What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm currently in the middle of watching Ken Burn's latest documentary "Country Music". I'm not a fan of that music genre, but I'm a fan of music in general so I'm finding it very interesting seeing how different genres of American music are intertwined during their development as a music brand. It's streams for free in HD on the PBS app. on iTunes.

0841887041546_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I just finished watching episode 2 of Country Music on my dvr and enjoying the history of The Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, Gene Autry and the radio stations like the WLS Barn Dance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Talk about a mediocre movie, "September Storm" (1960) is that and probably worse, if I thought about it more than I really want to at the moment. The 3-D presentation was excellent on my 65" OLED, but the movie still kind of stinks in my opinion. The only saving grace besides the video presentation is Joanne Dru.:) No doubt, she was a little too long in the tooth to be playing a model, but she still looked good in a swimsuit and she was one of my boyhood crushes from Red River and those John Ford movies.

MV5BZTdmZjc1NDQtMTg4MC00MzljLWE1OWMtYjE0N2IxN2JmYTgwL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM0NzcxMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My September-December, 2019 "3-D" Challenge in which I watch at least one 3-D movie a week has the following movies viewed as of September 19th:

• Beowulf (2007)
  • Hansel & Gretel (2013)
  • Jivaro (1954)
  • September Storm (1960)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Talk about a mediocre movie, "September Storm" (1960) is that and probably worse, if I thought about it more than I really want to at the moment. The 3-D presentation was excellent on my 65" OLED, but the movie still kind of stinks in my opinion. The only saving grace besides the video presentation is Joanne Dru.:) No doubt, she was a little too long in the tooth to be playing a model, but she still looked good in a swimsuit and she was one of my boyhood crushes from Red River and those John Ford movies.

MV5BZTdmZjc1NDQtMTg4MC00MzljLWE1OWMtYjE0N2IxN2JmYTgwL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM0NzcxMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
You've got to lower the bar when it comes to vintage 3D movies :). I get a kick out of these (I particularly enjoyed Jivaro) but of course I don't consider them to be masterpieces or anything.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You've got to lower the bar when it comes to vintage 3D movies :). I get a kick out of these (I particularly enjoyed Jivaro) but of course I don't consider them to be masterpieces or anything.
Yeah, I guess as most of them are not good movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This weekend's Noir Alley showing is "The Woman on the Beach" (1947) starring Robert Ryan, Joan Bennett and Charles Bickford. Even with Jean Renoir directing, this isn't consider a good film so it should be interesting to read people's comments about it as well as Eddie's thoughts on the movie.

TCM's Noir Alley Revised 2019 schedule.

03-09-19: D.O.A. (1950)
03-16-19: High Sierra (1941)
03-23-19: Lady in the Lake (1946)
03-30-19: Border Incident (1949)
04-06-19: 99 River Street (1953)
04-13-19: Nobody Lives Forever (1946)
04-20-19: M (1951)
04-27-19: Woman on the Run (1950)
05-04-19: Nightmare Alley (1947)
05-11-19: White Heat (1949)
05-18-19: Key Largo (1948)
05-25-19: Dead Reckoning (1947)
06-01-19: The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
06-08-19: Nora Prentiss (1947)
06-15-19: Pickup on South Street (1953)
06-22-19: Shadow on the Wall (1950)
06-29-19: On Dangerous Ground (1951)
07-06-19: The Tattooed Stranger (1950)
07-13-19: The People Against O'Hara (1951)
07-20-19: While the City Sleeps (1956)
07-27-19: Thieves' Highway (1949)
09-07-19: The Big Clock (1948)
09-14-19: Nocturne (1946)
09-21-19: The Woman on the Beach (1947)
09-28-19: The Harder They Fall (1956)
10-05-19: Trapped (1949) replaces The Bribe (1949)
10-12-19: Clash By Night (1952)
10-19-19: This Gun For Hire (1942)
10-26-19: Force of Evil (1948) replaces A Woman's Secret (1949)
11-02-19: Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
11-09-19: Johnny Eager (1941)
11-16-19: The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
11-23-19: Kansas City Confidential (1952)
11-30-19: The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)
12-07-19: Berlin Express (1948)
12-14-19: Criss Cross (1949)
12-21-19: Cash on Demand (1961) replaces I Died a Thousand Times (1955)
12-28-19: Repeat Performance (1947)
01-04-20: The Big Sleep (1946)
01-11-20: The Captive City (1952)
01-18-20: The Big Night (1951)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert,

I am curious about your opinion regarding the film Crime of Passion, starring your favorite Barbara Stanwyck. My wife and I just watched it for the first time this evening -- I picked up the BD during Twilight Time's recent sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,

I am curious about your opinion regarding the film Crime of Passion, starring your favorite Barbara Stanwyck. My wife and I just watched it for the first time this evening -- I picked up the BD during Twilight Time's recent sale.
I like the movie, but it's not among my favorite Stanwyck films. I think she was about ten years too old for that particular role. I think that was Burr's last movie role before playing Perry Mason. Of course, he was a smarmy character again. Which reminds me, my last viewing of this movie was a Noir Alley showing so I need to finally watch that Kino Blu-ray. Anyhow, what did you think of the movie and especially the ending?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The_Ox-Bow_Incident_poster.jpg

