Crash (Sandra Bullock/Don Cheadle) seperate Widescreen + P&S DVDs from Maple Pictures

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

Maple Pictures have announced the release of seperate Widescreen and Fullscreen (Pan & Scan) DVDs of the 2004 movie Crash in Canada on September 6th 2005.

So far the only extra known is a feauturette but English 5.1 Dolby Digital and 2.0 soundtracks will be included as well as closed captioning.

More details will be added to this thread as they are known, please don't make comments about the movie as there is already a thread in the movies section discussing the film.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

4. BennyD

BennyD Stunt Coordinator

Is the aspect ratio correct on the WS version of the disc? Both Amazon and the back of the case state that the film is in 1.85:1, but it looked letterboxed on my 16x9 set last night. I doublechecked the DVD player settings and everything looked correct. It was almost like the DVD player wasn't able to pull the anamorphically enhanced version from the disc.

5. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Crash should be 2.35:1 not 1.85:1

Looks like a boo-boo on the packaging from Lion's Gate. My copy (I'm in Canada), says 2.35:1 [​IMG]

Back in April, Lions Gate Entertainment sold off Canadian distribution to Maple Pictures.

Read here for further info:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

- Christian

6. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I remember seeing Crash projected at about 2.35:1 when I saw it in the theater. This is also how it appears on my television. It was listed as 1.85:1 on my case as well, but I think it is just a typo (and an inaccurate graphic).

7. Guido

Guido Stunt Coordinator

Separate question -
    Any word on a double dip for this? I bought it because it was only 16.99 at Best Buy and came with a Best Buy exclusive disc with a few additional features I thought was worth it. BUt I am surprised at the lack of deleted scenes / alternate cuts / etc - they may not exist, but I can't see a non- "special edition" for such a fantastic film.

Any word / rumors?

8. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

The back of the case doesn't state its aspect ratio is 1.85:1. It states " Formatted from the original 1.85:1 version in which the film was shot". Sounds like in both the theater and on the disc, it's matted down to 2.35:1.

9. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Saw this on a 185" screen and it played ok.
    What was distracting during the fire crash scene with Matt Dillon, the picture went all video like as if it were an inserted deleted scene, with sub-par quality.

Anyone else notice?

10. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

According to IMDB (which I know isn't always accurate), Crash was filmed in Super35, so if that's the case then 2.35:1 would be correct.

11. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Chris Caine, funny you said that. That is exactly what I told my wife. there was a little scene that looked like video. like it was shot on 1080 HD camera then inserted with the film shot.

I had forgotten about that until I read it here. Glad to see I am not the only one.