What's new

Cracker boxset: Worth a buy? :) (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I watched this show in the mid 90's when I was at High School and I loved it. Easily the best british drama of the 1990's and one of the best ever produced by this country. I've had my eye on the boxset since its release in May this year. £70 retail in shops but amazon have it for £52. No extras but every episode of Cracker together in one set. Anybody know what the picture/audio quality is like? Should I buy it? :D

Real Name
Anthony
I'd guess that picture / audio quality is pretty average, given that the video releases are by Cinema Club. If I was you, Craig, I'd hold your nerve and wait for a major price drop. HMV are launching another sale on Thurs 25th, for instance. I've NO inside info on this but I do know that I picked up some great deals on box sets in their last sale - Complete New Avengers (7 discs for £25 notes), Complete Prisoner (VHS FOR £19.99) and both UFO sets for about £25 each. I'd predict that, at some point, these overpriced boxsets will take a major reduction.
Check out www.hmv.co.uk and trawl through the offers, both now and on Thursday. Well worth it. :)

Brian Sizelove.

Auditioning
Well, I purchased CRACKER and PRIME SUSPECT sets (on sale) shortly after they were released. I found the image quality superior to that of BBC America's broadcasts via DirectTV. So, even though neither received a first-rate remastering effort on par with the original STAR TREK series or some of the A&E sets, these R2 box sets are worth purchase if you can find them at discount and intend to view them a few times over the years.

Let me put in another way, I know of no national US video store chain that will likely ever carry this wonderful material.

Real Name
Anthony
Craig - just in case you're thinking of ignoring my advice, go to the Virgin Megastore site (don't have the address on me). CRACKER's on there for £43 - £46, and Prime Suspect's there for £33.99.
I'd hold your nerve though. I reckon you'll have CRACKER for £30 within a year. Now that'd be worth it !;)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I'll hold on for a bit Anthony and see if I can pick it up in the sales. :D
My money is set aside for The Sweeney: Season 1 on monday.:emoji_thumbsup:

Real Name
Anthony
Had a look on the HMV site - incidentally, one of the most frustrating online experiences I have ever had, links constantly breaking etc - and CRACKER's on for £49.99, with PRIME SUSPECT at £34.99 - so Virgin's the one to beat.
Even so, my advice still hasn't changed. This'll go down - maybe post-Christmas.

Real Name
Anthony
Saw CRACKER box set in-store at Virgin, Oxford St. for £39.99. Don't know if that'd apply to Scotland too.
Check and see if that's the online price.

Real Name
Anthony
Just a further update on the price drops - Amazon.co.uk now have the PRIME SUSPECT set for £24.99 and the CRACKER box set for £34.99.

Oh, and if anyone fancies THE SHIELD Season 1, Virgin are doing it for a pretty incredible £9.99, or as part of their 3 for £20 promotion.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks