What's new

Crap! My TV's messed up! (1 Viewer)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I was moving my one year old, 27 inch Panasonic to another shelf today. I didn't hit it or drop it in the process of moving it. The problem is that now when I turn it on, there is a yellow or purple haze (depending on what color is being displayed on the screen) on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Tell me, great home theater gurus, how badly am I screwed, and what can I do to fix this?
------------------
Link Removed "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" Link Removed

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a similiar problem happen like that before. Is there a lot of dust on your screen? Even if there isn't...clean it and clean it well. Sometimes static buildup in a certain area of the screen can cause some TV's to do that! Weird and very annoying
[Edited last by Justin_T on October 20, 2001 at 11:45 PM]

Nathan Crowell

Auditioning
Does your tv have a degauss button? You also could try unplugging it for a while, and then plugging it back in. It sounds like you got too near a magnetic field.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I read a long time ago that if you repeatedly turn on and off your TV many times in a row that it functions to degauss your tv. I had a problem years ago with a 20" mitsu being too close to a speak and when I moved it away the colors were all messed up. I must have turned it off and on constantly for 10 minutes. It probably killed the power supply, but it took care of the messed up colors.
FYI, the set is still running today.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had the same problem. My son pushed a 27" TV off its stand and it has discolouration on one side. Deguassing did not fix. Lucky for me, that is their TV and not the main display (which is hanging off the ceiling) :)
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
When degaussing by turning the TV on and off, wait one hour between each turn on or turn off. There is a delay before the degausser kicks in again, either intentionally built in or because of the exact circuits that drive the degausser, one hour should cover all makes and models.
If the TV falls or is jarred violently, and degaussing does not fix the discoloration, chances are you need a new picture tube.
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 22, 2001 at 03:09 PM]

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The on/off degaussing trick is for TVs that don't have a built-in degaussing function (which is most of them). Just turn the TV on and off about 10 times quickly.
If the TV was impacted and this doesn't help, chances are the shadow mask was physically damaged and this can't be repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks