What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like There's Always Tomorrow a lot. I have it on a very good DVD but it'll probably come out on Blu-ray disc at some stage. Fred MacMurray, as always, is superb, this time playing a business man who is taken for granted by his rather self-absorbed family.
One of Sirk's best films. Unfortunately, the DVD I have is flat Academy ratio; the film is 1.85 and TCM shows it that way. The leads and Joan Bennett are outstanding.
I have both DVD releases, the 04-27-10 MOC DVD and the one in the 2-22-10 Barbara Stanwyck Collection. I'll be watching the former before the week's out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On Wednesday, the extended version of "LOTR: The Two Towers" at my local cinema in a GDX/Dolby Atmos theater.

Lord_of_the_Rings_-_The_Two_Towers.jpg
I forgot how much I enjoyed "TLOR: The Two Towers" and think it's the best film of the trilogy. I sat there for about four hours without eating any concessions nor drinking any liquids as I didn't want to miss a minute of action for a bathroom break like almost everyone else in today's audience.;) IMO, a great film!

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I never indulge in liquids before a movie. I trained since childhood to hold everything in until after the movie ended (or intermission time). I even sit through the credits, though once I had to bolt during them, and I remember that sometimes I can barely walk to the rest room due to the pain from holding it in. Oh the sacrifices we make for movies!
BTW, I'm much older than you, and you know what that means...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Big Clock. Rarely have I seen a more tightly wound... story. No wonder it was ripe for a remake, but No Way as good. Is there a more perfect example of the rich, powerful, banality of evil as Laughton as Januth? There's no way for a moment he expects any consequences for his capital crime. The complexity of this story and interlocking characters to make it logically work and run smoothly is beyond precision. I've never been a huge Ray Milland fan (except for X, pluck them out), but he delivers without overplaying the moments that his expressions could give everything away. And I loved the comment by Muller that this was a Cary Grant performance without Cary Grant. So aptly true. Plus, you had Lois Lane running the elevator at a huge newspaper organization (almost as big as a planet) before she so deservedly becomes a cub reporter. A good time was had by all.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Doubts about watching a John Ford Western? Even his weaker ones are worth a watch, and this is not one of the weaker ones.

No, just a matter of not needing to find new material to watch with so much in the backlog. Believe me, there are plenty of untapped classic films that I should try to watch, but my viewing of films is fairly infrequent these days. Just how it is.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never indulge in liquids before a movie. I trained since childhood to hold everything in until after the movie ended (or intermission time). I even sit through the credits, though once I had to bolt during them, and I remember that sometimes I can barely walk to the rest room due to the pain from holding it in. Oh the sacrifices we make for movies!
I have to be honest, by not eating or drinking during the movie, I was more engrossed in the movie without any urge for the bathroom. I might do this for other movies including ones that don't last 236 minutes.:)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
On Tuesday I watched the following at my local cinema in a Dolby Atmos theater. It was on par with chapter one, but too long at about 170 minutes. It could easily have 20 minutes trimmed without affecting the quality of the film. I did laugh quite a bit during the entire movie. Maybe, jumped a couple of times.:blush:

IT-Chapter-2-Teaser-Poster.jpg

It’s a 170 minutes?! :eek:

I’ve got a friend trying to convince me to see it but that gives me pause. I’ll probably see it anyway.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's one of the reasons I rarely go to the movie theater anymore and wait for the film to come out on home video -- the pause button. ;) I recently attended the Fathom Event showing of Lawrence of Arabia, and even without having any drinks before or during the film I was a little uncomfortable waiting for the intermission. I could never make it through any of the Lord of the Rings films without a restroom break.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's one of the reasons I rarely go to the movie theater anymore and wait for the film to come out on home video -- the pause button. ;) I recently attended the Fathom Event showing of Lawrence of Arabia, and even without having any drinks before or during the film I was a little uncomfortable waiting for the intermission. I could never make it through any of the Lord of the Rings films without a restroom break.
It's amazing that I made it through the first LOTR movie that was extended edition because I had their largest popcorn bucket and drink.:) I was very uncomfortable by the time the end credits cease so I didn't have anything yesterday and was able to drive home before relieving myself.:)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is the name I see thrown around when discussing the replicators for WAC discs

From the titles listed, Ragtime would be a definite purchase.

I hope a lot more titles get announced.
I'm not surprise that it's coming out on Blu-ray, since, earlier in the year I bought the HD digital from iTunes for $4.99:)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm not surprise that it's coming out on Blu-ray, since, earlier in the year I bought the HD digital from iTunes for $4.99:)
Is it, though? I know I saw this mentioned on the other forum, and they were discussing how the only film mentioned as coming on Blu-ray in that article was Barberella. After all, the article does start out saying they got the DVD/Blu-ray titles, so how do we know that, outside of Barbarella, any of these are getting a Blu-ray release and not just a DVD-only re-release (at least, right away)?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is it, though? I know I saw this mentioned on the other forum, and they were discussing how the only film mentioned as coming on Blu-ray in that article was Barberella. After all, the article does start out saying they got the DVD/Blu-ray titles, so how do we know that, outside of Barbarella, any of these are getting a Blu-ray release and not just a DVD-only re-release (at least, right away)?
Perhaps, but I try to hope for the best in these matters.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Paramount Opens Movie Vault to Allied Vaughn. That's interesting, anybody have any information on Allied Vaughn?

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/paramount-opens-movie-vault-to-allied-vaughn/
Allied Vaughn is probably the biggest Manufacture-On-Demand distributor. In addition to burn-on-demand they also do short run disc pressings as used by the Warner Archive. Here's my feeling about Paramount. For several years now, they given us the clear indication that they were done with physical media for catalog content. Now that they've successfully weaned me off of Blu-ray by opening the floodgates with digital content, I'm not about to jump for that carrot of physical media and re-buy anything I've already bought from them digitally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks