Crackling from new speaker. Is it broken?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yohan Pamudji, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I just got some new speakers, and while listening to "Sposa son disprezzata" off of The Sopranos soundtrack I hear crackling coming from my right speaker. The crackling is coming from the tweeter. So I swap speakers, keeping all other connections the same. I hear crackling from the same speaker, which I've now moved to the left. Just to make sure I'm not crazy I swap them back and the crackling moves correspondingly.

Is this a busted tweeter, a tweeter cover that's too tight to where the tweeter is bumping up against it, or maybe an issue that'll be fixed with break-in?

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Unfortunately this sounds like a bad driver, or possibly crossover.[​IMG]

3. Yohan Pamudji

How could this be a crossover issue? I'm not knowledgable about crossovers so I'd like to know.

4. Nikos

Nikos Auditioning

I had a crackling sound from one of my drivers and it turned out that the foam gasket that helps seal the driver to the baffle was broken. To my amazement, the majority of my drivers had the same problem. It turns out that the gaskets wrapped around the screws as the drivers were being installed from the factory. I was annoyed especially since each of these towers goes for $750 US and they're from a reputable company.

I would remove the problematic driver and check it for any abnormalities.

Nikos

5. Yohan Pamudji

Nikos,

Those towers wouldn't happen to be Paradigm Studio 80s, would they? That's what I'm having the crackling problem with.

6. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

"How could this be a crossover issue? I'm not knowledgable about crossovers so I'd like to know".

Let's say a component in the crosover failed or is out of spec and is sending frequencies intended for the midrange to the tweeter or those intended for the woofer to the midrange. This would cause those drivers to "cry uncle" when hit hard by those frequencies.