Crackling noise/static from center channel in Gladiator/Planet of the Apes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Sylvester, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I'm experiencing crackling/static noises from the center channel on my Onkyo 797 during Gladiator (first battle when they fight the African legion) and Planet of the Apes (usually during loud monkey screams). DTS track on both.

Anyone else ever hear it? Is this the normal crackling problem inherent to certain DVD soundtracks, or is my receiver just not up to the task? It was so bad during POTA that I thought my tweeter might blow.

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Try your discs on a friend's system to see if you duplicate the problem there.

If not then you know you have a hardware problem. I had this problem with Star Trek: First Contact when Picard was arguing with Worf.

Took my receiver in - a Yamaha 595 at the time - and found that a chip had to be reseated. Problem gone.

Course your problem maybe something else entirely but thought it worthwhile to pass along my experience.

Good Luck.

3. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

There were no problems on my system for either film. Both DTS and DD were fine (both have excellent mixes) with none of those problems you encountered.

I must admit that those really loud monkey screams can be quite annoying.

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Some DVD soundtracks have center channel crackling with dialogue. I don't remember Gladiator having that. Haven't seen the POTA's remake.

5. Jay Sylvester

The crackling only occurs during very loud sequences, like POTA monkey screams or when the horse cart flips over and into the gladiator waiting area. I tried swapping my rear center speaker with my front speaker, and I heard the same noise so I know it's not the speaker.

I didn't even think of trying the DD tracks to see if they did it too. Unfortunately, I'm the only person I know who has a 5.1 setup, so I can't test it out on someone else's system.

I hope Onkyo has a service center close by, because I'd hate to ship it out (it's really heavy).

6. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Is there a chance that you have your center channel set to "large"? Unlikely I know, maybe it happened by accident.

7. Jay Sylvester

That's entirely possible if the settings are lost when the receiver is unplugged for a while. I recently moved, and the receiver sat in its box for a couple weeks unused. I never bothered to go back in and check the settings. I'll try that.