What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (6 Viewers)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Eddie posted a picture of one side of his study. The painting is his father...

811498A8-BC24-41EA-B565-9F07B858B59E.jpeg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt's 2016 Blu-ray Review of "I Wake Up Screaming"

RAH's thread about the same Kino BD Release. I'm going to watch my BD again with Eddie's commentary on the disc. After that, I will listen to his "Noir Alley" comments.
Thanks so much for digging up these reviews. I knew I had the disc, but I honestly didn't remember writing the review. I'll likely listen to the before and after without rewatching the movie. I have so many discs and streams I want to get to.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks so much for digging up these reviews. I knew I had the disc, but I honestly didn't remember writing the review. I'll likely listen to the before and after without rewatching the movie. I have so many discs and streams I want to get to.
I just finished watching the Blu-ray again and I forgot how good Eddie's commentary was, about this film. A very influential movie when it comes to "film noir" that has some great camera work in it, despite some bad back projection shots. One more thing, Laird Cregar was one fine actor that left us much too soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just finished watching the Blu-ray again and I forgot how good Eddie's commentary was, about this film. A very influential movie when it comes to "film noir" that has some great camera work in it, despite some bad back projection shots. One more thing, Laird Cregar was one fine actor that left us much too soon.
Eddie talked about it on the audio commentary and again in his Noir Alley comments about a certain famous song being featured in "I Wake Up Screaming". Like him, I don't get why this particular song was used in the movie. They don't mesh in my opinion..

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I Wake Up Screaming. Okay, but the dialogue and acting was a bit cornball for me. I'm glad Eddie brought up "Over the Rainbow," because it was driving me nuts every time it was played (usually upon Grable's appearance). I think the explanation is as simple as it was a popular radio tune of the day since "Wizard of Oz," and this film bought the rights to use it. It's still a common practice to use a popular contemporary song in a film. I'm reminded of the film Say Anything paying the exorbitant price of $300,000 just to use Peter Gabriel's song "In Your Eyes," but then what is the most memorable moment of that film? Money well spent. It didn't work in this instance. It took me very much out of any potential Noir mood.

I also have a hard time taking Victor Mature as an actor seriously, since my first exposure to him was in the Peter Sellar's comedy After the Fox basically playing a parody version of himself as the self-involved actor Tony Powell. And the hair dye coming off in the actress' hands as she caressed his head to kiss him. I just couldn't stop thinking of that hair dye coming off in all those hats he wore here. And when you're focusing on insignificant details like that, well, the picture is not sweeping you away in its story. But there is a decent story behind this slightly cornball presentation. Or book. I tried to go back to the original source after last week's Ride the Pink Horse, but any paperbacks of the original book were out of print. Too bad.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I Wake Up Screaming. Okay, but the dialogue and acting was a bit cornball for me. I'm glad Eddie brought up "Over the Rainbow," because it was driving me nuts every time it was played (usually upon Grable's appearance). I think the explanation is as simple as it was a popular radio tune of the day since "Wizard of Oz," and this film bought the rights to use it. It's still a common practice to use a popular contemporary song in a film. I'm reminded of the film Say Anything paying the exorbitant price of $300,000 just to use Peter Gabriel's song "In Your Eyes," but then what is the most memorable moment of that film? Money well spent. It didn't work in this instance. It took me very much out of any potential Noir mood.

I also have a hard time taking Victor Mature as an actor seriously, since my first exposure to him was in the Peter Sellar's comedy After the Fox basically playing a parody version of himself as the self-involved actor Tony Powell. And the hair dye coming off in the actress' hands as she caressed his head to kiss him. I just couldn't stop thinking of that hair dye coming off in all those hats he wore here. And when you're focusing on insignificant details like that, well, the picture is not sweeping you away in its story. But there is a decent story behind this slightly cornball presentation. Or book. I tried to go back to the original source after last week's Ride the Pink Horse, but any paperbacks of the original book were out of print.
Well, I disagree with you about the acting as I thought it was pretty good in this movie. I'm not a fan of Betty Grable, but I thought the other actors were fine in their roles. As to Mature, I agree with Eddie that he was a better actor than given credit for.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was on the TCM app and was pleased that the film was there with Eddie's intro and outro comments. I skipped the film itself in favor of something else, but I will revisit his full length commentary soon.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I Wake Up Screaming was seriously hurt by the music. It wasn't just the song, but the score just kept playing the same motif over and over and over...

No matter if this or Maltese Falcon was the first noir - Elisha Cook Jr was in them both so he was definitely in the first noir.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Did anybody catch Ben's comment when the film that played before "I Wake Up Screaming" ended? The crew could be heard laughing in the background, because Ben said - coming up, this week's Noir Ally Presentation, 'I Wake Up Screaming', also the title of the autobiography written by Eddie's wife, Kathy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Did anybody catch Ben's comment when the film that played before "I Wake Up Screaming" ended? The crew could be heard laughing in the background, because Ben said - coming up, this week's Noir Ally Presentation, 'I Wake Up Screaming', also the title of the autobiography written by Eddie's wife, Kathy.
No, I didn't hear it, but I love the back and forth between Eddie and Ben. I wouldn't mind being in a bar with those two after they had a couple of drinks.:D I imagine those two guys would have me rolling in laughter with their playful insults towards each other.:laugh:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Yeah, assuming it was genuine (which I hope it was), at least one or two of the crew members were rolling in laughter after Ben's zinger!

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'll tell you one thing that makes me sad - I've liked Alicia Malone ever since she came on my radar a number of years ago. I catch her a lot on all the usual places - podcasts, YouTube, etc. I can tell you with no doubt that when she's on TCM she is purposely toning down her accent. You can hear it most when she does this hard "R" sound that we do in America. I wish she would just be her.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll tell you one thing that makes me sad - I've liked Alicia Malone ever since she came on my radar a number of years ago. I catch her a lot on all the usual places - podcasts, YouTube, etc. I can tell you with no doubt that when she's on TCM she is purposely toning down her accent. You can hear it most when she does this hard "R" sound that we do in America. I wish she would just be her.
You got that right as I love her Australian accent.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Look who's joining Eddie next weekend to discuss "Elevator to the Gallows" (1958):

89913198_1268694299987441_3240948880946233344_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks