Crackling in speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Ab, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Ryan Ab

Ryan Ab Extra

Hi,

This is my first post and I wasn't sure if it should be here or somewhere else, but here is my question. I recently upgraded to the new Paradigm Cinema 90 speakers. I've been really happen with them. The problem I have, though, is some crackling--at low volume levels--on the right front speaker postion that wasn't heard with old speakers.

Trouble shooting I have done include: Swapped front speakers and the crackling stayed at the rf. Replaced speaker wire and had no change. I played the cd from both my cd player and dvd player with same results. I also tried sound dampening material on the shelf the speaker sits on which didn't help either.

The cd's I've noticed the problem with are the opening track of Dave Brubeck's Take Five, and on Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, about 3 minutes in when it plays the do da do dooooo.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Welcome to the forum, Ryan. [​IMG]
    Interesting problem but based on the information you gave (changing wire, swapping speakers) my best guess is that it stems from the connection of the speaker wire to your receiver. What type of termination are you using there, bare wire, spades, pins? Also, what type of connector is on your receiver, binding posts or clip connectors?
    It's possible you have a short in the termination or in the connector to the receiver that is causing the crackling. If you use a termination other than bare wire try removing it and connecting it bare. If that doesn't work my guess is that it's the binding post/clip or something in that line internally in the receiver which may require service by a technician.
    Anyone else have other ideas for the cause?

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Yes welcome to the forum! Let us know what reciever your using too. Sometimes, if its an older one, it can be those knobs for balance and such.

4. Ryan Ab

Ryan Ab Extra

Thanks for the replies. The receiver is close to 10 years old, a Technics Sa-GX350 Pro-logic. It is the next piece in the system I'm looking to upgrade.

I'm using bare wires to connect with. The reciever has the simple clip connectors. ONe other thing I failed to mention was that I also hooked the speakers up to the "B" speaker outs and it did the same. I suppose this does mean it is some kind of problem within the reiciever itself.

5. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

From your description it does sound like the problem is in the receiver. Try jiggling the various knobs like volume, balance, bass, and treble.

If you hear crackling when moving any knobs you could have a dirty potentiometer. If that's the case you could try some tuner cleaner from Radio Shack. you would have to remove the knob, some just pull off, some have a small set screw, and spray the tuner cleaner down the shaft and into the potentiometer, then work it around a little.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the problem is almost certainly your receiver. does it do this regardless of wht input you choose? if it's only on one input you could also check the rca cable. i really think it's the receiver though.

bruce -

do you have any experience with the cleaner? my receiver is also making a crackling noise when i turn the volume knob, but i'm a little hesitant to shoot a cleaner into it. i'm totally comfortable opening it up, etc. just not so sure about spraying stuff on the connections.

7. Ryan Ab

Ryan Ab Extra

No, it doesn't matter which input you use. My DVD player and CD changer come in on their own seperate inputs, so that rules out problems with them or their wires. I'm going to try the knobs out tonight; thank you, Bruce. I've also got another plain stereo reciever I might swap out to see if it gives the same results as well.

The interesting thing to me is that I never had the problem with the older speakers, cheap Fischer's that I got in the late 80's. By no means would I ever turn back to them!

8. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Well, I wouldn't just shoot anything in there. [​IMG] Just make sure it's Tuner cleaner, sometimes called TV tuner cleaner or contact cleaner. Originally meant for old fashioned TVs that had rotary channel knobs. As long as it's meant for electronics you'll be fine. It has some cleaner and a very light lubricant in it. You may need a damp rag as some overspray will probably get on the face of the receiver, it cleans up easily and won't stain.
    You should do the obvious and make sure the unit is turned off and unplugged. I don't think you need to pull the cover, just remove the knob so you can spray the cleaner down next to the shaft into the potentiometer.
    Hope this helps,
    Bruce

9. pablo

pablo Auditioning

Hello,

I have a similar problem, with an old Sony Pro Logic receiver as well, but the 'crackling' occurs in the left rear surround at higher volume levels. While I am pretty convinced that it is the receiver vs. the speakers, will this distortion damage my speakers?

Setup

Receiver Sony STR-D665

Surrounds Boston Acoustics CR4s

Thanks,

Pablo

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks bruce...i think i'll give it a shot (no pun intended)...
    [​IMG]

11. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If the crackling only occurs at high volume levels, turn the volume down. There could be something (namely overly rich high frequency content), not necessarily heard as crackling, that would destroy the speakers starting with the tweeters.
    The tuner cleaner has to get at the potentiometer (pot) sliding contact, not just the shaft bearing. Usually you will need to open up the receiver or amp and see where the wires are connected to the pot, usually there is a slot at that location where the slider can be seen with the aid of a flashlight.
    Some pots are greased to retard corrosion, the slider breaks through the grease to make contact but after many years the grease hardens. Contact cleaner softens or rinses away the grease. Do not stick a toothpick or other hard or bulky object into the pot, you could bend the slider and it can never be put back right.
    If the crackling is in rhythm with the music and happens with all DVD's (or all tapes if from the VCR) it is likely an amplifier problem but whether it is in the receiver or in the DVD player (or VCR) needs to be narrowed down using more trial and error.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

12. Ryan Ab

Ryan Ab Extra

Its official; the crackling noise was in the reciever. I put a stereo reciever in and everything came out crystal clear. I guess its off to the service center time.

Thanks for all the advice!