Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Alicia Malone will be live tweeting during "It's Always Fair Weather" tomorrow at 1:15pm eastern as it plays on TCM.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
TCM's Noir Alley 2020 schedule:

03-07-20: Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
03-14-20: I Wake Up Screaming (1941)

03-21-20: Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
03-28-20: Crime Wave (1954)
04-04-20: Address Unknown (1944)
04-11-20: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)
04-18-20: Witness to Murder (1954)
04-25-20: Wicked Woman (1954)
05-02-20: Fallen Angel (1945)
05-09-20: Mildred Pierce (1945)
05-16-20: The Crimson Kimono (1959)
05-23-20: Cornered (1945)
05-30-20: A Kiss Before Dying (1956)
06-06-20: The Underworld Story (1950)
06-13-20: Murder by Contract (1958)
06-20-20: Underworld U.S.A. (1961)
06-27-20: The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
07-04-20: The Sign of the Ram (1948)
07-11-20: Bodyguard (1948)
07-18-20: Three Strangers (1946)
07-25-20: The Breaking Point (1950)

A fine film! This was my first viewing and I will either revisit it on the Criterion Channel or during the next sale buy the Blu-ray. Jeanne Moreau was a great actress. What an expressive face. Yes, I love the score by Miles. Alicia was fantastic with Eddie.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
In honor of my favorite all-time actress, Barbara Stanwyck. She wasn't the best looking nor sexist actress, but damn she can act with those wonderful facial gestures and the way she could deliver her lines.

Reactions: Mysto and Rodney

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
My Sunday just got a little better.:D More Ella Raines on Blu-ray.

Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Suspect (1944) Starring Charles Laughton, Ella Raines, Dean Harens & Stanley Ridges - Shot by Paul Ivano (Black Angel) - Directed by Robert Siodmak (The Spiral Staircase, The Killers, Cry of the City, Criss Cross).

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
All this talk about "The Suspect" and Ella Raines got me in the mood for my annual visit with "Tall in the Saddle". God, I love that western! Did you guys know that Paul Fix, who's in this movie was a good friend of John Wayne and was his acting teacher back in the day before he became an iconic actor. Rumor is Fix helped Wayne developed his acting mannerisms like his iconic walk. Also, Fix co-wrote the screenplay for "Tall in the Saddle" as he's listed as Paul P. Fix in the film credits.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Elevator to the Gallows. Good story, good directing, great face on Moreau, great trumpet score from Miles Davis. Poor guy was screwed no matter what happened. My only quibble is... whatever happened to due process? You splatter a suspect's name and face all over the paper before he's even been indicted? But then almost every Noir or crime movie is guilty of the same thing. And then there's Richard Jewell. Blame the press, I guess.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Elevator to the Gallows. Good story, good directing, great face on Moreau, great trumpet score from Miles Davis. Poor guy was screwed no matter what happened. My only quibble is... whatever happened to due process? You splatter a suspect's name and face all over the paper before he's even been indicted? But then almost every Noir or crime movie is guilty of the same thing. And then there's Richard Jewell. Blame the press, I guess.
Didn't that happen quite often back in those days?

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
My second Western viewing was "Along the Great Divide" (1951) starring Kirk Douglas, Virginia Mayo, Walter Brennan and John Agar. The TCM app presentation wasn't great, but was okay. I believe this was Douglas's first western movie. I always enjoyed this western as Douglas and Brennan were excellent in this movie and it's never a bad thing to watch Mayo in a movie.:)

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A fine film! This was my first viewing and I will either revisit it on the Criterion Channel or during the next sale buy the Blu-ray. Jeanne Moreau was a great actress. What an expressive face. Yes, I love the score by Miles. Alicia was fantastic with Eddie.
I hate hats, particularly women's hats. But Alicia looked great sporting her hat.
I've seen Elevator many times at the movies; I don't think I've ever seen it at home. It's a fine film. You can catch a younger Moreau in another fine French film available from Kino: Touchez pas au grisbi (Don't Touch the Loot), 1954, with the great Jean Gabin.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I hate hats, particularly women's hats. But Alicia looked great sporting her hat.
I've seen Elevator many times at the movies; I don't think I've ever seen it at home. It's a fine film. You can catch a younger Moreau in another fine French film available from Kino: Touchez pas au grisbi (Don't Touch the Loot), 1954, with the great Jean Gabin.
I've already seen that film a couple of times, but haven't watched my Kino Blu-ray yet. With all this downtime on my hand, I'll probably rectify that situation in the near future.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
"Pale Flower" is one of Eddie's favorite films and was going to headline Noir City L.A. before it was cancelled...

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thoroughly enjoyed Elevator to the Gallows (well, the pace might have been just a little snappier; Louis Malle always takes his time in his films). What intrigued me most was how the rug was pulled away in the very last scene. I truly thought he was going to get away with it once he was cleared of the Germans' murders.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Didn't that happen quite often back in those days?
In this situation it wasn't the press, but that crazy police chief who holds an impromptu press conference and basically tells all the reporters that the police already know the killer, prematurely name him, and claim to have all the evidence they need. That would never happen except in the movies; especially one starring Captain Clouseau.

Cranston37

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
How is that spoiler as we never mentioned the suspect's name and it wouldn't be a film noir without a murder?
I was thinking of "What intrigued me most was how the rug was pulled away in the very last scene. I truly thought he was going to get away with it once he was cleared of the Germans' murders."

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mansibtani