crackling speakers....are they blown out already??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Eric_M, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I have the Onkyo 600
    with Monitor 7's, mini monitors, CC370 and the Rava

I noticed when watching films, during certain scenes, like explosions or screaming, I will sometimes get almost like a light crackle sound coming out of the center and mains.

I am wondering if my system is shot already.

An example is the first explosion in Phantom Menace when that ship gets blown up while the two jedis were inside trying to negotiate.
    Also in the end when Annakin blows up the station that controls the battledroids.

When listening to music it seems fine though.

Thanks in advance

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

If you listen at really loud levels, like over 105 db, then this could be clipping from your amp, which is awful for your speakers. I would try to test your onkyo to see exactly how loud you can go with it before clipping, and make sure you dont go past that point.

3. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

Hello-

Also check the settings/crossovers for the speakers. If they are set to LARGE, this could be whats causing them. If you can switch them to small and adjust the crossover accordingly (like 70 or 80) then this should get rid of the problem.

I hope this helps.

Angelo

4. Eric Harrison

It could also be the material......wondering if anyone else has heard the crackling sound? I know for example Charlies Angels has terrible crackling in the dialogue, which is DVD related.

5. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

I havn't seen Charlies Angels and probably never will, but i have heard the crackling sound that you're refering to on other material.

Bob

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 600 might be a bit stressed by that many Minis + a CC370. If it only happens on a particular disc, I would say it is either the source or source material itself.

Does it still happen if you turn the volume down? If so, you are pushing the amp too hard.

7. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

the Onkyo 600 really only puts out about 30 some watts a channel with all channels driven, based on some previous posts on this topic. Hence, at loud volumes you are very likely clipping the amp. I echo John Garcia, turn the volume down and listen again. If it goes away, the amp section was clipping.

8. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

It does seem to happen on a few titles.
    That is what i was thinking, that perhaps the Onkyo is clipping the speakers.

The thing is, although the Onkyo delivers 30w on all 5 channels, ususally sound is not being played on all 5 channels at once. Also all the Paradigms I have require a min of 15 w only so I figured that wouldn't be an issue.

I first noticed it in The Phantom Menace during the very first explosion when the two jedis go for that negotiation meeting and the two pilots flying the ship get blwon up. You can hear a slight crackle.
    Perhaps if someone could play this in their system, it might give me some more insight on this.

Thanks so far......

9. james e m

james e m Second Unit

The same thing happened to me with my Paradigm Monitors, my cheap Sony receiver damaged them. The dealer let me exchange them and I bought a better receiver. The crackling noises were only audible at certain frequencies, so make sure your dealer has a test disc so you can show them where the problem is.
    james

10. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

I had the same problem with my new setup (Im a newbie at this) while I was watching the battle scene in Patriot. I was ticked until I figured out that one of the speaker wires was a bit loose and when everything reached a certain decibel level/frequency it shook it up.

Got some banana plugs and it cleared it right up.

11. Harry Callaghan

12. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

13. chris ol

chris ol Auditioning

I had the same clipping sound myself. It was on certain scenes. really loud passagges in movies. My old yamaha reciever didnt do that. So I thought it was my onkyo TX-SR500 so I upgraded to the TX-SR600. It still happened. So I thought it was my speakers and I changed them. Guess what?[​IMG] you got it still clipping![​IMG] Then I read somewhere about the low power in the onkyo and upgraded to the H/K 525 and it is much better! [​IMG]

14. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

15. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I have experienced crackling or static in certain movies. When I do hear some which is rare I play the movie on my computer. In every instance its been the source dvd. If your able try it on your computer to compare.