One of the greatest movies ever made in my opinion. I decided to finally listen to the audio commentary on this Kino BD release. The audio commentary wasn't that great to me as the Western Scholar Dick Eulain didn't talk much about this wonderful cast of actors and spent most of his time discussing the differences between the book and movie. William Wellman Jr. had some interesting stories, but, overall I was kind of disappointed in the entire commentary. As to the movie itself, it rates a perfect 5.0 in my ratings system. It's not only a great western, but a great film to boot. In only 75 minutes this movie displays film-making at its best and on a small budget. I thought the video and audio presentations were top notch considering the history of Fox film elements from that film era.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I like the movie, but it's not among my favorite Stanwyck films. I think she was about ten years too old for that particular role. I think that was Burr's last movie role before playing Perry Mason. Of course, he was a smarmy character again. Which reminds me, my last viewing of this movie was a Noir Alley showing so I need to finally watch that Kino Blu-ray. Anyhow, what did you think of the movie and especially the ending?
I was rather disappointed in the film, to be honest. I was expecting better, especially with that stellar cast. It was mostly the actual storyline that disappointed me. I didn't buy Stanwyck dumping her career to marry Hayden almost immediately after meeting him, and her decent from happy housewife to
adultress and killer
wasn't that believable the way it was presented in the film, either. I think a better written screenplay would have served the talented cast better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was rather disappointed in the film, to be honest. I was expecting better, especially with that stellar cast. It was mostly the actual storyline that disappointed me. I didn't buy Stanwyck dumping her career to marry Hayden almost immediately after meeting him, and her decent from happy housewife to
adultress and killer
wasn't that believable the way it was presented in the film, either. I think a better written screenplay would have served the talented cast better.
You've made valid points. I like the movie for the cast of actors, but, I agree it's not that great of a movie and should have been much better. That's the reason why it's not among my Stanwyck favorites. It's hard to believe that the writer of the film is the same person that wrote the screenplays for Gilda and Night and the City.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll probably watch my DVD of this in the afternoon. Not a good movie in my opinion, but I haven't watched my DVD so I'll do so before the Noir Alley's showing. It will be interesting to hear Eddie's opinion of this movie.

71546896_1115858958604310_6906698030653636608_n.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The_Ox-Bow_Incident_poster.jpg

One of the greatest movies ever made in my opinion. I decided to finally listen to the audio commentary on this Kino BD release. The audio commentary wasn't that great to me as the Western Scholar Dick Eulain didn't talk much about this wonderful cast of actors and spent most of his time discussing the differences between the book and movie. William Wellman Jr. had some interesting stories, but, overall I was kind of disappointed in the entire commentary. As to the movie itself, it rates a perfect 5.0 in my ratings system. It's not only a great western, but a great film to boot. In only 75 minutes this movie displays film-making at its best and on a small budget. I thought the video and audio presentations were top notch considering the history of Fox film elements from that film era.

You turned me on to this film. I bought it blindly and really loved it.

I have a movie question for you. Still working on getting through my email. I'll be back...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 7.04.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 7.05.09 AM.png

Okay, I'm back.

Just been wondering about something for the past few days now.

Those guys in the photos.

So, I saw "The Lady Vanishes" last month on The Criterion Channel. Really enjoyed it, though I don't consider myself to be a huge Hitchcock fan.

I particularly liked the two characters (above) we meet on the train.

About two weeks ago I finally sit down and watch "Night Train To Munich" which I thought was excellent.

Someone thought it would be a good idea to bring those actors into the film, essentially playing the same characters from the Hitchcock film in roles meant for comedy relief.

So, what was the fascination with doing that?

I realize these were popular characters and that might simply be the reason why.

I am interested, however, if there is some kind of relationship between the directors, writers, producers of both films that enticed someone to recast these actors into a movie that is totally unrelated from the other.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Okay, I'm back.

Just been wondering about something for the past few days now.

Those guys in the photos.

So, I saw "The Lady Vanishes" last month on The Criterion Channel. Really enjoyed it, though I don't consider myself to be a huge Hitchcock fan.

I particularly liked the two characters (above) we meet on the train.

About two weeks ago I finally sit down and watch "Night Train To Munich" which I thought was excellent.

Someone thought it would be a good idea to bring those actors into the film, essentially playing the same characters from the Hitchcock film in roles meant for comedy relief.

So, what was the fascination with doing that?

I realize these were popular characters and that might simply be the reason why.

I am interested, however, if there is some kind of relationship between the directors, writers, producers of both films that enticed someone to recast these actors into a movie that is totally unrelated from the other.
Yeah, I was talking about those two comedic actors about a month ago in this post. Apparently, they were very popular in the UK which is why they were cast in these movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks