What's new

Cracked recovery cd (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I was going to use my recovery cd to try and fix problems I have with my computer, but when I went to use it I noticed it has a small crack in it from the center about an inch and a half. My cd rom drive will not even recognize the disc to try and make a copy. I checked the HP site to try and get a replacement, but they want $23.00 for the disc and $13.00 shipping!!:angry:

Is there anything I can do? My computer is about three years old, but until recently it has run fine (problem with a McAfee upgrade where I deleted some files I shouldn't have. Don't ask). Is the disc worth the $36.00 or should I look into a cheap replacement? Perplexed.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Is the disc worth $36 dollars? Technically its only worth about .30c or so. ;)

Ok ok actually HP must think its worth this amount or they wouldnt be charging you $36 and dont you LOVE those shipping charges on a couple of CD's? Your cheapest replacement would be to buy a full version of Microsoft Windows which will run you considerably more then $36. At this point unless you are planning on replacing your computer what else can you do?

KyleS

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Ah, yes. HP's "recovery" process and the technical (lack-of-)support thereof -- the exact reasons why I will never, EVER buy another computer from HP again.

I would wager that the extra cost of shipping is for overnight delivery, so I'm not surprised that it's $13. You'll need to decide whether or not the $23 is worth it.

Does this CD contain everything like drivers and so forth or is it just the operating system? You actually might be able to get the same results by getting the CD of the same operating system from someone else (since you obviously have the license to use the operating system) and reinstalling it that way. The only catch would be drivers and HP-branded applications.

Make sure that you identify your hardware (video, audio, IDE, modem, etc.) before doing anything and if you have the ability to download and save the drivers to a CD, that would be even better than a recovery CD. You'll get a fresh install of a clean O/S, as opposed to a not-necessarily-clean HP install, and you'll have the newest drivers, as opposed to the HP drivers which could be as old as your computer. (This of course is in the eventuality of rebuilding the operating system instead of just repairing it.)

What kinds of problems are you having with your system?

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
John,
$13.00 is for 4 - 7 day delivery, it's $22.00 for 1 - 2 day delivery:angry: !!! The cd contains everything, including drivers for my usb keyboard and my dvd drive, both of which came with the system. I detailed the problem I am having here http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=117462 . It is frustrating and I am trying to get support from McAfee, which isn't going as well as it says in the owners manual. Thanks for the reply though. I have had offers from friends to use their restore discs, but they are not HP, Emachines I think. I even have a copy of Win 98 that I can use, but I would be afraid not to have my drivers. Is their a place on the computer where I can get them and save them to a disk? Any help appreciated.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Is their a place on the computer where I can get them and save them to a disk?
If you're using Windows 98, you actually can have an easier time than you might think. If you save new drivers to a location on the hard drive, like C:MyDrivers, you can actually obliterate the C:Windows directory and install it from scratch. I've done that several times for a fresh Windows 98 install without having to wipe out the whole hard drive.

You'd still need to reinstall all of your applications to get the C:WindowsSystem directory (among others) repopulated properly; but just by deleting the entire Windows directory (after booting from a floppy disk, of course) you can perform a fresh Windows install, your drivers would be safely tucked away in the C:MyDrivers (or whatever) directory, and your data will still be intact unless it was saved in the Windows directory,of course.

If you decide to go through with this, don't just rename the Windows directory. It will search for a previous installation and will import previous settings over, which might not get rid of your problem. I've had this happen, too.

As for wiping out the C:Windows directory completely, I've done it lots of times without a problem. (Make sure that you have the deltree command on your bootable floppy disk. It makes wiping out the directory much easier.)

Jeff Lehr

Stunt Coordinator
Don't they have an exchange program for damaged or non-working disks? Making you pay another $36 to replace a recovery disk is just stupid.
If you haven't already, I'd call HP Support and ask them about this. Then again, they'd probably charge you $36 for the tech support call, so that wouldn't do you any good.
If I had the same system as you, I'd be glad to send you a copy of my recovery disk.
Maybe you could make a plea and find a good-hearted soul to help you out that way.

JL

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
That might be a bit beyond my capabilities. Sounds complicated. Is it possible to recover if you make a mistake?
It's really not complicated. Download drives and save them to a directory like C:MyDrivers or something. When you're ready to take the plunge, boot from a boot floppy diskette, and delete the entire C:Windows directory. POOF! You can now perform a clean install of Windows.

Can you recover? Not if you wipe out the directory. That's the catch. You have to be absolutely sure that you're ready because it's a big step.

Here's where you have to balance the desire to try to fix the problem with the fear of wiping out something that you didn't want to wipe out.

Another option would be to get another hard drive, reinstall the operating system, and set your old hard drive as a D: drive. You'll get a clean install on the new C: drive but you'll still have all of your data accessible from your original drive.

Of course, the remaining option is to just bite the bullet and purchase the recovery CD from those theives.

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going with John on this one. If you have critical files, get another HD and format with a new OS. HP does have all their drivers onlineso you can get them all there. You may want to try getting a newer OS, maybe XP. It probably has all the drivers available. What do you think John...FAT32?? :D You may even want to try edonkey to see if someone has that ISO image of the HP recovery disk. I have a friend that works for HP, so I could see if he has the CD and maybe I can set you up download it from me.

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
You dare to suggest XP and FAT32 in the same paragraph???
I knew that would spark something!! We won't get into the NTFS/FAT32 battle again. But seriously, if his previous file system was FAT32, and he keeps that HD in there, it would probably be better to keep the new install FAT32 as well. Would'nt you agree?

Either way, I would get a fresh install anyways. Those proprietary recovery CD's load your PC up with un-needed crap.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
it would probably be better to keep the new install FAT32 as well. Would'nt you agree?
Um ... no.

The issue there is not whether or not they're both the same format. There is absolutely no benefit to having a C: drive as FAT32 just because the D: drive is FAT32. They're independent of each other. The issue is whether or not the version of Windows that he plans on using can read both NTFS and FAT32.

The only reason to have the new boot drive as FAT32 is if he wants to make sure that a new boot drive is accessible from a boot diskette, since DOS doesn't recognize NTFS.

This is of course assuming that he goes for a new hard drive, which he might decide to not do anyway, thus making this discussion somewhat moot.

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we won't start this again. But we all know my feelings on NTFS! Either way, I would try to get as far away as possible from Windows 98. The recovery CD is pretty much worthless if you ask me. It installs the OS and all the other useless software HP feels you need. Get fresh install of the OS and then jump on their website and download all the drivers you need.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Get fresh install of the OS and then jump on their website and download all the drivers you need.
Actually, with drivers you should get the drivers first, store them away, then do a clean install. After all, modem and network card drivers might be some of the drivers that need to be installed before you can access the Internet. Can't access teh Internet without drivers if you decide to get the drivers after rebuilding the operating system. Big "oops". :D

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
Can't access teh Internet without drivers if you decide to get the drivers after rebuilding the operating system. Big "oops".
LOL!!! yeah, I suppose the order you do that in should be noted. If you were dyslexic, it would make sense though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks