What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (4 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Over the past several days, I've watched the Blu-rays of "The Thin Man" and "The Leopard Man". Both movies look outstanding as I am very happy with both BD releases.

I watched some stuff on the TCM app. too. I watched the documentary "Ava Gardner, the Gipsy of Hollywood" (2017). Not a terrible documentary, but it did illustrated the complicated and unhappy life of a beautiful woman. Another example of the Hollywood system along with alcoholism and smoking destroying another person.

Also, I watched two movies I haven't seen in their entirety for many years. "Marlowe" (1969) starring James Garner. I must say I didn't care for it as much as I did beforehand. I know part of my prior affinity for the film was due to my crush on Gayle Hunnicutt. After watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" it was somewhat funny watching Bruce Lee in a small part in this film. The Marlowe office scene always cracks me up.

The other movie was "Seven Cities of Gold" (1955) that I had prior fond memories of, but not so much this time. Both of these films featured Rita Moreno. Man, she was something. She's another actress that should have had a bigger career, but was born at the wrong time. Anyhow, back to "Seven Cities of Gold", it was a bit more tedious than I remember, but generally the movie was okay, but not as exciting as I remember it. A good cast of actors. The TCM stream was pretty damn good and I was pleasantly surprise by its PQ. Another CinemaScope film that deserves to be on disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got done watching the Shout! Factory BD release of "Law and Order" (1953) starring Ronald Reagan, Dorthy Malone, Preston Foster, Alex Nicol, Russell Johnson and a bunch of other familiar character actors like Dennis Weaver, Barry Kelley and Chubby Johnson. I don't have much memory of this western so I do wonder if I ever watched it beforehand from beginning to end? The film definitely borrowed some plot points from the Earp brothers. Anyhow, it was entertaining, but far from being one of the best westerns from that pivotal decade regarding western films in general. A good video presentation. It has a film commentary, but I'm not in the mood to watch this 80 minute film again. Perhaps, next time.

p38330_p_v8_aa.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anybody have any thoughts on this Mike Clark review of "The Wild Heart"? Looks like I need to schedule a day just to watch this Blu-ray with its different film versions and audio commentaries. I've never seen this movie in any version so this should be interesting for me. I do agree with Clark that I think Selznick hurt Jennifer Jones acting career to a certain degree.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/the-wild-heart-gone-to-earth-review/

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Anybody have any thoughts on this Mike Clark review of "The Wild Heart"? Looks like I need to schedule a day just to watch this Blu-ray with its different film versions and audio commentaries. I've never seen this movie in any version so this should be interesting for me. I do agree with Clark that I think Selznick hurt Jennifer Jones acting career to a certain degree.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/the-wild-heart-gone-to-earth-review/
I ordered this Kino BD but don't have it yet. I did see both versions in nitrate 35mm Technicolor prints, and they were astonishing. Needless to say, the Selznick version is a complete waste of time. Stick to the Archers' original version.
Selznick did the same thing with De Sica's very good Stazione Termini, recut as the mediocre Indiscretion of an American Wife.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm currently watching "The Wizard of Oz" on iTunes in 4K/Dolby Vision. On a hunch and reports it's showing in 4K/Dolby Vision, I bought the HD Digital for $7.99 this morning. After purchasing it, the HD digital changed to 4K/Dolby Vision. This kind of confirms it's coming out on 4K/Dolby Vision disc, but now I can wait until it's at my price point for purchase. Hopefully, this holiday season.

Also, "Criss Cross" (1949) just came out on BD from Shout! Factory has iTunes selling the HD Digital for $4.99

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm currently watching "The Wizard of Oz" on iTunes in 4K/Dolby Vision. On a hunch and reports it's showing in 4K/Dolby Vision, I bought the HD Digital for $7.99 this morning. After purchasing it, the HD digital changed to 4K/Dolby Vision. This kind of confirms it's coming out on 4K/Dolby Vision disc, but now I can wait until it's at my price point for purchase. Hopefully, this holiday season.

Also, "Criss Cross" (1949) just came out on BD from Shout! Factory has iTunes selling the HD Digital for $4.99
I was in tears watching "The Wizard of Oz" in 4K/Dolby Vision this morning. Just a beautiful looking film and one of my all-time favorite films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I watched a couple of westerns on Blu-ray disc. One was mediocre, but entertaining while the other is considered a very good western, but man, it's kind of depressing. First up was "The Guns of Fort Petticoat" (1957) starring Audie Murphy. A typical 1950s era western that Murphy made throughout that decade. Not a bad film, but it isn't what I consider a good film either. It's just okay.

The second film was "Day of the Outlaw" (1959) starring Robert Ryan, Burl Ives and Tina Louise. Now, this is a really good western film, but it's a downbeat type of film that is kind of depressing to me. I always have to be in a certain mood to watch it, but it's getting a Region "A" Blu-ray release in less than two weeks so I decided to finally watch my MOC Region "B" Blu-ray in its entirety. The film is about a gang of outlaws that keep a small town hostage during the middle of winter in Wyoming as they try to evade the Army after stealing $40,000 in Gold. An excellent cast with some authentic western settings and good dialogue. I'm going to try to watch this film again when I get the new Blu-ray as I want to listen to Jeremy Arnold's audio commentary about the film. Again, I hope I'm in the right state of mind to do so.:) Perhaps, thinking of Tina Louise in 1959, will keep me in such a frame of mind.:blush:

BBLYPwq.img

Hubba, Hubba!;)

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I was in tears watching "The Wizard of Oz" in 4K/Dolby Vision this morning. Just a beautiful looking film and one of my all-time favorite films.

After seeing it listed, I bought the 4K Wizard of Oz the other day. Tonight it's only in HD - no 4K. Any idea what't going on?

Chris

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After seeing it listed, I bought the 4K Wizard of Oz the other day. Tonight it's only in HD - no 4K. Any idea what't going on?

Chris
We're talking about it in this thread and also this one. IMO, in October when the 4K disc is released, it will revert back to 4K as somebody at iTunes obviously jumped the gun by making the 4K/DV file available for viewing too early and Warner complained about it. Also, you can go to your history on iTunes and ask for a refund due to this snafu. I'm going to stick it out as I'm going to buy the 4K disc anyway.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Also, you can go to your history on iTunes and ask for a refund due to this snafu. I'm going to stick it out as I'm going to buy the 4K disc anyway.

Alright, stupid question here (I'm good at those) - if you're going to get a 4K copy when you get the disc, why not get your money back now?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Alright, stupid question here (I'm good at those) - if you're going to get a 4K copy when you get the disc, why not get your money back now?
Because I'm not going to buy the 4K disc in October or if I don't like the pricing even during this year's holiday season. It may be a year from now or down the road, I might simply change my mind and don't buy it at all.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching "Night Train to Munich" and "The Lady Vanishes" this week on Blu-ray, I'm in the mood for some more Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne along with Michael Redgrave so "Dead of Night" is up for my morning Blu-ray viewing.

5056472.jpg

lf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks