn't any scandal in this movie. Anyhow, the movie is about two people that found beauty and love in each other while living at a little New England cottage. The man, was a wounded WWII flyer from a wealthy family and the woman, a local "homely" girl. This John Cromwell directed movie has its flaws, but I also appreciate the message of the film which reminds me of a lyric from an old Ray Stevens song that "everything is beautiful in its own way". Well, I can't say the same thing that this TCM presentation was beautiful and from my memory bank doesn't look much better than my 2009 WA DVD of this RKO release.:) The cast is top notched with Robert Young, Dorothy McGuire, Herbert Marshall and Mildred Natwick.

My second movie was Cry Terror! (1958) starring James Mason, Inger Stevens, Rod Steiger, Jack Klugman, Angie Dickinson, Neville Brand and Kenneth Tobey. This film is one of the first movies about a terrorist threatening an airline. The terrorist gang is trying to collect a ransom from an airline by threatening to blow up one of their airplanes with a bomb if their ransom demand isn't met. The terrorist gang consists of Steiger, Klugman, Dickinson and Brand. They forced an explosive expert to design the bomb, by holding his wife and daughter hostage with the FBI hot on their trail. Surprisingly, this low budget movie had portions of it filmed around NYC. The plot is implausible in some areas, but the film is entertaining with Brand playing a creepy rapist, Dickinson playing a bad girl, Klugman playing a hood and Steiger playing a psycho criminal mastermind. Mason was fine in his role as the explosive expert, but Stevens was really impressive as his wife that had to deal with both, Brand and Steiger. The TCM app presentation was fine, but I don't remember how my 2011 WA DVD looked to compared the two.

1601882266959.png

1601883180604.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
[QUOTE="Robert Crawford, p Mason was fine in his role as the explosive expert, but Stevens was really impressive as his wife that had to deal with both, Brand and Steiger. The TCM app presentation was fine, but I don't remember how my 2011 WA DVD looked to compared the two.

[/QUOTE]
Going from memory, the DVD is pretty rough. I've always felt that Inger Stevens was better when she was a young actress starting out in films like this and Man On Fire. When, later, she got starring roles in movies like Hang 'Em High and House Of Cards she seemed less interesting, less individual, just another film and TV actress. I'd love to see Man On Fire again.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AAelite93