Cracking in Speakers - only sometimes

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Scott Reiss, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Scott Reiss

Scott Reiss Agent

I have an odd problem - I have a 5.1 setup (PSB Alpha right, left, center, and sub ... Jamo in-walls in rear) with Pioneer receiver. Never a problem, been setup and unchanged for 3-4 years. I am noticing a loud cracking in the front right and left speakers when watching Rescue Me on FX. No other time, with no other source (CD, DVD, VCR, other TV channels) do I get this. I have to turn down the volume when it happens because it's like a loud static discharge sound. But I am guessing it has to do with the source feed from the cable since I don't have this problem elsewhere. I can't tell if it's unique to the FX channel, because I only just started watching Rescue Me, and I think it's the only thing I've ever watched on FX.

What I was wondering was whether anyone had any suggestions as to what might be causing this, and any ideas about what to do about it, other than just live with it (which has been my strategy for the last month or so, but it's getting old.)

Thanks, Scott

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If it's only that one channel, then yes, I'd suspect it is the channel that is causing it. Hopefully you have a display that has speakers and can be viewed without the receiver on, because my suggestion would be to watch with the stereo off.

3. jephdood

jephdood Stunt Coordinator

Similar thing happened to me recently, mostly always coming from the center channel. Turned out to be my receiver. I moved the coax audo cable coming from the cable box from "Video2" to "CD" on the receiver and ran it there for awhile. No more loud pops.