What's new

Crackling on One Rear Speaker? (1 Viewer)

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a new one for me - my left surround speaker all of a sudden is now crackling.
Only the left, no matter which input, no matter what volume. Only goes away when I power down the system.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
David

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
the first thing i would do is isolate whether it is your speaker or your receiver.
switch your rear speakers around and see if the sound still crackles in the left. if it does, it's (obviously) your receiver or something else that has the problem. if the crackling switches to your right channel then you'll know it's the speaker itself.
other than that, i'm not sure what a crackling speaker could mean. it's possible you've blown the tweeter.
hope that helps...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Sounds like it could be a blown tweeter. I had the same problem in the right rear speaker a couple of weeks ago. I took the tweeter out and brought it to the(speaker manufacturer,Acoustic Research by the way) service center(luckily i leave only 20 minutes from there) and they replaced it because it was under warranty. Try changing them around first as suggested by Ted. Sounds like a blown tweeter though IMO. Good luck.

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
Its definately not the speaker - I have switched them twice, and it keeps happening in the Left Surround.
I will now try to see if it the cables. Then I will try to figure out if it is the pre or the power amp (neither of which I would be too thrilled about!).
David

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
OK - I've done more testing and it is definately the Krell KAV-500 power amp (Ugh!).
I have tested moving the inputs around, as well as removed the inputs from the power amp. I have also switched speaker wires, and it is clear that the problem is the power amp.
Is it possible to blow a fuse in a power amp? What else could cause a crackle like this from a power amp?
Thanks,
David

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm no EE, but at powerdown, I bet the capacitors lose their charge, some of it inline with the output stages (or actually in the output stage of the amp.) You might have a bad/blown capacitor in the output stage of the amp and it could just affect that one channel and that voltage could cause the crackle in that one channel.
You definitely could blow a fuse, but then your amp wouldn't work, at all! :)
Again, I'm no EE but just a thought, call Krell and ask their opinion and hope it's under warrentee.
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks