What's new

Craigslist hoax.. (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I posted a car and some house windows on Craiglist about 2 weeks ago. I received 5 replies and 4 of them were scams. This one has "Sucker" written all over it.
Another said that they would give me twice the asking price after I exported the car for them. I think Craiglist is a great idea, but they will have to figure out a way to stop these scams.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The person that posted it probably had a gripe with the unfortunate target, especially if it listed some of the contents (such as the horse that guy had). Somebody must of known something about the target and his possessions (as well as address) to post it to craigslist. Sneaky, and I salute the creative juices , but a horrible situation now.

Jay

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I've had similar responses to a posting for a car a couple of years ago. Craigslist does display ample warnings about this sort of stuff on the site. Not sure what else they could do.

They are pretty good at policing what they can in my experience. Last year while I was apartment hunting, I would systematically flag every deceptive, bait-n-switch type ad I came across (a handful of times per ad), and they were gone within a few hours.

--
H

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even though Craigslist, and the Internet in general, played a part in it, I can't believe anyone, including the lady with the horse, could think something like that was legit. Especially if you get to his home and no one is there! You don't just enter and start taking things. You would need a Court Order to do that, not a stupid add from Craigslist. Unbelievable.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
It was the lady who was going to pick up the horse who actually called the guy about it and it was then, the guy got word of what was going on...

Jay

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

There are plenty of gullible people out there. So many people have fallen for the "I'll send you a counterfeit money order for more than your asking price if you'll Western Union me the difference" scam that banks started posting notices warning their customers not to fall for it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think greedy people is more like it. The thought of getting something for nothing causes us to lose grip of our common sense. This kind of reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's neighbor goes into a coma and Kramer (who wants his vacuum cleaner back) announces that after 24 hours a coma victims apartment becomes a free-for-all!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

No kidding! I can't figure out if people are just that stupid or if they're just that big of a**holes to use a craigslist ad to justify stealing someone's stuff. Either way it's depressing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why do I get the vibe that it was probably a disgruntled "ex?"

Oh, the pain that people like to inflict on ones they used to love.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I can't believe anyone, including the lady with the horse, could think something like that was legit. Especially if you get to his home and no one is there! You don't just enter and start taking things.

Yes, especially if there's no sign or the like indicating that the stuff is up for grabs.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's awful. It's worse, really, than outright robbery because it feels like someone was specifically out to get YOU. I would be devastated if I was in that guy's shoes; any sense of privacy is just shattered.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
If a clever plan contains an element of unbelievable stupidity (doing this from the home PC :confused:), is it still a clever plan?

--
H

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Plan was clever (considering the two idiots that came up with it), implementation was pretty stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks