What's new

CRANK - Excellent Commentary (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I watched CRANK tonight from Netflix.

While I can't really recommend buying the film, unless you are a big action fan, it does have one of the most interesting styles of commentary. I don't know if it has been done before, as I'm not normally a big fan of commentaries.

It is a video commentary of sorts, with the directors talking in a small box in the corner of the screen (as has been done in other films). But, instead of just them talking, they have all the footage that would normally be found in featurettes (interviews with actors etc) shown during parts of the film that they relate to.

Plus, they show the behind the scenes footage, of the shooting of certain scenes, while they are showing that scene from the film. Gives the scene a whole new perspective.

Like I said, the film, an over the top action film, isn't a must buy, but it may be worth a rental.

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
I thought this was a great action flick. It is also very fast, but the quickness makes sense once you understand the main character does not have much time.

Anyway, for me, it was WAY better than Transporter 2. It may not be something I'd buy but if I could get a number of friends interested I would definitely rent it! (I saw it with a few people in a theater.)

Thanks for the heads up on the commentary.

I thought the ending was very good; meaning, it had great action, funny dialogue and a proper final piece of dialogue, given the situation.

"Yo, whatever psycho."

I also thought the following lines, in the context of the movie, were great:

(after throwing someone out of a cab, pointing at said person): "Al Qaeda! Al Qaeda!" (then the person gets beat up!)

(While receiving a blo....I mean...."cookie") "Hey, you can't stop! I'm not finished!" "And have you fall asleep like you always do? No way!"

(after chopping off someone badguys arm)"You have to admit that was pretty f'ing cool!"

Errr.....this post was very informative, no??? Okay here is something useful: Needless to say, this movie is not for kids.

-Eric

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Just to be a voice of dissent, since we're also discussing filmic content and not the disc...

CRANK's just about the worst film I've ever seen. It's like a bunch of eleven year-olds made a movie.

Also: if you suffer from that disorder where First-Person video games make you sick, CRANK will probably give you a seizure.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
To be honest... I'd agree.

Now, having said that... it was also one of the most fun films I've been to see in the theatre in a while. The whole time it was onscreen, I enjoyed myself. As soon as it was over, I couldn't help but think that I'd wasted a couple of hours that could've been better spent.

Either way, I picked it up yesterday, figuring that it'll make a good drinking game movie. :)

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I know it isn't the best movie ever made but it is a fun "turn brain off" movie.

I mean, the movie didn't change my view on anything, and yet it was fun. Than again, I knew going in that an action movie really should not be compared to things like the films of Kurosawa, Fellini, Bergman, etc., etc.

Rather, it should be compared to movies within its genre, and in that respect it is good. If you have seen some of the straight to video action movies, than you should know that it could have been worse, much worse.

So in summing up, yeah, it may not be the best, but to lable it the worst is more of a snap decision, than a well thought out one. I mean, if you have seen some of the garbage with Wesley Snipes in it, you would probably see that this is not the worst.

-Eric

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
I thought of other movies which I would put in the same group as Crank, and I remembered a quote from a certain review:

"The Last Boy Scout is a guilty pleasure by any standard, but I 've seen plenty of guilt-free movies lately that aren't this much fun." -Owen Gleiberman

That is what I feel about Crank, it is a fun ride. If you feel differently -or you wanted something else-, well, I can't change your mind.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks