What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (7 Viewers)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I know very little about this week's Noir Alley selection "Cash on Demand" (1961) starring Peter Cushing and Andre Morell. This will be my first viewing of this Brit crime drama. Anybody from across the pond have anything to say about this movie?

The first time I saw "Cash on Demand" was when I bought the excellent Indicator box set "Hammer Volume Two: Criminal Intent". All four films in the set are great; "Cash on Demand", "The Snorkel", "Never Take Sweets From a Stranger" and "The Full Treatment". Masses of extras for each film. "Cash on Demand" is an engrossing, well plotted film with a superb performance from one of my favorite actors Andre Morell.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never seen next week's movie either, so another to look forward to before I head out of town for New Year's.
Neither have I and I'm a big Joan Leslie fan.

80342734_1198664553657083_2879367919442067456_o.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see Universal on January 21st is releasing a bunch of Blu-ray MOD titles including "Kitten with a Whip" (1964). A mediocre movie, but one that I vividly remember because of a certain young actress at that time. Hubba, hubba!:)

s-l300.jpg

MV5BMGQ0Nzk1YmUtZmFhYS00NGNkLWFhNTgtYmQyMzNkOTdjMzhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTI2MjI5MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anybody know anything about "Once a Thief" (1965) starring the redhead in my previous post along with Alain Delon, Van Heflin and Jack Palance? The HD digital is on sale at iTunes for $4.99 so I'm definitely going to purchase it.

220px-Once_a_Thief_1965.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Anybody know anything about "Once a Thief" (1965) starring the redhead in my previous post along with Alain Delon, Van Heflin and Jack Palance? The HD digital is on sale at iTunes for $4.99 so I'm definitely going to purchase it.

Yes, I saw this when it first came out because I like crime films and I was enthusiastic about the cast. (Every male adolescent and every young man was enthusiastic about Ann-Margret in those days!) It's a pretty good crime story and quite well made but misses true greatness. I have the DVD and watch it every two years or so.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

By the way, there are a bunch of Warner titles on sale at iTunes.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Hell, they have so many titles on sale, I can't keep up with them. They just added some more Warner titles.
I'm sticking with the Republics because I've never seen them. As much as I like the Warners, either I've seen them many times (often in 35mm) or the Archive might release them at some point. The Old Maid played recently in a flawless transfer, so you know it's coming soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sticking with the Republics because I've never seen them. As much as I like the Warners, either I've seen them many times (often in 35mm) or the Archive might release them at some point. The Old Maid played recently in a flawless transfer, so you know it's coming soon.
I already bought the Republics as they've been on sale a couple of times.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Between Black Friday and today I’ve managed to find a whopping 2 titles I had interest in - The Mask of Fu Manchu and Stranger on the Third Floor.

For those starting on in digital collecting though the past month was a great time to get things going, especially if they also took advantage of iTunes cards sales...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning I bought this HD digital for $5.99 on iTunes and watched it immediately which is rare for me. I just want to state publicly that I wasn't a big "Falcon" movie fan growing up. However, after watching "The Falcon Takes Over" (1942), I actually liked this "B" movie very much; so I will watch my "Falcon" DVDs in the near future. The basic film premise of "The Falcon Takes Over" was remade later on "Murder My Sweet" and "Farewell My Lovely". Anyhow, I thought Ward Bond was very good as Moose Malloy except for one small detail, I think it would take more than
one shot to kill him if it wasn't a head shot
Other than that, I really enjoyed this film version of "Farewell My Lovely". I wish "Time to Kill" was released on DVD as that movie came out earlier in 1942, the same year as "The Falcon Takes Over". I've never seen that film which is another movie derived from a Raymond Chandler's book. Also, I need to watch "The Brasher Doubloon" as Eddie Muller loves that film.

MV5BNWJlMTFhOWQtOGUxMi00ZDYxLWFjYmMtOGY3YWE4MjBkZTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzc5ODc1MDY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This morning I bought this HD digital for $5.99 on iTunes and watched it immediately which is rare for me. I just want to state publicly that I wasn't a big "Falcon" movie fan growing up. However, after watching "The Falcon Takes Over" (1942), I actually liked this "B" movie very much; so I will watch my "Falcon" DVDs in the near future. The basic film premise of "The Falcon Takes Over" was remade later on "Murder My Sweet" and "Farewell My Lovely". Anyhow, I thought Ward Bond was very good as Moose Malloy except for one small detail, I think it would take more than
one shot to kill him if it wasn't a head shot
Other than that, I really enjoyed this film version of "Farewell My Lovely". I wish "Time to Kill" was released on DVD as that movie came out earlier in 1942, the same year as "The Falcon Takes Over". I've never seen that film which is another movie derived from a Raymond Chandler's book. Also, I need to watch "The Brasher Doubloon" as Eddie Muller loves that film.

MV5BNWJlMTFhOWQtOGUxMi00ZDYxLWFjYmMtOGY3YWE4MjBkZTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzc5ODc1MDY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
I may have to give the Falcon a try as I’ve never watched one before. As for your spoiler, that’s a rather common movie old movie cliche.
One shot usually kills bad guys (especially Native Americans in Westerns!) but for the good guys even several shots isn’t necessarily fatal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks