What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (10 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Watched Noir Alley with Eddie Muller comments about Possessed, the 1947 film starring Joan Crawford. Some great commentary by Eddie about Joan and the production of this film. Crawford's performance in this film is really, really good. A good case can be made for Crawford that she was robbed that year. IMO, it should have been between Crawford and Russell. Young was good in The Farmer's Daughter, but Best Actress good, not in my opinion, Russell on the other hand, I could see her winning it.

WINNER
LORETTA YOUNG
The Farmer's Daughter
NOMINEES
JOAN CRAWFORD
Possessed
SUSAN HAYWARD
Smash-Up--The Story of a Woman
DOROTHY MCGUIRE
Gentleman's Agreement
ROSALIND RUSSELL
Mourning Becomes Electra

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I watched the Eddie Muller comments (not the film which I had watched not too long ago) and, as always, they're really informative and thought-provoking.

I'd have given the Oscar to Rosalind Russell as most of the other awards organizations had done prior to the Oscars. Her role was very complex in a long, difficult film. If the movie had been a hit at the box-office, that might have made the difference. The other four ladies all were in hit films. Loretta Young's win certainly does rank as one of the all-time Oscar upsets.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As was I .
That's pretty much all we do here.:)

Now that we got that settled, I watched KIck-Ass on 4K/UHD disc. Another fine Lionsgate release for this guilty pleasure of mine. I wish they would make another film with Hit Girl as a woman seeking out bad guys.

Lost Horizon on Blu-ray was another Sony release that was wonderfully presented for an 80 year old film that was sliced and diced many years ago by Columbia. Not on the level as some other Capra titles on Blu-ray, but one that I am very happy to have in my collection and retire my DVD.

I'm in the middle of watching the RED films with Bruce Willis on 4K/UHD. So far, very impressive.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't want to thread crap so I'm posting the following comments here. I see Kino is releasing some 1950's era 3-D films onto Blu-ray. However, I never been a Fernando Lamas fan and both films are not consider good films. I guess I'm happy for 3-D enthusiasts, but to me, a bad film in 3-D is still a bad film. I admit, I have no memory of seeing either film beforehand, so I'll wait to see how others feel about those titles once they're released in the coming months.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
As my wife just said "Fernando in 3D" needless to say she's a fan. Nice to have another Blu-Ray to add to our must buy 3D list Bob and thank you for the exciting news all involved in the great 3D resto work.

I've never met anyone who was a Fernando Lamas fan.

Robin, meet Lenny's wife.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
To see the great stars of the silver screen in 3D is something else, particularly when most of todays efforts are shot against a green screened studio.
Not forgetting the leading female actors in the 1953 film along with Fernando.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To see the great stars of the silver screen in 3D is something else, particularly when most of todays efforts are shot against a green screened studio.
Not forgetting the leading female actors in the 1953 film along with Fernando.
Fernando was not a great star!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Bridge on the River Kwai 4K/UHD release is on the viewing docket today. I just hope my postman delivers my mail earlier than usual.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Busy weekend so far. I viewed Blade Runner 2049 at an IMAX theater. Next up was Hour of the Gun, blu-ray release from Twilight Time. Not pristine as far as dirt removal, but still a significant improvement over the DVD.

As far as The Bridge on the River Kwai, well, Sony should be proud, what a terrific looking and sounding 4K/UHD disc. I literally had tears coming out of my eyes during some of those scenes. Just the right amount of HDR without it being excessive and ruining the filmmakers vision of the film.

Today, I'll have my Noir Alley viewing with Eddie Muller on Turner Classic Movies. They're showing They Won't Believe Me. Another fine film that hasn't been properly released on optical disc. Also. some NFL football and MLB baseball.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Busy weekend so far. I viewed Blade Runner 2049 at an IMAX theater. Next up was Hour of the Gun, blu-ray release from Twilight Time. Not pristine as far as dirt removal, but still a significant improvement over the DVD.

As far as The Bridge on the River Kwai, well, Sony should be proud, what a terrific looking and sounding 4K/UHD disc. I literally had tears coming out of my eyes during some of those scenes. Just the right amount of HDR without it being excessive and ruining the filmmakers vision of the film.

Today, I'll have my Noir Alley viewing with Eddie Muller. They're showing They Won't Believe Me. Another fine film that hasn't been properly released on optical disc. Also. some NFL football and MLB baseball.

They Won't Believe Me is the film with Robert Young, Jane Greer and Susan Hayward? I'd love a good disc with the full movie. This is a film that could more effectively be remade today.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yep, I'm looking forward to They Won't Believe Me, too!
I always thought the ending was non-ambiguous to me as I think his intention was to do what he did in the book. Anyhow, I agree with you that all three actresses were aces in this film. It's ironic, the same year that They Won't Believe Me was released in 1947, Young played a much different role in Crossfire. Great stories by Muller again. Without a doubt, Joan Harrison had to be some woman for Hitchcock to partnered up with. She should have a greater career producing films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They Won't Believe Me is the film with Robert Young, Jane Greer and Susan Hayward? I'd love a good disc with the full movie. This is a film that could more effectively be remade today.
Again, TCM showed the cut version as this film suppose to be 95 minutes according to AFI.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Again, TCM showed the cut version as this film suppose to be 95 minutes according to AFI.

Decades ago - literally - I've seen both the full and the cut version. Sadly, I haven't seen the film for ages and I can't recall what was cut or why. I do vividly recall seeing the cut version and being very conscious that some scenes were missing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon dropped the pricing to $14.72 for The Bridge on the River Kwai 4K/UHD release!

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When it comes to classic films, today, I had one of the best days I ever experienced in my lifetime.

First off, UPS shows up early in the afternoon with the Warner Archive Blu-ray release of The Sea Wolf. The picture looked beautiful and the audio was outstanding. What a tremendous job Warner did with this wonderful film. Finally intact to its 100 minute length and looking better than I ever viewed beforehand. Tremendous acting performances by Robinson, Garfield, Lupino, Knox and character actors like Gene Lockhart, Barry Fitzgerald, Howard de Silva and Stanley Ridges. I wish my old man was still alive to see this Blu-ray as he was the one that first introduced John Garfield to me and got me interested in watching this film for the first time.

Later in the afternoon, the postal service finally delivered the ClassicFlix Blu-ray of T-Men. Just wow! It was only in July when Turner Classic Movies Noir Alley showed this film. The video and audio presentations of this Blu-ray is as different as that TCM showing as it is night and day. It was like watching this film for the first time again. The outstanding camera work John Alton and direction of Anthony Mann is on full display with this Blu-ray. This is one of those films that you watch and study for its photography and direction. Without a doubt, many great directors and cinematographers have made note of this film. The shot selection in this film is just legendary. Some greaf location shots in and around Los Angeles and Detroit in 1947. I can do without the Treasury Department stuff, but the rest of the film makes up for it. Also, really good acting performances by Dennis O'Keefe, Alfred Ryder, Wallace Ford, Charles McGraw and a small part for June Lockhart daughter of Gene Lockhart many years before Lost in Space hit our TV screens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks