Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

Cranston37

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Best wishes
In short, I don't post on social media, I use Twitter and FB to post stuff on this forum and to follow news about my sports teams. If I ever leave this forum, I will probably delete my accounts. I've come to loathe these social media companies.
Have you watched "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix, Robert? Highly recommended if you haven't. Like Eddie, I also feel my time spent online is coming to a close...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
And this is my only "social" account. My 3 children have also forever eschewed Facebook, etc.
As a number of my former young uns colleagues have found, calling in sick and they posting picks "Working on My Tan" and "Partying With My BFFs" can result in "... I'm looking for a new job" ...

Also, employers can and will check Facebook and twitter for personal accounts prior to potential employment.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: TikTok will not longer be available to download in the app stores starting on Sunday! ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
This weekend's Noir Alley movie is "Gilda" (1946) starring Glenn Ford, Rita Hayworth, George Macready and his little friend;), Joseph Calleia and Steven Geray. One of the better known film noirs and a movie I've seen more times than I can remember.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2020 schedule:

03-07-20: Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
03-14-20: I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
03-21-20: Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
03-28-20: Crime Wave (1954)
04-04-20: Address Unknown (1944)
04-11-20: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)
04-25-20: Wicked Woman (1954)
05-02-20: Fallen Angel (1945)
05-09-20: Mildred Pierce (1945)
05-16-20: The Crimson Kimono (1959)
05-23-20: Cornered (1945)
05-30-20: A Kiss Before Dying (1956)
06-06-20: The Underworld Story (1950)
06-13-20: Murder by Contract (1958)
06-20-20: Underworld U.S.A. (1961)
06-27-20: The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
07-04-20: The Sign of the Ram (1948)
07-11-20: Bodyguard (1948)
07-18-20: Three Strangers (1946)
07-25-20: The Breaking Point (1950)
09-06-20: Night Editor (1946) "Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Only"
09-12-20: Danger Signal (1945)

09-19-20: Gilda (1946)
09-26-20: They Won't Believe Me (1947)
10-03-20: Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)
10-10-20: The Racket (1951)
10-17-20: Destination Murder (1950)
10-24-20: Macao (1952)
10-31-20: The Seventh Victim (1943)
11-07-20: Nightfall (1957)
11-14-20: Fear (1946)
11-21-20: Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
11-28-20: Suspense (1946)
12-05-20: Tomorrow is Another Day (1951)
12-12-20: The Burglar (1957)
12-19-20: The Unsuspected (1947)
12-26-20: Detour (1945)
I must say that Eddie's personal journey in his interpretation of this film is very similar to my own. I loved his before and after comments last night. Insightful in every way.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Gilda. So, sue me, I've never watched this entire film before. And I wish I heard Muller's interpretation before I watched this screening. Because I'm watching this more probably like his 13-year old naïve self and I'm just whiffing by the obvious subtext. It makes absolute sense in that context. I couldn't understand why Johnny was so pliably loyal to Ballin (other than he saved him once). I couldn't understand why Gilda was such a taunting bitch and why anyone watching the film would not be repulsed by her behavior. But within the now apparent subtext, all the behaviors are totally understandable. Now, I have to watch it again (someday).

In light of Muller's outro comments, I would also be very curious if Ford knew exactly what Vidor was implying with all his direction and his character. Was Ford on board with that? I got the most overt direction when Gilda wants a cigarette from Johnny and he dangles the lighter away from her (at his crotch), and she has to virtually go down on him to light her cigarette. But how could I miss the even more obvious knife cane symbolism? Oh, well, it's just fun to see films that had to cleverly conceal all this instead of just openly flaunting it in your face as today's movies because... well, maybe because we're just all so cynically schooled and have seen everything.

In that sense, I was glad this film revealed I still have some naivete left.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, Eddie's interpretation is the only valid one for the film as far as I'm concerned. I didn't watch the whole movie but as I was speeding ahead to get to the outro, I did pause long enough to enjoy Gilda's two nightclub numbers (vocals provided by Anita Ellis, which I had hoped Eddie would mention).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
First watched as a child because my mother sat me in front of the TV and said: "Ah, Gilda".
Fast forward to my twenties in NYC, a 35mm print at the Regency, and I left the theater, went home and told my wife that I had seen Glenn Ford playing a bisexual in a love triangle with Gilda. I could scarcely believe what I had just watched. There is no other interpretation and I have no idea what audiences in the '40s thought, but I'm sure my mother didn't share mine!

Reactions: lark144

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was thinking actor Glenn Ford was pretty square and maybe not sure what director Vidor was doing with him and Macready, but this account says different:

This scene is infused with homoromantic dialogue. I have already established Ballin as a gay man, and I believe Johnny to be bisexual because we know of his romantic associations with Gilda in the past. Glenn Ford himself said in an interview that he and George Macready “knew we were supposed to be playing homosexuals” (Russo 1987, 78). The fact that even the actors were aware of the homosexual aspect of their characters leaves one wondering just how open that closet door was in the noir era. The two men make a toast to the three of them (Johnny, Ballin and the cane), promising that no woman would stand between them and so there begins their relationship, right at the beginning of the story.
http://americanaejournal.hu/vol10no1/kaszas

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I was thinking actor Glenn Ford was pretty square and maybe not sure what director Vidor was doing with him and Macready, but this account says different:

This scene is infused with homoromantic dialogue. I have already established Ballin as a gay man, and I believe Johnny to be bisexual because we know of his romantic associations with Gilda in the past. Glenn Ford himself said in an interview that he and George Macready “knew we were supposed to be playing homosexuals” (Russo 1987, 78). The fact that even the actors were aware of the homosexual aspect of their characters leaves one wondering just how open that closet door was in the noir era. The two men make a toast to the three of them (Johnny, Ballin and the cane), promising that no woman would stand between them and so there begins their relationship, right at the beginning of the story.
http://americanaejournal.hu/vol10no1/kaszas
There is little doubt in my mind, that Ford knew what was up. Ford a known Hollywood "lothario", who had deep personal sexual relationships with Rita and Evelyn Keyes was probably well aware of it or was told by the women in his life. Now, Bobby Crawford in middle school in 1967/1968, wasn't that astute and didn't recognize the gay subtext until I saw it again while in college during the mid-1970's. As Eddie stated, the little light bulb in my head came on.

Reactions: Hollywoodaholic

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
After I read this, I did some research on the allegation that Glenn Ford was a racist as he refused to sit next to an African-American actress Gail Fisher. And it turns out that was true .. but the story was more complicated. Glenn refused to sit next to her as he had been promised that he would be seated next to his guest, his young son Peter. And when he was later accused of racism, he got rather angry and asked how come then was it that Peter's godmother was Pearl Bailey!
I've never much liked him as an actor .. it's funny that he is at his very best in the film which also yielded Marlon Brando's best performance ... 'Superman the Movie'. Some might disagree......

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
After I read this, I did some research on the allegation that Glenn Ford was a racist as he refused to sit next to an African-American actress Gail Fisher. And it turns out that was true .. but the story was more complicated. Glenn refused to sit next to her as he had been promised that he would be seated next to his guest, his young son Peter. And when he was later accused of racism, he got rather angry and asked how come then was it that Peter's godmother was Pearl Bailey!
I've never much liked him as an actor .. it's funny that he is at his very best in the film which also yielded Marlon Brando's best performance ... 'Superman the Movie'. Some might disagree......
He's one of my favorites, so yes, some might disagree with that movie choice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
1600851379546.png

Is simply a great entertaining movie that still holds up for me, 35 years after my first viewing of it. My HD digital on iTunes upgraded to 4K with Dolby Vision and Atmos so I took advantage of this premature upgrade and sat down yesterday afternoon to watch it. Man, the cast was great, but Christopher Lloyd from my home county of Fairfield County, CT was hilarious in this film. I had a big smile on my face the entire runtime. By the way, the audio and video presentations were awesome. Anyhow, I expect the iTunes digital to revert back to HD again within the next 24 or so hours. The 4K disc release is October, 20th so the digital will upgrade again around that date.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13