What's new

Crackling Noise with Sirius Satellite Radio (1 Viewer)

ron.diamond

Auditioning
I have a vexing problem with my Sirius radio sound quality that's driving me nuts! Any ideas for fixing the problem would be greatly appreciated.

I use an Audiovox plug n play unit in a home docking unit that I connected to my Elan home sound system. The problem is a terrible crackling noise when I listen to Sirius radio in my home. It sounds like someone's frying bacon in the system - the louder the volume, the worse the noise. I can't figure out how to make the noise stop. Now, here are some additional details...

When I use the system in the car, the sound is crystal clear. Also, if I listen to the unit with ear buds while it's docked in the house, the sound is crystal clear. Therefore, I don't think the radio is the problem. It's only when I connect the system to my Elan system that I hear the "frying bacon".

Lest you think you have a solution already, please read on. I also have a home theatre system, CD player, and FM Tuner also hooked up to my Elan system. None of these sources have the "frying bacon" crackling noise problem. They all sound great.

A few months ago, a friend recommended a ground loop isolator to resolve the problem. It actually worked great - except that the problem seems to have slowly returned. I then put ground loop isolators on the other sources, but this did not help.

I turned the Audiovox system's FM transmitter off. This did not help.

I have an inline amplifier to boost the signal coming out of the Sirius radio and into the Elan system amplifier. I disconnected this, but it did not help.

I have an outdoor antenna for my sirius unit and needed two 30 ft antenna extensions to get from it to my home docking station location. I generally have a good signal at three bars, sometimes two. This doesn't seem to make a difference.

Can anyone suggest what the problem could be and how to make it quit?!?!?

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I plug an external multi media speakers directly into my audio out home dock for my Sportster and it works crystal clear. When I try to tune in with my home theater downstairs, I sometimes get the fuzzy signal. Most of the times you can just tune into another station as the one you've chosen has tendency to pull the info from a strong staion nearby. I've had that static before and just changed the station to something else, retune my other radios and it sounded great.

But for my home dock set-up, just plug some nice speakers you would normally hook up to your computer with a subwoofer set (usually $30-50) and it sounds phenominal. I have no amplifier, and nothing to supe it up any.

ron.diamond

Auditioning
Thanks for your response Ernie. Unfortunately, I'm not using the FM transmitter in my Sirius radio - I'm using the audio output from the home docking station directly into my Elan home sound system.

I do have a correction to my original post though. I am getting the noise through the audio output. This is different than the first time I had this problem. I suspect a ground loop problem somewhere...

Erick.S

Auditioning
I hope you get the problem resolved. I don't have crystal clear audio on my sirius unit when i'm in the car because I use the fm transmitter. When people pronounce the letter S it sounds fuzzy and sharp at the same time. Odd. So I understand how annoying a problem can be. Anyway, good luck.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Erick,

have you tried other blank stations? Sometimes you get a crackle because your car antenna is pulling a local station that's pretty strong, or a nearby station. Sometimes Iget a crackle and then tune it to another station and it comes in crystal clear. I've had it for 5 months now and I get great reception.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks