What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not a great video presentation on Noir Alley. I loved Eddie's comments about a certain NYT film critic from yesteryear. It's quite funny how Jack Elam and Lee Van Cleef were both accountants before becoming actors known for playing "baddies". With those faces being accountants and a manager of Hotel Bel-Air.:laugh:
Looking forward to watching this at lunchtime.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, Eddie I concur and tomorrow I will definitely watch "Naked Alibl" as I can never get enough of her:

215298_large.jpg

This movie was just okay for me. I thought Gloria was fine and even Gene Barry was really good, but, Hayden kind of mailed it in. It's not a bad movie, but, Gloria doesn't show up in the film until about one third of the way into the movie. I'm going to watch it again with the audio commentary to see if the movie improves for me the second time around. The video presentation was fine with plenty of film grain still intact.:)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kansas City Confidential. A face-slapping, stomach punching good time. I can understand why this story sold on a pitch; it's an intriguing, fast-developing premise. And no better collection of surly characters than Elam, Brand and Van Cleef. Payne also does a great job, and I appreciate that they don't cop out (pun intended) on his ultimate motivations:He really does just want his stake of the money for being set up and probably would have kept the whole score if he could.

The romance and Gray's curious and sudden devotion to Joe are a bit undercooked, but so what, it all pays off nicely (and per Muller's end comments, there obviously was chemistry). And the print was nice, as well; just a few damaged spots. Count me in for a large cut of appreciation for this story and production. And yes, it's ripe for a remake. But only for those who don't appreciate black and white perfection the first time around.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I expect you to enjoy this film. IMO, it's the three supporting baddie actors that really make this film. Also, I have a soft spot for Phil Karlson as a director. Very underrated in my opinion.
I really loved it. It kept the twists and surprises up almost to the end, and I really think it's been underrated. Great work from all of those snarling male actors, and Payne has never been better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree Eddie, a homeboy that made good. I can still remember those stories my great uncle would tell me in my youth about knowing Mitchum as a kid before he left Bridgeport CT.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just bought the HD digital for "The Bad and the Beautiful" on iTunes. With my luck, watch it be released by Warner Archive on Blu-ray in the coming months.:) Anyhow, my next movie viewing will be "Green for Danger" (1949) on The Criterion Channel. It's a film I never seen beforehand, but highly recommended by other HTF members and highly rated by film critics. It's coming out in the UK on Blu-ray disc so I want to watch it before doing a blind buy.

green-for-danger-movie-poster.jpg
TCM is showing "Green for Danger" today and the video presentation looks very good. My UK Blu-ray shipped last week so I hop to have it in the coming week or so.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the 2002 DVD there is a bonus segment in which a much younger Eddie conducted an interview with Colleen Gray. Eddie wrote some of his Dark City books before this interview as they made it clear this wasn't their first interview together. Ever since I first saw her in "Red River" I had a crush on her. She confided to Eddie she wanted to play the "bad" girl just once.

After watching this Blu-ray, I'm going to keep that 2002 DVD for that bonus segment as the DVD video presentation was awful. The 2007 DVD from MGM thru Fox has a much better video presentation. The 2016 Film Detective Blu-ray was better than I thought it would be, but, with some missing film grain. I'm not as sensitive to this as others, however, it was noticeable to me.
Eddie gives a Thanksgiving shout out to his "Dark City Dames" including Colleen Gray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
IMO, an underrated movie "The Mask of Dimitrios" (1944). Next on "Noir Alley".
One of m

77086465_1172406559616216_7698662443525865472_o.jpg
One of my ten "desert island" movies. I'm not sure it's underrated; more that it's unrecognised. I think most people who get around to watching it agree it's a really good movie

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of my ten "desert island" movies. I'm not sure it's underrated; more that it's unrecognised. I think most people who get around to watching it agree it's a really good movie
It's underrated because of the lack of recognition from the general public.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are many people in agreement with Eddie about "Boomarang" (1947) not being a film noir. I can see both arguments. A personal story that I want to share about the real events portrayed in the film. The real murder and legal proceedings took place in my hometown back in the early 1920's. When I was in high school in the early 1970's, I asked my maternal grandfather about this film and the actual events. He didn't remember much about it as he was away at college during that time. My maternal grandmother and paternal grandparents weren't living in Connecticut at that time so I couldn't ask them. I can't remember if I asked my grandfather's siblings about it. I do know that when this movie was filmed, my hometown of Bridgeport, CT refused to have the movie filmed there so they filmed it in Stamford, CT instead which is a smaller city about half way between Bridgeport and NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks