Cracked 'spider' in Dayton 15" DVC...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam O, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Well I was wondering why my sub sounded bad lately, I had the post several days ago: Bottoming out my sub? Well upon closer inspection I relized that the spider, this holds the voice coil in place but allows it to move freely, is cracked in 2 places 3" apart. Inbetween these cracks it has seperated from the voice coil.
    The popping or fluttering I was hereing before was the spider sliding back and forth against the voice coil. And was only audible when given bass from DVDs (aka unperiodic bas- if you know what I mean[​IMG]).
    Now for my question, What can I use to repair the cracked/split/ripped spider and attach it back to the voice coil? I was thinking that silicone or something flexible would be needed.
    Thanks,
    Adam

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

What you describe isn't a trivial situation where a DIY fix will work.
    So sorry to say this, but it really needs to be reconed. [​IMG]
    First check with PE, it may be a warranty situation.

3. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Thomas, thanks, I guess [​IMG],
    I emailed them telling them my situation and look forward to a relpy.
    What exactly is the procedure for reconing it?
    Can I be sent this part and DIY? or will I have to send it back to them? Can someone locally do it?
    You're sure silicone won't work [​IMG]???
    Thanks
    Adam

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

If it's a warranty situation yes they'll want it back. If they determine it's a defective driver and covered under warranty, they'll probably just send you a new driver.

No silicone isn't an appropriate fix for the type of damage you're describing.

If it gets reconed they tear everything off down to the metal. Then a new cone/surround/VC/spider/dust cap are glued in place.

5. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

Great news, I just received a reply from the guys at PE and they'll be sending me a new one.

Great Service there!

Adam

6. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

Adam

How did you break the dvc15? I also have a dvc15, but haven't put a box together yet. Great to hear PE has good service. Did you have to send them your old driver or show them a picture or anything?

7. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how I (If I) broke it. Due to the cost of shipping he is taking my word and just sending me the new one (saves alot on s&h).

No I did not have to show him a picture,

Adam