1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

The one thing I've always been curious about with Warner Archive is what determines if WA releases a movie or Criterion?

I mean look at say The Asphalt Jungle and Out of the Past. What is the rhyme or reason there?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well that film was interesting and one I will visit again. Overall, I really enjoyed the film, but to me the weakest part of the movie was the Radford and Wayne segment. I didn't dislike that segment, but thought it was weakest of the segments for me.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Me, too.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I watched "Gaslight" on Blu-ray and I have to say I was very impressed by this Warner Archive release's PQ. Am I the only one that always wants to punch Charles Boyer in the face when watching this film?:) I need to revisit the 1940 version again which I'll try to do in the near future as I'm on a British film kick right now.

6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    You'll want to punch Anton Walbrook in the face, too! And no, you're not the only one. These guys are despicable and yet when they're caught, have no shame at all. Sociopaths!

Robert Crawford likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Talk about sociopaths, you need to watch "Gunman's Walk" (1958) with Van Heflin, Tab Hunter and James Darren. Hunter gives perhaps his best acting performance in this film as Heflin's son, who happens to be a sociopath while Darren plays the good son. I have a feeling this movie will be coming out on BD in Region A. About a month ago, it showed up on iTunes for $12.99. The German BD played on my Oppo 203 without me having to change the Region to watch it. Overall, I'm satisfied with the audio and video presentations. I always thought this was a good western with a few themes that work well for this film.

[​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    As some of you know, I'm not a big musical fan, but I'm going to breakdown and watch this Blu-ray this week as I am a fan of this particular musical along with Cagney and Blondell being among my favorite all-time actors.

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I still have it on my DVR and have been meaning to watch it for weeks and life keeps interfering. And I recorded a BUNCH of stuff on the DVR during the night that I'll want to get to today, too. Ah, the hazards and difficulties of retirement! :D

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    This morning I watched the Blu-ray of "Midnight Lace" (1960) starring Doris Day, Rex Harrison, John Gavin, Myrna Loy and Roddy McDowall. IMO, the video presentation was mediocre, but is an improvement over the TCM (2014) DVD. As for the movie itself, it's an okay thriller, but I have to admit that Doris Day's character got on my nerves by the end of the movie. Even though I've seen this movie a couple times beforehand, I think watching this movie today and "Gaslight" within a couple of days of each other kind of push my limit on unhinged rich and beautiful women.:) Anyhow, I'm glad I watch it again as it was relatively entertaining despite a few plot holes. I've always enjoyed the couple of McGuffin's in this film.

upload_2019-8-19_14-14-39.

11. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Don't forget the huge closeup of one of your favorites, John Garfield, in his very first screen appearance.

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I did manage to get to Gunman's Walk this afternoon. Yes, this role was unlike any other one I had ever seen Tab Hunter perform, and he was very good. I could have done without the overlong song he drunkenly sings (and sings) after his trial, but he was pretty rotten to the core encouraged by a doting father who encourages him to sew some wild oats. The oats were kind of poisonous.

Will Krupp and Robert Crawford like this.
  13. Message #2173 of 2435 Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    [​IMG]

This afternoon's viewing was "Moonfleet" (1955) starring Stewart Granger, George Sanders, Joan Greenwood and Viveca Lindfors. A gothic swashbuckler CinemaScope film in color directed by Fritz Lang. This was a blind buy for me as Warner Archive did a wonderful job presentation-wise. For me, the film had its moments, but it's not a great film by any means. I enjoyed Granger's performance as a scoundrel that found something to love more than himself.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    One of my Tuesday's viewings was Arabesque (1966) starring Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren on Blu-ray disc. An okay spy thriller that had its good moments because of the two stars. Some fun dialogue between the two of them as Ms. Loren never looked more beautiful.

[​IMG]

15. Message #2175 of 2435 Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    My second viewing on the TCM app was "Beau Geste" (1939) starring Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, Robert Preston and Brian Donlevy. This excellent film needs to be on Blu-ray with a better video presentation than what TCM showed us. Donlevy was excellent as Sergeant Markoff. A truly great film villain as Donlevy chewed up his dialogue. I've seen this film a number of times in my lifetime and my favorite scene is Digby telling John
    about giving Beau a Viking funeral with a dog/Markoff at his feet.

upload_2019-8-21_5-7-36.

Has anybody seen the 1926 silent film version starring Ronald Colman as Beau Geste? It's reportedly a superior film to the 1939 film version, but I want to judge for myself.

[​IMG]

16. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Well, the good news is that Kino is planning to release the ‘39 version in early 2020.

17. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I have seen the silent version of Beau Geste. MoMA showed a 35mm print during the Paramount retrospective in 1972; then it vanished from view AFAIK. It is an excellent film with a very good cast and director. How does it compare to the '39 version? The sound version, directed by the great Bill Wellman, is basically a shot-by-shot remake adding sound. At least it doesn't debase the source nor memories of the original. I wouldn't do without either one. Will anyone release the silent version?

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Probably not, but I would really like an opportunity to watch it.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    [​IMG]

My Wednesday Blu-ray viewing was "Man Without a Star" (1955) starring Kirk Douglas, Jeanne Crain, Claire Trevor, William Campbell and Richard Boone. Another western that was a favorite of mine from my childhood as I always enjoyed the relationship between a seasoned cowboy/Douglas and a tenderfoot/Campbell. IMO, it's not a great western like "The Searchers", but it's an entertaining one with a sense of humor that runs throughout the length of the film. The German Blu-ray's video presentation was fine, but today I hope to have the Kino BD release scheduled for release on August 27th. I will watch the Kino BD immediately to compare the two discs in order to listen to the audio commentary. By ordering from Kino during their recent saie, my BD shipped early to me. I hope it arrives today, but it's been sitting at my local UPS since Tuesday night so I expect the delivery delay was due to UPS transferring delivery over to the USPS.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Perhaps, it's just me, but I don't get all these forum complaints about cover art for upcoming releases for "The Wizard of Oz" and "Sleeping Beauty". I kind of chuckle when I read comments like hideous or ugly on the HTF. It's not like you're looking at the cover art for more than a few moments. I just don't get it! I refrain from commenting about most of such remarks because I really don't like raining on somebody's sensibilities when it's obviously important to them.

TravisR likes this.