CRAP! :f I think my TV is gone

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarlonT, Nov 30, 2001.

1. MarlonT

MarlonT Extra

Watching some late news tonight and all of sudden multiple horizontal lines started to appear at the screens (not the news). Small lines flickers then big lines appear then flickers again. Immediately shut down the power and check if theres anyhting ovious visually at the back or side. Power it back up after about 10 minutes and the the whole image/screen size is off, curve sides all around, images is color in 3 different sides.
    Is it done/toast? Any ideas on how much repair cost is it? Is it time to upgrade [​IMG] to HD
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    TV: Zenith Z56Z83R

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

It is definitely toast. Even if a shop could find a replacement for your old TV's veritic actitator the set will never function correctly again after this type of failure. Indeed, even if it did look correct after a costly repair, you might still be exposing yourself and other family members to Baritode radiation. You know how insidious and deadly that could be. It would be wiser to go as soon as possible and get a new set and since you are spending a good chunk of change anyway, go ahead and pick up an HDTV. It makes sense to turn a disaster into both a home theater and pro-economy situation.

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Guy, I'm glad you pointed this out. Our dog got hit with Baritode a couple of years ago; he likes to hang out in front of the TV on the floor. As you know, that's the WORST spot for the radiation. Fortunately, he's in recovery mode but still sometimes howls uncontrollably.

4. Bob Ruby

Bob Ruby Auditioning

I wish I was lucky enough for my 12 year old Sony 46" RPTV to crap out so I could justify replacing it with a 65" HDTV to my wife.

The darn thing has worked great for 12 years and doesn't seem to want to quit!

5. MarlonT

MarlonT Extra

You guys are scaring me about this radiation stuff. I have two kids who like to point to the TV screen when the ragrats is on.

I notice this couple of months ago about the side not being align with its color, mostly on the edge.

I guess I have to get a new blade for the sawsall and split her up. Do you think someone will like to have this? or this will be better as pile of junk then. Darn thing is only 4 years old.

6. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Marlon, we're just having fun; there's really no such thing as Baritode radiation. Right, Guy?

Guy?

...uh, Guy?

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Veritic actitators were the worse things to ever happen to television! Thank goodness that HD sets were able to do away with them.

8. MarlonT

MarlonT Extra

kindly elaborate that...[​IMG]

9. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Do a web search for Baritode radiation or Veritic Actitators. You'll find everything I know about them. Pretty amazing information source the web is.

10. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

Damn, I never knew there was so much information on the web about that Baritode radiation. I just came in from a long day snipe hunting when I saw this post and had to go searching. You can't even imagine how much information is out there.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Man, this home-theater thing is dangerous stuff. Stick with bungee-cord jumping.

12. Will

Will Guest