Crackling sound. May need a new sound card.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Andres Munoz, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

I currently use the audio panel built into the motherboard. I have a Y cable which splits into two outputs: one for my headphones and the other goes into my HT receiver.

I use my headphones most of the time so one day I started noticing this crackling sound in the background at all times (listening to MP3s, playing games, etc). At first I thought it was my headphones because they're wireless. I thought they were going bad. But it sounds the same when I play any audio through my HT receiver. The sound is not clean anymore. There's a lot of "garbage" going on in the background.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I removed the Y cable and connected the PC directly to the HT receiver and directly to the headphones but the sound is still bad. I don't know if the motherboard audio panel is going bad or not. Any ideas what could be going on?

Also, I started doing a little research here and out in the internet for the latest sound cards and the HDA X-Plosion 7.1 looks very interesting with the DDL and DTS Connect features. For those of you who own this card, can I get some feedback on it?

Thank you all in advance.

2. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Make sure you have the most up-to-date drivers for the sound card. Get rid of the Y-splitter and either directly connect the headphones or the a/v receiver. If you're still hearing the crackling sound then it might time to get a new sound card...

3. Andres Munoz

Also, as I explained before, I already did that.

4. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

The built-in sound card still does need drivers. If you know the mobo brand and model you should be able to find the latest drivers for the built-in sound card.

5. Andres Munoz

I'll give it a try. Thanks.