What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was thinking of "What intrigued me most was how the rug was pulled away in the very last scene. I truly thought he was going to get away with it once he was cleared of the Germans' murders."
There you go, Matt, spoiling things again.;) Seriously, I thought you were talking about the back and forth Wayne and I were having here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Clark's review of "Canyon Passage". I kind of disagree with him because I absolutely love this movie.

Clark's review of "Beau Brummell" which is an okay movie, but I would have preferred "Scaramouche" being released on Blu-ray. Anyhow, I need to watch my Blu-ray of "Beau Brummell" with all this "stay at home" time I have on my hand.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed perusing Eddie's top 25 film noir list. Surprised at a few omissions that I thought would be in a top 25 list, but it is his list, not mine.

Force of Evil, The Big Sleep, and The Big Heat are three films that I thought might be in his list; but then what do you remove to make room for any of these films?

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Enjoyed perusing Eddie's top 25 film noir list. Surprised at a few omissions that I thought would be in a top 25 list, but it is his list, not mine.

Force of Evil, The Big Sleep, and The Big Heat are three films that I thought might be in his list; but then what do you remove to make room for any of these films?

- Walter.
Those three movies are among my top 25 film noir because they were instrumental in me becoming a film noir fan to begin with. I loved those three movies from the first time I watched them as a young teenager about 50 years ago.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pale Flower. Definitely Noir; should have been on Noir Alley. I appreciated it visually and can see its influence on so many films since (Frank Miller's Sin City, for instance). But I'm not a big fan of 'New Wave' films. It's all style over substance. I'm an old-fashioned story story story fan. Just my preference. You have to go beyond just meditating on a premise to hold my attention. John Boorman's Point Blank is simply a revenge premise, but wow, I can't divert my eyes from it because of the editing (and Lee Marvin). So, exceptions.

But I was intrigued by whatever the hell that game was they were so fervently betting on. It loses some suspense for me when I don't have a clue what the rules are. I just watched that great con game film A Big Hand for the Little Lady, and they do a great job of giving you all you need to know about Poker to appreciate what's going on. And, best of all,
the 'Lady' wins without her 'hand' ever needing to be revealed.
Great stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
For fans of W.C. Fields and great comedy TCM will broadcast tomorrow night one of my favorites "Million Dollar Legs". Jack Oakie is just as good as the brush salesman visiting the country of Klopstokia.
I love this movie. Not only is it really funny but is one of your few opportunities to see footage from the 1932 LA olympics. Thanks for the heads-up. We’ll be DVRing it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched "Captains of the Clouds" (1942) starring James Cagney, Dennis Morgan, Brenda Marshall, Alan Hale Jr. and George Tobias. This "Technicolor" movie will need a lot of work to be properly presentable in 1080p. It's been some time since my last viewing of this movie and it didn't age well with me as I think I enjoyed it more when I was a kid than I do now. It's an okay WWII movie about a group of Canadian "Bush" pilots joining the war effort with the Royal Canadian Air Force, but the movie drags on with some its romantic entanglements and WWII propaganda. However, the acting performances were very good which is to be expected from a Cagney movie directed by Michael Curtiz. I always found it interesting that Brenda Marshall's character makes a transition
from being a "good" girl to kind of a "bad" one.
The aerial footage is impressive, but the model airplane sequences are lacking to this set of 2020 eyes. I'm sure movie audiences back in 1942, didn't mind them though and neither did a much younger Crawdaddy. On a film grading scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best, my movie score is 2.5.

cc04.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
These were my comments about "Crime Wave" two years ago. I'm not sure I'll watch it again on Noir Alley but I might watch it on iTunes because I bought the HD digital on Christmas Eve from them. Of course, I'll listen to Eddie's comments either way.

91080891_1277796022410602_2003279077359747072_o.jpg

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
@EddieMuller
SKIDOO YOU FLU. That’s what the sign says. My mother (far right) and siblings during the 1918 influenza epidemic. Three of these kids lived into their 90s. My Mom was the last to go, at age 101. I hope this is optimistic.

Then there's Olivia De Havilland who has so far made it through both of them ;)

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Crime Wave. Third time's the charm. I have the DVD, watched the previous showing on Noir Alley, but still felt compelled to watch it again after Muller's opening comments. Blame it on short term memory, or just the need during a calamity to see something with a....

...happy ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks