What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
v1.bTsxMTIxMTQ0NjtqOzE4MjE5OzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

It's a great film with fine acting performances and some wonderful written dialogue. However, the thing that always bother me about this film is that the three wives were just too good-looking to be worried about their husbands leaving them.

There's an old saying with more that a slight ring of truth. "Show me a gorgeous, desirable woman and I will show you a man who's tired of sleeping with her." ** NO ONE is ever completely safe! ;)

** (and I cleaned that saying up!)

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There's an old saying with more that a slight ring of truth. "Show me a gorgeous, desirable woman and I will show you a man who's tired of sleeping with her." ** NO ONE is ever completely safe! ;)

** (and I cleaned that saying up!)
That quote describes what is probably the funniest aspect to the film A Guide For The Married Man
(Matthau/Inger Stevens)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I don't think "Nocturne" was that bad and it got me in the mood to revisit another Raft movie "Johnny Angel" (1945) which also has a Crawdaddy's favorite actress in Claire Trevor along with Signe Hasso.

225px-JohnnyAngelPoster.jpg

I have to admit every time I think of that film title, I also think of this:

A boyhood crush on both, mother and daughter in that past TV series.:) Can anybody name that young actor standing next to Donna Reed? Hint, a connection to a certain Quentin Tarantino film.

Not sure about the connection to QT. (I have yet to see his latest film, so perhaps I am missing a connection to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.) But I'll answer your question this way...

This actor co-starred in a 'beach' film with the pre-eminent sex symbol of the 1960s.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Can't speak for David, but it sounds sort of like the kind of thing Robert Morse's character would have said to Walter Matthau's character.

In the film A Guide for the Married Man Matthau stars as a man who despite being married to the gorgeous Inger Stevens develops a wandering eye. Robert Morse is Matthau's friend and coaches him on the techniques of having an affair, illustrated in a series of vignettes featuring a very large supporting cast of recognizable actors/actresses. It is a very amusing '60s farce.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not sure about the connection to QT. (I have yet to see his latest film, so perhaps I am missing a connection to Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.) But I'll answer your question this way...

This actor co-starred in a 'beach' film with the pre-eminent sex symbol of the 1960s.

- Walter.
The actor standing next to Donna Reed was portrayed in QT's latest film so you wouldn't get the connection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can't speak for David, but it sounds sort of like the kind of thing Robert Morse's character would have said to Walter Matthau's character.

In the film A Guide for the Married Man Matthau stars as a man who despite being married to the gorgeous Inger Stevens develops a wandering eye. Robert Morse is Matthau's friend and coaches him on the techniques of having an affair, illustrated in a series of vignettes featuring a very large supporting cast of recognizable actors/actresses. It is a very amusing '60s farce.

- Walter.
Right, a funny film I haven't watched in many years.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
"Man on a String" (1960) starring Ernest Borgnine in a spy thriller involving Soviet vs. American agents with Borgnine playing a double agent. First time viewing for me on a pretty good spy thriller that was filmed in multiple countries. A really good performance by Borgnine. I've had this recorded on a DVD-R for a number of years, but never got around to watching it. Yesterday, I received the Noir Archive 9-Film Collection Volume 3 which this film title is a part of. A good looking video presentation in 1080p with subtitles.

51RTNA0vRUL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have to admit that my noir education has always been sorely lacking but I am addicted to Eddie Mueller's show. It's a great chance to have some really great things I've missed curated for me. His stories are stellar and his love of the genre is palpable. I had seen NOCTURNE years and years ago but was surprised the other day at how much I really liked it (Lynn Bari never really got her due in my opinion.) I am shocked and dismayed that I've lived this long without having previously seen THE BIG CLOCK. Wow! As soon as it was over I immediately wanted to tell everybody about but then realized I was perhaps one of the last to have seen it!
I couldn't agree more about Eddie Muller's Noir Alley. It has introduced me to SO many films I've either never seen or never really appreciated. Glad to see it booked for the rest of the year and on into 2020.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I couldn't agree more about Eddie Muller's Noir Alley. It has introduced me to SO many films I've either never seen or never really appreciated. Glad to see it booked for the rest of the year and on into 2020.
By the way, Muller has extensive film knowledge beyond just noir films as indicated by his audio commentaries on disc and Noir Alley.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This afternoon, I ended up streaming the fourth episode of Ken Burns documentary on Country Music. The episode covered the few Country stars that I actually like such as Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline along with some early rockers like Elvis and the Everly Brothers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching a couple of Joseph Mankiewicz films recently and this beauty talk about Gene Tierney, I was finally in the mood to watch "Dragonwyck" (1946) for the very first time. Over the years, I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never in its entirety. I don't know why I never felt the need to watch it beforehand as I did have the 2008 DVD and now the 2018 Blu-ray. Anyway, the movie is a solid 3.5 for me and thought the A/V presentations were very good with 4.5 grades for both. The video presentation was criticized by some for having blown out whites in review threads, but I thought it looked wonderful on my 55" OLED. I haven't dealt with the bonus material yet, but might do so at my next BD viewing, particularly, the audio commentary. I might take a look at the A&E Biography segments on Tierney and Price. Back to the movie, Spring Byington was really good in this film, unlike, her usual sweet movie roles.

One more thing, some people might not like Tierney's overbite, but IMO, she was one beautiful woman. This B&W film really highlights her beauty. The film poster is horrible, I don't know why I chose it.:) I like the one below it, better as the woman in the first poster doesn't even look like Tierney.

14748_1_front.jpg

zulss89dr21b1b.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've got LOTR: The Return of the King coming up this week and the Extended Version checks in at 263 minutes after credits. This will be the longest movie I've ever watched in a movie theater. It surpasses LOA and GWTW for me and both of them had intermissions while The Return of the King has no intermission.
Next up today is this long-ass movie at 263 minutes.;) Do I buy some popcorn and soda for it? Does my bladder explode? It surely would, if I buy and eat those concessions.:) I think I'll enjoy the movie more if I do eat some treats and just take a bathroom break during a slow sequence in the movie. I can always pull out the Extended Version Blu-ray to see if what I missed was really important.

Lord_of_the_Rings_-_The_Return_of_the_King.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Next up today is this long-ass movie at 263 minutes.;) Do I buy some popcorn and soda for it? Does my bladder explode? It surely would, if I buy and eat those concessions.:) I think I'll enjoy the movie more if I do eat some treats and just take a bathroom break during a slow sequence in the movie. I can always pull out the Extended Version Blu-ray to see if what I missed was really important.

Lord_of_the_Rings_-_The_Return_of_the_King.jpg
Well, I had a big tub of popcorn along with the largest soda size available and was able to watch the entire movie without a bathroom break and even made my less than 10 minutes drive home before finally relieving myself. Hell, I was the only one that stayed for the credits as the rest of the audience busted for the bathrooms.:) There were several that took bathroom breaks during the course of the 263 minutes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eddie Muller talking about "Quicksand" (1950) starring Mickey Rooney and Jeanne Cagney. I've never watched this movie so I need to rectify that shortcoming real soon.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I had a big tub of popcorn along with the largest soda size available and was able to watch the entire movie without a bathroom break and even made my less than 10 minutes drive home before finally relieving myself. Hell, I was the only one that stayed for the credits as the rest of the audience busted for the bathrooms.:) There were several that took bathroom breaks during the course of the 263 minutes.

That was taking quite a chance with Michigan's roads. One pothole and you could have had quite a mess! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks