What's new

Cracked 'spider' in Dayton 15" DVC... (1 Viewer)

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
Well I was wondering why my sub sounded bad lately, I had the post several days ago: Bottoming out my sub? Well upon closer inspection I relized that the spider, this holds the voice coil in place but allows it to move freely, is cracked in 2 places 3" apart. Inbetween these cracks it has seperated from the voice coil.
The popping or fluttering I was hereing before was the spider sliding back and forth against the voice coil. And was only audible when given bass from DVDs (aka unperiodic bas- if you know what I mean:)).
Now for my question, What can I use to repair the cracked/split/ripped spider and attach it back to the voice coil? I was thinking that silicone or something flexible would be needed.
Thanks,
Adam

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
What you describe isn't a trivial situation where a DIY fix will work.
So sorry to say this, but it really needs to be reconed. :frowning:
First check with PE, it may be a warranty situation.

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas, thanks, I guess :crazy:,
I emailed them telling them my situation and look forward to a relpy.
What exactly is the procedure for reconing it?
Can I be sent this part and DIY? or will I have to send it back to them? Can someone locally do it?
You're sure silicone won't work :frowning:???
Thanks
Adam

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
If it's a warranty situation yes they'll want it back. If they determine it's a defective driver and covered under warranty, they'll probably just send you a new driver.

No silicone isn't an appropriate fix for the type of damage you're describing.

If it gets reconed they tear everything off down to the metal. Then a new cone/surround/VC/spider/dust cap are glued in place.

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
Great news, I just received a reply from the guys at PE and they'll be sending me a new one.

Great Service there!

Adam

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Adam

How did you break the dvc15? I also have a dvc15, but haven't put a box together yet. Great to hear PE has good service. Did you have to send them your old driver or show them a picture or anything?

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know how I (If I) broke it. Due to the cost of shipping he is taking my word and just sending me the new one (saves alot on s&h).

No I did not have to show him a picture,

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks