1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    So I guess not all the noir allies get put on the Watch TCM app? I was looking forward to watching Thieves' Highway. I guess it's film by film based on what TCM has the licensing for. I'm beginning to understand why you guys just program the DVR to record every week!

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I had a feeling this title wasn't going to make it onto the TCM app.

3. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I guess I'm out of luck until the next time TCM airs it. I don't want to pay 15 pounds for the UK Blu-ray from Arrow. There's also a Criterion DVD, but I'm definitely not wasting money for standard definition.

4. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Thieves' Highway. Wow. How do you like them apples? Beautiful print. Such an original story. And such an apt metaphor for the screenwriter in the film business in general. Figlia is every studio boss or chiseling producer you've ever had the displeasure to do business with. And we can forgive the tacked on ending - this one's cynical and brutal attitude is definitely a Noir.

I love how simply and perfectly the character's are defined: The girlfriend so dissatisfied that Nick's present was just a geisha doll until she sees the ring. The prostitute is lot more up front and pliable about her gold-digging.

Even though the ending has
    him driving away with the prostitute, why couldn't they have least left out any insinuation they have to now get married and live happily ever after? I just screened the new Criterion of Klute last night and they didn't have to go past Klute and Bree just leaving her apartment together with her luggage. A happy union ending was unlikely, considering who's involved, but at least they left it up to the audience to imagine their own coda. I give them two months.

The only other Noir remotely similar to this is probably Wages of Fear, or the remake Sorcerer. Who knew trucking apples could provide such... ripe material for a classic Noir?

Maxman43 and Flashgear like this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yeah, these are pretty dastardly people to spend time with, but it's hard to look away. I'd never seen it before, so every second held surprises. This is one of Richard Conte's greatest performances.

The print TCM presented looked fabulous! I'm sure the Blu-ray will be a spectacular viewing experience. And as always, Eddie's comments covered a wide range of information, and I really enjoyed what he had to say. Sadly, now we go on Eddie withdrawal for a month. Two month-long breaks per year is kind of infuriating.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

I keep wanting to attend one of Eddie's Noir City festivals, and might make that a goal for 2020. I hold out hope of getting one in my town but I can get to Chicago fairly painlessly...

8EA29E42-6F51-4AAF-9D81-C9D658D199F2.

Suzanne.S likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, last night I was looking at the Detroit one, but I think Eddie won't be there and instead it's going to be Alan K. Rode.

8. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

1E6CF644-55A5-4DB8-BAA6-A6F6D8BB9114.

7281AF35-E37B-4970-ACC1-918908A292AD.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert
    He also acknowledged her passing on July 10th.

Eddie Muller
    A TRUE ORIGINAL. Brava, Valentina Cortese. Oscar nominee in Truffaut’s ‘Day for Night,’ dies at 96

[​IMG]
    Valentina Cortese, Oscar nominee for Truffaut’s ‘Day for Night,’ dies at 96
    The Italian actress appeared in more than 100 movies and TV shows and worked under directors as varied as Robert Wise, Jules Dassin, Terry Gilliam and Federico Fellini.
    washingtonpost.com

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    larryKR and Flashgear like this.
  12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    It is so strange not anticipating Noir Alley and having to go without it for a month. Argh!

13. Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

We'll just have to make do!

Matt Hough likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, CBS and AT&T have come to an agreement. However, there is possibly a blackout coming in September between Sinclair and AT&T. That affects two of my local channels, but one of them the NBC affiliate is already off the air. The second local channel is the Fox channel.

Also, today I cancelled my NFL Sunday Ticket along with the NBA League Pass. I double-checked and have no more contractual obligations with either my DirecTV nor Internet accounts so I'm free to leave whenever I please to do so. More to come on that front.

atcolomb and Scott Merryfield like this.
  15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I mentioned in another post that we had just returned from Iceland, and Robert asked me to post a little about the trip in this thread, so here goes.

We booked a cruise on a small 184 passenger cruise ship through Smithsonian Journeys for our 30th wedding anniversary. The cruise circumnavigated the entire island of Iceland, beginning and ending in Reykjavik. Each day there were one or two ports of call to visit different areas of the island. We visited active geothermal areas, recent volcanic areas, glaciers, lagoons with floating icebergs, remote islands with huge Atlantic puffin and arctic tern bird populations, small fishing villages, etc. We were fortunate enough to come across a very large pod of Orca whales on our last afternoon at sea, too, and were able to witness a feeding frenzy all around the ship for quite awhile.

Smithsonian had numerous experts in a variety of topics on board (everything from Icelandic folklore to climate change), and these academics gave lectures and also were on the shore excursions. Most were also happy to sit and chat over a meal or a cocktail or two. Probably half the passengers on board were from Smithsonian Journeys, with the other half being from various university alumni associations. We got along splendidly with a group from the University of Wisconsin and hung out drinking with them each evening (I was wearing my Michigan Wolverines garb every day). They even gave my wife a Wisconsin pin and made her an honorary Badger. :laugh:

I plan on creating a thread in the Photography section of the forum with photos from the trip. Some of you may be aware that photography is a hobby of mine. I have files from three different cameras to sort through, though, so it may be a week or two before I have all my photos culled and then processed. I will try to remember to post a link here for that thread.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Scott,

Do you know if it's expensive to live there in Iceland?

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Robert, have you decided on new speakers for your office yet?

FWIW, I upgraded my living room system to ELAC Debut v.2 late last year, and I love them. I have to admit, what I like them for the most is music. They're remarkably musical for such inexpensive speakers, but they also do great with movies.

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I think if you live in the Reykjavik area, where about 230,000 of the nation's 330,000 people live, that it can be expensive. I know food in the restaurants was expensive from talking with other passengers who had come in a day or two before the cruise and stayed in Reykjavik. Most food is imported - their main agriculture is raising sheep and dairy farming. The fishing industry is big, too (although the floor fell out of the herring industry due to over fishing), and their cheap geothermal power has generated a few other surprising industries -- Iceland is a major manufacturer of aluminum due to the huge amount of power needed for this. Unemployment is quite low (around 2%), but most people have multiple jobs. Tourism is really growing, too.

I am not sure about the more remote areas, but I would guess those areas would have much less expensive housing. However, employment opportunities would be more limited, too. The small remote villages we visited were highly dependent on the fishing industry.

19. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Glad the Smithsonian channel is back but missed a few episodes of my favorite series Mighty Trains so lucky some of them I can see On Demand but still not happy with the blackout.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Not yet. Right now, I'm kind of happy with what I have there. I took a look at the ELACs, but also Klipsch and SVS.